Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mount fleet st lancelot  (Read 2303 times)

typhoon

mount fleet st lancelot
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:40:57 pm »

has anyone built the mount fleet kit sir lancelot. what is the kit like, does it sail well. iv built a couple of models from mount fleet range but i have always like the look of this superb model. any information would be appreciated.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: mount fleet st lancelot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:19:18 pm »

I've not built this model but I've heard that it can be a bit tender (wobbly on the water) due to the top weight. Maybe others can give further information.

It certainly looks good though.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:37 pm »

I have heard the same Colin ( all that white metal fittings I think ) but nothing that couldn't be solved with a bit more lead in the keel of the boat ( or even a clip on ballast keel below the hull ).

It does make up into a really good looking model tho and its been a while since I heard of any real problems with it ( altho i'd defer to people that have actually built it )

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

typhoon

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:54:24 pm »

i have heard the sir kay the caldercraft kit is top heavy, although the sir lanclot is a much larger model and maybe more stable. i dont know.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:42:11 am »

It does actually seem to be a bit of a problem with a number of kits of this type of subject.  My HMS Enigma is also a bit on the top heavy side, which is hardly surprising when you think that there are five additional white metal guns, one of which a 12 pdr, stuck to the top of the model.

You can allow for the weight in the ballasting phase of making the model but what you have to take into consideration as well is the stability of the finished item.  Too much weight up top will make it slow to respond to heeling and then prone to shipping the odd wave as she hangs over.  There is of course only so much weight that you can put in the bottom, limited by the designed load line, so remedies are limited to replacing the guns with alternatives made from resin or scratch built or removing weight from other areas of the model, such as reducing decks and bulkhead thicknesses, mast's etc.

At the end of the day it is up to the modeller and the individual model but I would recommend a lot of thought goes into the planning and design of this type of kit before committing to the construction.  The Enigma is now fine and my own remedy was to ballast her a bit on the heavy side.  This also has the effect of allowing water on the decks when it gets fresh but if you ensure the decks are sealed and the wash ports are free and she should be able to cope OK.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 08:54:45 am »

On a model you can usually "steal" a bit of extra displacement by running it slightly lower in the water than intended. Because the first inch or so of water in most lakes is usually fairly transparent and the boat will be moving through ripples, if not wavelets, the boot topping will still show up normally. (and the boat may be rolling a bit as well).

So, as Bunkerbarge says, a bit of overballasting will help a lot.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:20:50 am »

You will have to get approval from Lloyds though for an increase in draught and move the draught marks to the new position!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.