Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery life?  (Read 6902 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battery life?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:54:16 am »

Yes Aldi has them here also, bought one for my son's Jet Ski, AKA wave runner, will check it out and maybe borrow it.

Car battery charger is back in the cupboard.

My smart charger is one of those Imax B6's, 240V, V2.
The Imax will be fine with a battery that has a full set of working cells. 
If the battery in the jet ski is a lead acid starter battery, its charger is likely to give the same problems - if its a smart one it might well outsmart itself, if it isn't it might deliver too high a current for safe charging.  A battery with a dud cell is headed for recycling.  The redeeming feature of lead batteries is that they are very recyclable.  But only with the right sort of factory.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 01:37:30 pm »

30+ years ago, a colleague at work decided to charge an SLA (approx 7Ah size) using a limited curent PSU at a low current.  He left it on all night.  The next morning the SLA was completely spherical.   We drew lots on who would approach close enough to turn it off.
 :} :} :}

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »

Then perhaps you might recommend a particular type and a "local" source for it, Peter, or are you keeping it a secret in case you start a rush on them?

Dave M

No secret Dave. I have two Powertech peak detection chargers for SLA batteries, one is 6v only as all my SLAs are 6v, and one suitable for 6 or 12 volts. I bought them in a small electronics store in Ballina some years ago, sadly, no longer there, but I believe they, or something similar, are available from the Autobarn chain. I also have an Imax smart charger which I bought online, although I have since discovered that it is a "knock off", distinguishable by the lack of a holographic sticker on the casing. However it works very well, so I'm not complaining - too much %)

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.