Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marbles and mojo.......lost again  (Read 6278 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Marbles and mojo.......lost again
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:34:34 am »

I have been struggling for the last month with no Mojo, and slowly losing my marbles over it. Went to Deans open day, great. Went to Warwick again enjoyed myself.  But for the last couple of weeks I've really not had much inclination to do anything. Im still trying to plod along with a billings progress trawler refurb, but go to the loft and to be honest just sit in there doing nothing. Havd tidied the benches and shelves etc.  All the bits for final reassembly are there, but i just sit there and do nothing. Last week i even start an airfix mk ix Spitfire. It has less than 30 parts. Its sitting up there now, fuz joined awaiting wings! I cannot even be bothered to do that!
I need to get back into it as ive ordered the 1/144 revel corvette to do a group build on here!
Help????????
Ps im mot stressed at home or work.....i just cannt get in the groove to do anything
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Marbles and mojo.......lost again
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 06:45:55 am »

I can sympathise with you as I am in the same boat.
Two boats started but no progress for most of this year.   Another one needing repairs but 'hay ho' no inclination.  <:(
At least I can blame it on last years chemo.   <*<

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:15:28 am »

Take a break Klunk, do something completely different or do nothing at all. Just don't worry about it, keep losing mine, so that's it, lock the man cave up and paint the kitchen, learn mandarin, do those little jobs you keep putting off anything but building bl***y boats............try it, works for me..... :-))

Good luck in finding ya mojo

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:39:54 am »

Hi Klunk, you sound like you have SAD, (lack of sunlight) try a 1 minute session on a sunbed. Might do the trick

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:52:15 am »

To get things done i start on the model just after breakfast with the radio on ( 60s pop if possible) I get more done this way than any other way One model at a time I have the London bus kit sitting untouched won't start it till finished the other models. Which are the USA coast guard waterway patrol boat saved from the bin and is half built and a cabin cruiser built but needs refurbed in the shed wrapped up for winter. Tempted to switch from one to the other but that doesn't work from experience. At times I don't want to work on the model so I walk away as i end up with a rubbish job done

I take vitamin D as I miss the sun I had when down in Kent that does help

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:44 am »

Hi

To tell you the truth I never had any get up and go when it comes down to modeling, I just do some as and when I feel like it.

But I would go along with Jarvo it could be a case of SAD, as I seem to be more up to working on the boat's when it is sunny, so give the sun bed a try and if it works have a look for a SAD light.

I see that you work in your loft would you be working under strip light? how old are the lights? are they Sun light strip's? do you have any natural light coming in to the loft? these are all thing that need to be taken in to account.

I hope that it all works out O.K for you soon after all we used to have 28 day's holiday a year to help us get our get up and go back.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:43:01 am »

I have had the same when building Fairmount, it was not just that it was every thing in the workshop, even going out to the shoots ,and that something I do like to do. I thought it was the S.A.D thing so of to the medics ,blood tests it turned out it is Polymyalgia Rheumatica  , now on 6mg steroids and all is ok ,stopped the steroids as a test back to square one, steroids working again .
As you will understand we are all different , you do not want this complaint it can have a bad out come if not kept under control.
David   
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 09:55:54 am »

Hi Klunk, been there these last few days and it may well be the SAD syndrome so you are not alone.  Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Yesterday I decided it all needed a big tidy up and put stuff back in the right boxes I sorted out all my nice fittings mainly those nice Billings brass ones.  I cleared the work top.  I keep a lot of my stuff in those clear plastic ice cream boxes and label the contents.  Warm up the workshop and I have given myself a deadline to finish part of the boat I am working on.
So I shall see if it works for me.
all the best Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:02:52 am »

I have to agree with bfgstew, take a break from modelling and do something completely different. I found getting out of the house helped, just walking or jumping on the bus (no driving stress). I used to buy the 7 day rover bus tickets (cheapest way to travel) and just wander around. Sometimes  I would walk from home (point A) to point B and bus home, next day bus to point B and walk to point C, bus home, etc. I got to see a lot of the local countryside that I hadn't seen in years, and a lot more.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 01:17:42 pm »

Was it you klunk who dressed up as a penguin at Warwick a few shows back?
If so then I would say you lost your Marbles ages ago.  {-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 01:36:38 pm »

Nah....wasn't me guv.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »

No problem for us beginner's as it's all new to us and we're all keen and enthusiastic!  :-)

This time of year doesn't help but it's not unusual with any hobby. Another of mine is motorcycles and I've hardly ridden any of them for the last couple of years and used to be on the forums for hours but haven't bothered much lately.

Same with photography, I have periods when I'm out and about a lot but at other times (like now) I don't touch the camera for weeks.

Like others have said, if you can get into something new, give it a go, get your mojo back and then return to modelling.

Chris 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:13 pm »

I was like that for 18 months Klunk......mid build of my daughters Calmac ferry...........and was part of the reason I was off here.........but there is no easy fix........it was partly depression with me and partly I had lost interest in the topic I was building............and then........SNAP.............one day I woke up and thought I want to finish this build.........and within 3-4 months it was complete, I had rediscovered my "mojo" and am again enjoying modelling........can't even remember why I suddenly got back into it.........perhaps watching others sail at Fleetwood, talking to old mates down there....haven't a clue...........but you are a fantastic modeller...........and it will come back.........just when you are not expecting it.........just enjoy the break whilst it is with you.

neil.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 03:59:29 pm »

Three years ago I would do the same - just sit there and do very little modelling. In fact I would get angry at myself that I wanted to do something but didn't know what! A month later I was promoted and posted to my current Squadron and my free time rapidly disappeared with detachments all over the world. The first year was depressing because I couldn't do any modelling but whilst I was deployed as part of Op Shader I bought HMS Dreadnought as a kit from Ron Dean. The time spent not modelling became dedicated to research and planning which allowed me to complete the model in 18 months. I think a break from physical modelling allows you to sort out your project so when you start again you are energised and enjoy building again.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 11:06:15 pm »

Hi Klunk well I did the tidy up and found odds and ends I had lost and got on with 3 hours rigging not a lot to show but progress!  I watched TV afterwards, Robot wars, did you see Ant at our exhibition with the Tamiya trucks?  Behemoth was sitting there looking at us!
regards Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:59 pm »

I recently lost my MOJO, and a project needed bigger props and the money to buy them! I did my first bit of modelling today, but the SAD definitly saps your enthusiasm. I am taking Vitamin D, but the cold snap has made these less effective.

Your MOJO will return mate  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:34 am »

my trick is to do just one thing every day, whether it be a single piece glued in place or something like varnishing the stern timber, just one thing a day, and things keep progressing, (currently doing side deck supports).

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:22:04 am »

Don't leave the workshop with an unsolved problem looming if you can possibly avoid it - it puts you off coming back. Stop when things are going well and you will look forward to resuming.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:02 am »

Occasionally I get frustrated in my increasing difficulties working with fine detail, and have to put it all aside until I can build up a decent head of steam again.  This is especially true when large numbers of similar tiny parts or brush lettering is required.  In my late teens my eyes were fine for close up detail work, even 2.5mm lettering on slot car bodies, although I needed glasses for distance then.
Now my eyes have been reversing, no need of glasses for driving, but I have special ones for model work.  It does not help that my fingers are not so dextrous as they used to be when I was younger.  The result is I find I am too often trying to do the kind of fine work that I used to, and I get miffed when my age prevents me from things like 1/96 coffee cups for the chart room.

So, I try to get on with something else, then return to it when I am in the mood.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 11:31:01 am »

Colin - To be honest I find the opposite to be true in my case. I find that if I have a problem at work or with DIY/a hobby I'll wake up early or whilst having a shave, the answer will come to me and I can't wait to get started again!

What you say can be true though because once you start having a problem or things start going wrong you lose interest. I find it best to stop then and when I do restart I find it easy, well most times!

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 11:42:33 am »

Chris, I quite agree that sleeping on a problem or leaving it for a few days can stimulate the subconscious into finding a solution.

Usually when doing one task I am also thinking about the next one and if I havn't sussed it out by the time I have finished the present job then is the time to let it marinate for a while until the solution becomes clear.

The only problem I find with this approach is that having worked out mentally exactly how you are going to tackle something, actually doing it can be a bit tedious as you feel you've done it twice!

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 12:48:15 pm »

Hi, do not let perceived age or dexterity put you off, do everything while you can, no one gets younger so find a way of coping with what you want to do. 
I bought a magnifying lens head set it was less than £10 on the Net and it does make things easier for me.  I know what you mean with fumbly fingers though, tweezers can help especially the locking ones.
Keep Calm and Carry On!
Roy

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »

I agree with Grendel I often find that making a start leads to more than I intended to do also don/t leave the hardest bits until last treat them as a challenge and do them as early as possible  Bill....

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »

I must admit I to have seem to have lost my mojo a bit as well...I keep going into my mans cave and looking at the boats i have on the go and then i simply cant be bothered.
This is why i have been deep under cover on here so to speak....yes of course i thoughrely enjoyed running the blackpol show and it had me thinking....WHY  dont i just get on with it....So plan B was formed....build an extension on the shed....well you see a  16x16 shed isnt big enough for Stav !

An extension i hear you all cry.....well the master plan is simply really.....put all the built and part built boats into it rearrange shed rewire it and wey hey a tidy shed......might even find Neils chuck key in there  ha flipping ha.

One thing i will admit to was loosing my MO JO  was partly to do with what i can only describe as the flop that happened at the Coalville show and I personally think thats why i didnt attend this years Mayhem bash....BUT  after the resounding success of Blackpool my heart is back into modelling.....so Klunk m8 onwards and upwards old bean

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 09:27:52 pm »

Hi Dave, When we spoke at Haydock, you seemed down then, worrying about Blackpool????  Don't mate, you have turned the show into possibly the best show in the country, it's not an easy think running a show like Blackpool, but you have shown that with determination it did happen.

Thanks from me, had a great time, SWIMBO not amused spent too much but what the hell. Cheers Dave, cant wait till next year.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.