Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Printed Trawler  (Read 9078 times)

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
3D Printed Trawler
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:33:01 am »

Hello Guys

Been a while since I posted on the Forum, just wanted to share my latest project. I'm planning to print this 16.50m inshore trawler

the Rebeca Jeneen at 1/24th scale. She's been designed using Autodesk Fusion 360.

Guys i'd like to hear anyones thoughts on my design!!

Thanks for looking

Marty
Never hit the beach with both anchors home

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: 3D Printed Trawler
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:31 am »

Very nice lines Marty, i have seen a couple of 3d printed models on the web, where the model was built in sections with deck and motor mounts included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIjdgTiP0o&t=259s
This guy included loads of additions to make each section complete, nearly an A.R.T.S.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:10:46 am »

Hello Guys

Been a while since I posted on the Forum, just wanted to share my latest project. I'm planning to print this 16.50m inshore trawler

the Rebeca Jeneen at 1/24th scale. She's been designed using Autodesk Fusion 360.

Guys i'd like to hear anyones thoughts on my design!!

Thanks for looking

Marty

Wow......that looks amazing. how long would it be, Marty, and would it be in sections as said in the post above.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:31:18 am »

Hello Jim

Thank you for your kind words earlier. When Printed at 1/24th she'll be 69cm in length. I've also designed a range of Thistle Marine power block crane kits that will be for sale shortly, also at 1/24th.

I have the hull as one complete piece and the wheelhouse will be designed in the coming weeks. everything else will be done by built hand.

I've just started two other hulls one 19m twin rigger the Green Isle OB945 and a Pelagic Trawler at 75m.

I'll be posting pictures as the progress in the coming weeks.

Cheers

Marty

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 11:36:06 pm »

Any updates, following with great intrigue.

Cheers

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:57:08 am »

Thanks for the enquire...... Heres a screenshot of a design I'm currently working on. Ready to print in the coming weeks when I return home from work.

She's a 75m pelagic trawler at 1/72nd scale. My plan is to have her sectioned up and printed in 5 sections bonding together with some clever jointing.

The hull will be 2.5mm thick and at the moment I'm cutting into the hull external details in the way of freeing ports and openings around the stern.
I have the wheelhouse designed also, deck machinery is 50% complete and she'll be fully RC as-well.

I'll update again in the coming weeks on the progress.

Cheers

Martin

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »

Looks great, is ur plan to sell or just ur own projects.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:32:38 am »

Looks like a whole new way of hull building - pretty interesting stuff!

Like to see photos of the wheelhouse and power block cranes.

Thanks for posting.

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys....

This is just for myself at the moment, I've had some interest from a few folk wanting to buy the hulls, however if i was to sell them I'm not sure people would pay the price I'd ask. to be completely honest printing them is fairly straight forward, however the time if you take to print one hull would be around 60-70hrs, then assembly and some light finishing work. I would be asking around £250 GBP for this hull at 1.10m (1/72nd scale)

The good thing here is all you'd then do is take the hull out the box and start building, all the prep work is done upon delivery. The main reason I started this project is simply because I hate working with fibreglass, the mess drives the wife nuts and I hate the dust.

Guys I'd appreciate the feedback on this topic......

Martin

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:16 pm »

Here's as screenshot of the wheelhouse.....

Let me know what you think

Martin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:55 pm »

Martin....the 3D technology is great, but 30 something is a heck of a lot of windows for a one skipper of a trawler to look out of  :-X

Years ago...there were maybe just 4 or 6 windows on the bridge of a fishing boat  %) ......[2 fwd+2 aft + 1 each a beam?]..or any combination to equal 4  {-)]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »

Nothing wrong with the design Derek , all modern pelagic boats have wheelhouses like this now

Davie Tait,
Scotland

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:55:28 pm »

is that a renamed Altaire,  Davie Tait.

Jim.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:19 pm »

No she was built as the Christina S , she's bigger than the Altaire LK as well ( 74m x 14m x 7m max draft for Christina S , Altaire is around 70m x 14m x 6m max draft )

She's up for sale if you've the cash lol , Alans looking at a new boat if she sells but he's not in any rush just now
Davie Tait,
Scotland

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:13:12 pm »

She's up for sale if you've the cash lol , Alans looking at a new boat if she sells but he's not in any rush just now

I saw plans and photos of the Altaire that a friend has some time ago and the two look the same to the uninitiated. what sort of money do these vessels cost new, and do the owners ever pay the debt off.... they must catch an awful lot of fish to do so, as they look incredible vessels.

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:55 pm »

Yes I understand the design Davie. ......& wasn't having a shot at Martins design :-X.......

It's just like the designers chopped one deck level from the Island on a Nimitz Class Carrier & plonked it onto a Trawler  {-)

So I know we are a World away, but Jim......according to the script writers in the Trawlers of the Sea videos.......the Banks & Finance Companies  are the only ones making the final $$ at the end of the day

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 10:55:18 pm »

these boats are around £20-22million each at this size and usually paid off in full within 6 or 7 years which is around the time they order a new boat Jim

Derek its an IMO regulation for safe navigation that's got these boats with full 360 degree vision and all the windows , besides you need all of these windows to keep an eye on the deck for safe working in any weather and you need a few sets of eyes up there when moving in harbour especially Fraserburgh which is pretty tight for boats of this size

Jim the design of these tank trawlers has been fairly uniform over the last 15 years but big changes coming now

http://fiskerforum.dk/en/news/b/serene-hits-the-water-at-nauta-yard

Thats the brand new Serene just launched yesterday in Gdansk and she's 82m x 17m x 5.9m ( 7m full load ) and she'll carry 2000t of fish at 60% capacity ( its all quality over quantity now , if they went to fill this new boat with Blue Whiting for fishmeal she'd carry almost 3,200t with no water in the tanks )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 11:07:21 pm »

i'm amazed, Davie........absolutely flabbergasted....6-7 years.............and that new trawler is just incredible.

thanks for the info..............just staggering.

Jim.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:05 pm »

if they replace their ship with a new one every seven years say, is the quota kept with the old ship for the new owner, or is it taken over by the new ship, and presumably enlarged to the capacity of the new ship.

Jim.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 11:18:37 pm »

Boats are sold without the licence and quota Jim that's kept for the new boat , some companies replace their boats every 6 to 7 years some 10 years and remember the 2nd hand value of these boats is still considerable , a boat the size and age of the Christina S got to be £8 million plus I'd think
Davie Tait,
Scotland

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:24 pm »

thanks Davie................it's just staggering.

I really am amazed :-))

RST

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 11:52:16 pm »

Martin....the 3D technology is great, but 30 something is a heck of a lot of windows for a one skipper of a trawler to look out of  :-X

Years ago...there were maybe just 4 or 6 windows on the bridge of a fishing boat  %) ......[2 fwd+2 aft + 1 each a beam?]..or any combination to equal 4  {-) ]

Derek

...somebody's a bit behind the times (majorly LoL)!  Not read all the posts since but just look at a modern Pelagic boat.  And as someone who had our DSV home port in Pterhead -WAY betide anyone who got in the way of a fishing boat.  Some of the Pelagic boats there are probably more advanced in terms of tech than most commercial vessels afloat for their size (bit like looking at a 0.5M GBP combine harvester these days compared to a model from 1990).

Anyhow I admire your efforts, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to convert from 2 to 3D CAD, despite learning Autoship etc back in the day at Uni but never used it since!

I think 3D printing will take over everything, but it's still niche for anything much other than the single user.  I do wonder though, for anything big if the pre-design and post printing effort and prep is worth it.  There's just so much post printing surface prep work in everything I've seen.  Not sure on the longevity either though as far as I remember I would hope we avoid PLA in our environment?

Cheers,

Rich

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »

when you see the likes of the new Pathway ( 3000grt 7,000hp 78mx16mx7m ) coming into Fraserburgh with over 1500t of Mackerel on board and get all the way into the inner harbour to pump their fish into the factory without touching the piers you know the skill needed to operate one of these massive fishing boats ( these boats have a 750hp bow thruster and a 750hp stern thruster and as far as I know none of them use dynamic positioning gear its all done by eye/hand control and experience )

1.5m to spare either side of the entrance

^^ new Pathway PD165
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Marty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 04:38:57 am »

Guys!!

Thanks for pitching in and, Davie there nice pictures of the Christina S. I've got GA plans for the Altaire built in 1994, She's now called the Jupiter

FD42, and she's for sale £7m....lol even after all these years, she's still going strong!!

I'm planning on printing this model from PETG which is far stronger than ABS and PLA, also temperature and UV Resistant!! I've also two more pelagic boats that will come after this one is printed. Right now I'm just cutting the scuppers, freeing ports and the stern hatches on the transom. i've also cut in tunnels for the thrusters too, my plan is when i get someone to evaluate the hull i'll slice it into sections and print them individually and bond them together.

I've lost count of the number of pathways and Lunar bows there is now. I'm originally from Mallaig on the west coast and I remember well as a boy in the 90's the peterhead and Fraserburgh pelagic teams coming over for the summer herring and mackerel, discharging to the Russian Klondykers anchored in Loch Nevis.

Davie I'm right in saying that it was you family that had the Philorth? she was a fine looking boat, i never actually saw her myself other than in photographs and on youtube.

Thanks for the reply guys, any comments on my design please feel free to share, I'm new to the 3D printing and I want to get it as close as possible.

Cheers

Martin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »

Different family of Taits unless you go back to 1854 Marty lol

^^original Philorth FR721 , Zulu sailing drifter , photo taken in  Gorleston near Great Yarmouth

^^Last Philorth FR211 we had , this was 1908 in the photo , she was called up for WW1 service serving in the Med , sank NW of Malta in 1919 on her way home from the war all hands saved

1st photo the skipper was Waldie Die ( slang for Wild Day meaning he was what fishermen call a fire eater sailed in any weather lol ) think his real first name was James , 2nd photo was his son as skipper , the Taits that have the modern boats are related to a brother of Waldie Die born in 1854 lol

As for the amount of Pathway/Lunar Bow/Vigilant pelagic boats over the years well I've lost count as they change boats every 7 years and also now own the Kings Cross PD380
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.