Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Second Seabex One ---- called Seabex two  (Read 14832 times)

RST

Re: Second Seabex One ---- called Seabex two
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 12:18:54 am »

Seems a bit of a shame as you have the seabex one you could not model the sister-ship: seacom / norskald before osprey before my time on her,Acergy then SS7!

one of threee series at "Chantilliers" th3 3rd sister never got built.

,...The ships are legendary back in  the day for diving capacity.

...like I say -it would be nice to model a seacom /norskald / osprey: everyone seems to think of seabex instead.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:37 am »

Thank you for your input RST   :-))

I've looked at the ships you mention  (Google time!)  and they are different in construction.  I was stuck with the hull shape I had and considered alternatives but could find nothing that was similar so I went back to the Seabex design.

I suppose the variation would be in the deck furniture, so I'm placing stuff on board to fill her up.

Still working on them railings as new material stock has arrived so it's back to the work room for more tiny drilling.   ok2

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »

Your Seabex seems to be missing the moonpool. Did the previous owner ommit this? 
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 10:32:39 am »

No Tafelsptz. It did come with a hole but I have filled it in.   %)

The hull is plated over and smoothed to match the base.  My reason is that at speed  (so I have read !) the water would slurp up into the boat. I did have one on the first version but never launched it so cannot really comment on its performance.

Still making stanchions.   :}

ken

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:01 am »

I see. I never had this problem with mine, as far as I can remember, and I sailed her a lot. Ah well, makes yours all the more special  :}
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 10:51:33 am »

The captain wants to go surfing.    {-)

I have also fitted twin props instead of schottles so normal driving ahead.

cheers

ken

RST

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 12:47:27 am »

Thank you for your input RST   :-))

I've looked at the ships you mention  (Google time!)  and they are different in construction.  I was stuck with the hull shape I had and considered alternatives but could find nothing that was similar so I went back to the Seabex design.

I suppose the variation would be in the deck furniture, so I'm placing stuff on board to fill her up.

Still working on them railings as new material stock has arrived so it's back to the work room for more tiny drilling.   ok2
ken

Hi Ken,

Nah-no worries.  The hulls and superstructure were essentially the same at the beginning -think they had the same aft crane also as we used the original "tub" below decks as a rigging store (apart from the exposed moonpool(s)).  It all went different afterwards, the sister had sponsons added later, the Seabex One was significantly modified (lengthened etc.) and is barely recognisable these days.

I take my hat off to you for modelling the Seabex anyway and I have hull plans but making from scratch would be allot of effort.  Both ships were an absolutely awesome machine.  Allot of guys I used to work with were on her and the Orelia.

Lots of azimuth propellors, some fixed speed -variable pitch, some variable speed, fixed pitch + tunnel thrusters the same.  We had a fair few problems with motors burning out and loosing DP3 capacity.  Great sea-handling boat though (too good-we stayed out when most newer boats went in for bad weather  -total puke bucket for some project engineers!!).  Pretty much the last to pull divers -stay in the field, first to put them back down.

Sorry -I'm reminiscing and digressed  %)

Rich

RST

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:04 am »

...By the way, if you're looking at deck clutter.  Hyperbaric welding and installation of spoolpieces was big back in the day.

If you look at early pictures of the back-deck on the web you might make out a mobilised spread which has a big white "habitat" and two "arch" shaped objects with big feet.  The habitat might have been a one atmosphere set-up they welded pipe in.  The "arches" were alignment clamps placed either sides.  They would sit on the sea bed and "clamp" the pipe so it could be moved left-right-up-down for fit-up of the weld in the habitat.  There would be a HUGE amount of deck containers, hydraulic powerpacks, air treatment and associated equipment to make this work.  Lots and lots of reels of hydraulic pipe and smaller downlines.  You could fill the deck almost totally with this kit (and I tried to fit it on the Osprey once for a tender) -you can't get away with it these days due to stretcher access, ventillation requirements, extra accomodation needed etc etc.  For all the offshore service vessels I have seen modelled, I haven't seen many with a fully loaded deck so far.  A good challenge for you perhaps LoL?

Rich

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 10:00:44 am »

That's exactly the sort of clutter that I was looking for ...watch this space.   ok2

Work has stopped for a while as I am building another single decker bus ( flat pack version) for a client.  %)   I really don't have time to scratch  !!  it's nice to be busy.

cheers

ken

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 09:01:08 pm »

Hello!
I just now watched a Norwegian movie from -13, called "Pione'r" (Pioneer). It' s about North sea oil divers during the eighties and it' s quite good, being a thriler inspired by true event's . Anyhow, there are quite a lot of scenes containing "Seabex one" or sisters! Good for reference  :-))
Hama

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »

Gosh !!  that's interesting Hama.

Two things I've noticed.  There are double the lifeboats and a very 'cluttered' stern deck. I also notice the crane cabin is way up the centre section ?  ( I've stuck mine on now)

I guess mine will have to look like no other.   ;)

Cheers

ken

RST

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 02:20:26 am »

...any chance of a weblink please as I'm facinated but not found a match.

If youre interested in this kind of history the following website may be of interest. Whilst I'm too young to have worked in the "pioneering days".  I worked with lots of "old" guys who were "young" on all this sites photos and videos.  I used to work with a  guy who was on the original Hydrogen gas diving scheme and one who was on the panel on the deepest dive with Leo.

This link is well worth a good browse, It has an absolutely hoooooge amount of info, pics and videos buried in it.

http://www.anciencomex.com/pagesen/10_lienspag.html

RST

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 02:21:56 am »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:23 am »

Fantastic.     :-))     :-))

ken

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 11:44:54 am »

If you google Seabex One you will find that she is now the Kreuz Installer, and currently in the Singapore area. She has been altered quite a bit and there are quite a few pictures of her.

LB

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »

I just did and am impressed with some details.

I've started back on  'them railings'  today as new 2mm pipe has arrived.  I'll let you know the total stanchions when I've finished.   :}

ken

RST

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2017, 03:21:27 am »

If you google Seabex One you will find that she is now the Kreuz Installer, and currently in the Singapore area. She has been altered quite a bit and there are quite a few pictures of her.

LB

...Presumably still the "Venturer" in a different name again.  It's interesting how long the old boats keep working,  they're often better in heavy seas than the replacements so "flagships" come and go but sometimes the older boats are still "last-in first out" in heavy weather LoL. 

RST

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 03:26:42 am »

Never come across the info before but apparently she was the "Dynamic Constructor" before CSO days.  I quite like the blue / black paint scheme...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:35 pm »

Is that a white boot topping or a lot of rime along the hull? That would be some weathering to recreate.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 11:27:14 am »

My goodness.  That's weathering to the extreme.   :}

Works is continuing at a slow pace so no pictures yet.  I need to paint a bit to be able to continue, but the weather is bit cold at the Mo !

Cheers

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 10:23:58 am »

The workshop was all warmed up and paint spraying continued with masks and breathing equipment.   {-)

I have sprayed the upper decks a lovely shade of green.  Now where can I get some large circles in white.  ?

The stanchions are temporarily hammered in (square peg in a round hole !)  and the picture frame wire run through the holes.

What is recommended here, chaps. ?  Pull taught and superglue !

We then had to remove the funnels for paint and started with the red colour.  When this is dry, we will put some  'bands of colour'  around the tops.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 10:52:00 am »

The wheelhouse section has it's railings, temporally in place.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:11 pm »

Hm, circles. Well, if you don't mind a little relief in your markings then you could go down the cut vinyl route and stick them on. I recall Dave Woolley masking his Russian carrier deck to spray the markings on, so if you can find a method on line then that is an option. I imagine it will take several hours to mask and about fifteen minutes to spray! Just make sure the base colour is fully cured before you lay masking tape on so that it doesn't peel off when removing the tape  >:-o Also, I read recently that once masked and prepped, if you spray the base colour on first, it blocks any little wrinkles in the tape that cause uneven edges when you spray the marking colours.

There may be genric decals for putting circles and other shapes on, but I am not aware of any sources specifically.

She's looking good Ken  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 09:27:31 am »

What is the thinking with the flexible rail material .Would it not have been easier with brass rod.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:56 am »

Thanks for the comments Chaps. 

I'm thinking of printing the circles as my painting isn't up to much.  I'm going the epoxy route on the stanchions and the loose wire will be soldered firmly.  (hopefully !)

Cheers
ken
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.