Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: a grand day out, grommit.  (Read 7755 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
a grand day out, grommit.
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:02 pm »

Off for a grand day out tomorrow setting off at 05.00 hours.

Been invited up to watch the launching of the new Calmac ferry Glenn Sannox , which will hit the roads after her naming by Scottish First Minister Nicola Surgeon at 13.45 hours.......... should be a nice day if it's not raining........take my brolly just in case........and my camera, lol.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: a grand day out, grommit.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:08 pm »

Lucky you Neil. I have only ever been to one ship launching, and that was way back on 1st March 1980 when HMAS Tobruk, a Landing Ship Heavy, was launched in Newcastle NSW. Unfortunately I have no photos of the occasion <:( . A cousin of my wife's worked at the shipyard at the time, and I went at his invitation.

As a footnote, HMAS Tobruk was recently decommissioned, and is being stripped preparatory to being sunk to form an artificial reef, off the Queensland coast near Bundaberg.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:03:31 pm »

Have a great day Neil. Now don't forget the camera as that is a serious offence.. :police:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:23 pm »

cheers guys.........this will be my second...............went by invitation with a party of school kids to Birkenhead 31 years ago last Tuesday to see HMS UNSEEN an Upholder class diesel electric submarine take to the Mersey......she slipped into the river on a very calm water and literally disappeared into the thick fog that shrouded the river. she lived up to her name that day .......a very awe inspiring experience, and looking forward to this one.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:34:50 pm »

Neil..........any ship launching is a great event  :-)) especially for those watching their work slide into the water

I have never had the pleasure witnessing a launching but had walked on the floor of our Captain Cook graving dock for every vessel on the blocks for refit/repair...[again unfortunate as it is a Federal Offence using cameras in Naval Establishments]

Peter......HMAS Tobruk had a chequered history  >>:-(...& usually due to Government funding

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:18 pm »

I take it that there is a bit more superstructure to add to her yet before she enters service?  Looks like a distinct lack of windows!!

Have a great day mate, take lots of photos.  You never know, either you or I may yet build a model of her!!!  :-))

marker

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:13:56 pm »

Peter     The history of Carrington Slipways video, The HMAS Tobruk at about 17 mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMUxUTbFaw

Mark

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 12:04:09 am »

I take it that there is a bit more superstructure to add to her yet before she enters service?  Looks like a distinct lack of windows!!

Have a great day mate, take lots of photos.  You never know, either you or I may yet build a model of her!!!  :-))

hi carl...........yes two decks to go on between the aft of the forrard superstructure and the funnels.......should look the bizz then............

i'll wait for your kit and buy one.lol.........

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:43 am »

Have a nice day Neil! She looks like a fine ship, and I will also wait for Carl's kit of her {-)
Some day I'd like to visit Scotland and the islands of the West coast.
Hope to see some more pictures this afternoon.  :-))
Hama

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 12:25:00 pm »

cheers guys.........this will be my second...............went by invitation with a party of school kids to Birkenhead 31 years ago last Tuesday to see HMS UNSEEN an Upholder class diesel electric submarine take to the Mersey......she slipped into the river on a very calm water and literally disappeared into the thick fog that shrouded the river. she lived up to her name that day .......a very awe inspiring experience, and looking forward to this one.

I was on that launch it was one of the many I have been on.  First one was a bulk carrier and the last HMS Campbell Town.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:43 pm »

Peter     The history of Carrington Slipways video, The HMAS Tobruk at about 17 mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMUxUTbFaw

Mark

Thank you for that Mark, it brought back memories for me. My wife comes from the Lake Macquarie area and we used to go down there every year to visit her family. As I said in my first post, one of her cousins worked at the Carrington Slipway at the time, and as the launching of Tobruk coincided with one of our visits, he invited me to the ceremony.

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »

absolutely kerknackered........keep falling asleep in my beer.
set off this morning from poulton at 04.50 hours...........torrential rain all way up, all day and all way home...............plus fog south of Shap for 15 miles on way home with speed limit of 30mph with trucks still overtaking at 50-60 mph.

Got home at 21.00 hours........16 hours later

soaked to the skin, dog wet through and shivering..................but we wouldn't have missed a second of the discomfort for twice the crap thrown at us, lol..........absolutely fabulous day.........and what a feeling.
Nicola sturgeon did the honours.............and she [ the ship] didn't move...............for two minutes..........................then with a clunk of one of the rams gently giving a helping hand, she started to slowly slide...................and was in the water within 20 seconds.............had a lump in my throat.............and my daughter was just over the moon...............her first launch.........just a brilliant day.

got a video to download, but my youtube membership is defunct with google taking "charge" as I haven't used it since 2012................. so that'll have to wait.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:08:26 am »

Great photos.  One of them showing the large stabilising keels has a nice curve in it to follow the flow of water.  I had maintained a belief that some of these keels were curved but was 'corrected' on this point when discussing the construction of a Swartze Zee model.
Pity about the weather!  I have a lot of time for the lady who launched the ship though.
regards Roy

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:46:27 am »

Have a nice day Neil! She looks like a fine ship, and I will also wait for Carl's kit of her {-)
Some day I'd like to visit Scotland and the islands of the West coast.
Hope to see some more pictures this afternoon.  :-))
Hama

hi hama.........you want to.............the clan are so friendly and it's probably a miniature of Norway and Sweden in topography............and a beautiful and historic country to explore......you would enjoy it thoroughly........and there are ferries everywhere to take short, medium and longer trips on. don't leave it too long.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »

I was on that launch it was one of the many I have been on.  First one was a bulk carrier and the last HMS Campbell Town.

which one, boat captain........HMS UNSEEN........I still have the ticket as a memento.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 12:05:34 pm »

Nice photos there.

The thought just occured to me, not seen the correlation before. Scotland seems to have a penchant for naming its first ministers after fish... Alex Salmon, now Nicola Sturgeon  {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »

Great photos.  One of them showing the large stabilising keels has a nice curve in it to follow the flow of water.  I had maintained a belief that some of these keels were curved but was 'corrected' on this point when discussing the construction of a Swartze Zee model.
Pity about the weather!  I have a lot of time for the lady who launched the ship though.
regards Roy

she gave a great, short, none political and totally unscripted speech Roy.......and  was a real attribute to the proceedings. as I say, a great day, weather didn't detract from the occasion, and I woke up dry this morning if a little shrivelled lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:04 pm »

Nice photos there.

The thought just occured to me, not seen the correlation before. Scotland seems to have a penchant for naming its first ministers after fish... Alex Salmon, now Nicola Sturgeon  {-)

{-) {-) you are dead right..........bit of a salty story no doubt, %% %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:31 pm »

Great snaps Neil....after seeing your highlighted image of bilge keel that you were  :o attracted to, I see that Roy also questioned this

I have seen many a bilge keel & never found one that was not flat & gently curved, however uniform in contour .....could this be something new in design created by computer modelling?......the leading edge being a fin and thinner that the plate thickness .......as I cannot see the Build Inspector approving a bent & wobbly strip of steel glued onto the hull  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »

just downloaded the video I shot through the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKLTmzE-C0&feature=youtu.be

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 08:55:22 am »

which one, boat captain........HMS UNSEEN........I still have the ticket as a memento.

That's the one.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 02:03:59 pm »

Looks as though you had a great day out you two.

A pity I couldn't go along, as still not feeling right at all, and I don't think I'd have been up to all the stress of the motorways and all that rain but your video was great.

You were in a great position to shoot it. superb. :-))

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 03:01:31 pm »

Very nice to be a guest at a launch Neil
Hope your girl gets to drive her one day
as Captain.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »

I'd be the proudest man alive if she were to, Ned.

RST

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »

I would not want to share the same ground within a mile of a certain person mentioned before but I remember years ago I watched the last type 23 Frigate launch from the top of the slip in the shed as a Nav. Arch. student at the time.  It was a great day out.  I still have a stainless steel keyring / shillouette of the boat cut from the laser cutter.  That's not bad for me as it was the best part of 20 years ago now and I have lost pretty much everything else within 6 months of getting it.

Seeing a shiped launched down a slip is a grand sight.  Much better than re-floating in a dry dock!  I'd love to see a side launch like they do on the continent one day.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.