Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ModelBoatMayhemImages.co.uk - New Mayhem photo server.  (Read 13597 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: ModelBoatMayhemImages - New Mayhem photo service!
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2017, 09:59:00 am »

Ok........you don't need to click on attachments. Click the new green button, this will take you to your new image hosting page. Drop all the images you want in it. Then select an image, scroll down to the options and you should come across 'BB code' copy this, then paste it in the reply box on mayhem. The new site does everything for you. I have upoaded images of over 10mb with no problems.
This new system works, give it time and follow instructions.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:42 am »

No.  I am selecting "attachments", "browse", then selecting the image from my PC disk drive.  The same as before the new image site.  As usual, the image only appears after you click "Post".  No interaction with the new image hosting site at all, nothing happens when I click Martin's new image button.  I would have thought clicking that button would have taken me to the new image site so I could select an uploaded image from it for my Post.

Probably because I have a screen name of "Bob K" on Mayhem, but "Bob_K" on the image site is seen as a different person?  The image site will not accept "Bob K" as a valid user name.

Bob - screen names are not the issue. More likely a "popup" blocker or some other setting stopping the "green" button loading MBMI window. Your understanding is correct - from the post click the "Green" button and you should see a new window - may as well get that working before explaining what comes next

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2017, 10:09:25 am »

I have joined Martins photo service & tried to upload an image. Unfortunately it will not accept an image greater than 1Mb which means that I still have to do all the resizing etc that I did before. Am I missing something?

Similar to bfgstew I have just uploaded a 7MB image no issue. I know you commented on the size of the uploaded, processed image which is a soft setting @ 1024x1024 max in the MBMI system

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:08 am »

. . . . from the post click the "Green" button and you should see a new window . . . .
C-3PO

I don't see a "green" button, just a red one, and clicking that does nothing at all.

BTW:  My images are all pre-sized correctly and would load without any further rework.  ie:  640 max size, and under 100kB
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:58 am »

Bob, You must start by clicking on reply to see the green button which sits below the B
N

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2017, 10:20:26 am »

Just above the 'thumbs up' emoji in the reply box.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2017, 10:21:34 am »

Bob,

I think the button would go green if you refresh your cache. However green or red it's this button that you click (see arrow) that should bring up a new window.

If that does not work your computer is stopping the popup opening (Adware/pop up blocker/malware or something...)

I think Martin is going to publish a "pictorial guide" of the new Image Upload process

C-3PO

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2017, 10:35:56 am »

Bob, If your images are all pre-sized anyway then practically speaking you dont actually draw any benefits from struggling with the new image hosting service,
however you may like the challenge of getting to grips with it?!
N

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:32 am »

There is no "green" button, and never was, right from when Martin first introduced it.
See screen shot below.  Yes, I have logged out many times since then, cleared my cache, even had two Windows 10 updates.  Never been a green button in that position.  Clicking it has absolutely no effect.
If the action attempts to add a pop-up I get a mini window at bottom of screen asking if I want to "allow" it.  No such indication ever seen on Mayhem.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2017, 10:43:53 am »

There is no "green" button, and never was, right from when Martin first introduced it.
See screen shot below.  Yes, I have logged out many times since then, cleared my cache, even had two Windows 10 updates.  Never been a green button in that position.  Clicking it has absolutely no effect.

However green or red it's this button that you click (see arrow) that should bring up a new window - if nothing happens when you click THE CLOUD button (RED OR GREEN) then your PC is stopping the process.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:32 am »

Bob - just tried "Internet Explorer" and button doesn't work - so I would hazard a guess it's an IE setting that is stopping the process

I use FireFox and it works fine

C-3PO

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2017, 11:32:05 am »

This might work!

Photo via Martin method

Full-Size.jpg

There I go. Now the same image posted my way as an attachment

Interesting. The quality of the Martin image is not as good even though I reduced & compressed my old system download. The Martin image also has a watermark on it.

Question
Does it matter to the forum whether I use the Martin method or the old attachment method? I prefer the old attachment method as my quality is better & my image can be seen larger.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2017, 11:44:08 am »

Bob, have you got a mobile or tablet that you can use? I very rarely use my PC to upload photo's. The faffing around of downloading onto it is taken away using the new system, plus no hassle with pop ups, firefox, safari, etc etc. I use chrome on my phone and tablet with no issues.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2017, 12:12:08 pm »

Thanks for all your kind responses.  I am just going to have to accept that the "new" system does not work for all.  No issues at all with image uploads elsewhere using Internet Explorer, just this site.  I still feel that having a space character in my Mayhem screen name, not allowable in Mayhem images, is very significant.  Not seen anyone else with space characters getting this to work.

I believe it is very significant that the new Mayhem image button is red (inactive?).

OK.  I always resize my images before uploading, so maybe the new site does not offer any real advantage over SmugMug.  Using that I can imbed the BB code anywhere in my text, to illustrate a series of points.  The direct upload to Mayhem or the new image site always stuffs them at the end and they are not visible in preview like they are when I use SmugMu BB codes in my text.

Transferring photos from my camera to mobile, where I have no means of cropping and resizing them, is not practical and would be a very long winded process.

So, until someone can figure out why Martin's new hosting gallery is not usable for all I will stick to Paint Shop Pro and SmuMug.  They are both very quick and easy to use.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:53 pm »

BobK

It is great that the wise have developed this answer for the forum. It does not matter that it is not the best answer for everybody but rather it is great that there is now an easy answer that the non technophobes will find possible to use & which secures the photos in the forum from future corporate greed etc.

As you highlight the greatest strength to me is that you can go text, photo, text, photo, photo, text etc etc in a post rather than all the text followed by all the photos. For build logs etc this is really useful & is where I would use this new facility.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »

I still feel that having a space character in my Mayhem screen name, not allowable in Mayhem images, is very significant.  Not seen anyone else with space characters getting this to work.

Bob - 100% not the case - seperate systems with their own login & naming rules

I believe it is very significant that the new Mayhem image button is red (inactive?).
100% not the case - in Internet Explorer get into the "post" screen - you will see the "Red" button - press F5 on your keyboard and the button will now go green and you will never see it RED again

C-3PO

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »

MBMI and W10 & Internet Explorer 11 incompatible! (?)

Been diggin....

Windows Internet Explorer 11 was the last version of Internet Explorer to be released by Microsoft.

Many of us who installed Windows 10 took an instant dislike to Edge and dug out IE11 instead ( an old tool which according to some sources has been deprecated)

So I think IE11 and Martin's new Image solution are incompatible

If you load IE11 and click on the Green button it generates an error message "Unable to get property 'focus' or undefined or null reference" - not visible unless you turn on the debugging options.

If you load Edge on the same W10 computer the green button will work ok.

If you have used IE11 and the Green button successfully please let us know so we can correct the record....

This is text from the developer of the Image Software that MBMI uses "IE 11 is deprecated. Which means use it on your own risk. "

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2017, 05:24:03 pm »

MS Edge has only 4.3% of the browser market, and IMHO is naff compared with IE Explorer.
Downloaded Chrome (also with limitations compared with IE) and got loads of warning messages from Nortron's. (Not as safe?).  MS are still updating IE Explorer on a regular basis.

No issue here - I will stick with Paint Shop Pro and SmugMug.  They do exactly what I want, quickly, and I can both insert photos amongst my text paragraphs, AND preview before I post. 

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2017, 06:49:31 pm »

.................................... and I can both insert photos amongst my text paragraphs...............................

For my information how do you do this. Mine always end up at the end & did when I used Explorer and still do with Edge (which I quite like)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »

Mr Tug

I crop and presize my photos in Paint Shop Pro, then drag and drop them into SmugMug.  In SmugMug I select the photo from my album of that build and "copy" the BB code for it.

I tend to write my Post texts in MS Word, so I can get It how I want and spell check.  In between the paragraphs I "paste" the copied BB code from SmugMug.  I can copy/paste several photos in between various paragraphs.
At this point it is all in Word.  I "copy" the whole text into the Mayhem Post window, including my imbedded BB codes for the images, so when I click Preview I can see them in between the text paragraphs.

Maybe a few minor edits in Mayhem, then click "Post".   Photos where I want them in amongst the text.
Handy for illustrating points in a build.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 08:07:52 pm »

Mr Tug

I crop and presize my photos in Paint Shop Pro, then drag and drop them into SmugMug.  In SmugMug I select the photo from my album of that build and "copy" the BB code for it.

I tend to write my Post texts in MS Word, so I can get It how I want and spell check.  In between the paragraphs I "paste" the copied BB code from SmugMug.  I can copy/paste several photos in between various paragraphs.
At this point it is all in Word.  I "copy" the whole text into the Mayhem Post window, including my imbedded BB codes for the images, so when I click Preview I can see them in between the text paragraphs.

Maybe a few minor edits in Mayhem, then click "Post".   Photos where I want them in amongst the text.
Handy for illustrating points in a build.

Thank you Bob K

I don't use a photo hosting website & that I suspect is the difference. I have tried building my illustrated post in a word processor - I use this method for some emails - but it won't copy & paste onto the posting blank here. Thanks again for the explanation.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Why are my Posted Photos Watermarked but Martins are Not?
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2017, 07:58:47 am »

I did a test post of a photo using the new Martin method & it got a watermark "ModelBoatMayhem.co.uk" but I notice that the photos Martin has posted from the International Model Boat Show do not have the watermark.

Why was my photo watermarked & yet Martins was not?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Why are my Posted Photos Watermarked but Martins are Not?
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2017, 08:41:33 am »

Perhaps Martin is hosting his photos on a different server, and
not on the Mayhem bulletin board server.

:-)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:18 am »

My guess is that Martin "ftp'd" the images that don't have a watermark directly to the new MBMI system -  (didn't use the MBMI upload facility)

But having just seen Umi's post you are correct they are on imgbox.com

C-3PO

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2017, 09:32:42 am »

The obvious - once you have pointed it out to me - answer.

I never checked as I had just recklessly assumed that Martin would be using the new image posting route.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.