Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tank Smoker  (Read 2536 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Tank Smoker
« on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:08 pm »

Have just aquired a Hen Long Tank smoker, which I am going to play about with.  Does anyone know the voltages that go to 1. the bellows motor & 2. the smoke unit itself or are they both the same?
Thanks

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tank Smoker
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:33:48 pm »

Not sure offhand, but be aware they're notoriously unreliable.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:23:03 pm »

Best thing to do with them is put it in the bin and buy something else. I've taken them out of each of our tanks as they're awful. If it's for a tank that you want it, then I think TARR smokers are the recommended type: https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/p34/TARR_Smoke_Unit.html

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:08:37 pm »

Everybody over fills them and drowns the element inside. It is only a fine element wire and with 'gallons' of smoke fluid to contend with, they don't succeed. The latest units are far superior to the originals. I would suggest 6v or 7.2v direct.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:34 pm »

Everybody over fills them and drowns the element inside. It is only a fine element wire and with 'gallons' of smoke fluid to contend with, they don't succeed. The latest units are far superior to the originals. I would suggest 6v or 7.2v direct.

Have to disagree with you there, that may be the issue sometimes, but I measure out the fluid with a pipette for my Bulldog, it still only works occasionally. Works better on my sons Tiger I, never worked despite being able to hear it on my other sons Pershing, and never worked on a 2nd Bulldog. The other issue I know of is that the piston that pumps the smoke out often doesn't fit properly, so doesn't pump properly/at all. Someone did manage to fix theirs by packing it out with something, but for the cost of the TARR unit, it doesn't seem worth it. They seem most effective at reducing battery life.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:58 pm »

I like Tarr smokers use them in my tanks and now my boat too, brilliant little units don't take up much space and very reliable too
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.