Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: His Majesty's Tug Terrier - would become the Steam Tug Kerne  (Read 2731 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
His Majesty's Tug Terrier - would become the Steam Tug Kerne
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »

Here's a photo that was new to me of HMT Terrier (which would be renamed Kerne at a later date)  Terrier is one of the two option offered by the Mountfleet kit of the Kerne.  Photos of Terrier are uncommon and usually of poor quality.  This is pretty good and shows some unusual detail.  The pic was taken at Chatham and shows Terrier with the Brazilian Sail Training Ship "Almirante Saldanha" in 1936.
 A couple of thing about Terrier stand out in the photo.  Her mast is unstepped, not lowered but completely removed.  The steel mast tabernacle is still present implying that this is temporary.  Terrier's Navigation light are unshipped and appear to be stowed on the boiler casing. Other photos show her with 3 lifebelts mounted on the bridge front instead of two.
 The main point of interest are the fold down weather boards around the open bridge, other photos show canvas dodgers suspended from stanchions and wire.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: His Majesty's Tug Terrier - would become the Steam Tug Kerne
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »

Nice picture of her, always fancied a model of her, being an ex Chatham man, though by the time I joined the steamers were memories of the older hands, though Kerne rings a bell as I worked on the motor barges before upgrading to the P.A.S. With reference to the nav lights I would expect with a small basin tug of her age they would be oil lamps, which would be required to be filled, then trim the wicks before lighting. Plus as a basin tug she would work normal work hours in a small basin with no river traffic to bother her.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: His Majesty's Tug Terrier - would become the Steam Tug Kerne
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »

Just been looking at your picture, it is brilliant as it shows the other small basin tug that is push pull on the engine tug hidden by Terrier also has no mast, so perhaps because they were always darting about under various ships flares and mooring ropes they left the masts down? I think I can see myself getting a kit as my Xmas present to myself, just about the right size and weight for me to lift nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.