Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lettering for ships names.  (Read 1527 times)

overthesea

• Full Mayhemer
Lettering for ships names.
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »

Hi Everyone,
Does anybody know where I can get white rub down letters to make up ships names. I need them to be 14pt (6MM) but no bigger. Have tried searching the internet but cannot seem to find them.
If not does anyone know how to print white on black paper?
Thank you.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lettering for ships names.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:53 am »

Have you tried BECC lettering? although 6mm is really small or David Leftley graphics?
Regards,

Rich

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:46:39 am »

Hi Everyone,

If not does anyone know how to print white on black paper?

Do it the other way round. On white paper, print white text in a black box.

In WORD, or similar - type out text in correct font and set to BOLD.  Change text colour to blue.   From Insert tab select <shapes> and place a rectangular box around the text.  Highlight the box, select < fill> and choose black. 

From the <Insert> tab select < send  backward> <send behind text>

Highlight the text and change the colour to white.

Print, the text is readable

It is quicker to create the black box first and add white text on top, but then it is easy to get lost and have start again.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:03:47 pm »

Buy the white decal paper just for this purpose! Its not expensive for 5 sheet A4 packs on ebay it will last for years! This allows you to print whatever you want - names, plimsol marks,  depth marks for the bows etc and of course at any size you want - depending on how good your printer is. I have a colour laserjet, the print is fantastic, but you can get good results from ordinary inkjet printers.

I'm this week running off circles with a 'F' inside them to go on the fronts of fire hose cupboards. The reason for using white instead of the transparent is obvious. On the white paper 'fill' the background colour, in your case black, easily done in microsoft Word or other similar progams, then change the text colour to white job done! The transparent paper I began with thinking it was easier to print what I needed, then have the background colour show through the transparent part, ok for some colours but not white. Also I found with strong background colours like black or other dark colours, it makes the decal colour look darker than you want.

So now I use the white paper and an app downloadable to your phone, it works like this, you need the white for lettering, but you need to match the background colour on the parts of the decal around your lettering. The app is a colour grabber, point the phone at your chosen background colour, press the button and it give you the hex code and rgb code numbers for the colour. All you do then is 'fill' the background colour of your decal to match these figures in Word, thne print your text in white again job done.

overthesea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »

Hi rnli12==brian60==and kimmel,
Many thanks for your suggestions will give them a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.