Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 2997 times)

wesley

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Where to start
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:49:56 am »

Hi to you all, l am new to the forum and indeed new to the world of model boat building, apart from making a few bits for a friend on the lathe, now sadly passed away.
I will tell you what i would like to do then you experts can put me right please. hmm where to start.  The boat build has to be around the ic engine l am making. The engine size will be 8.25 long hight 4.500 an width 5in so will need a big hull.
I would like to keep it around the 3ft mark, as for boat type. To be honest l do not know yet. l did have a look at glass fibre battle ship hulls but would like to build one from sheet steel,plus l have it in stock, or do l go for a tug type of hull?. Is there any one offering paper temp  plates l could buy  to get the hull shape. Boat building is a whole new world to me,  but am happy to learn.
Hope this is not boring you builders.
       regards wes

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:48:02 am »

HI Wes, first of all welcome to Mayhem and the world of model boats. Depending on where you live an I/C engine could be a no/no, a lot of waters ban engines because of pollution,  noise etc, but good luck with the build.
As to a first model, what about an ex Keilcraft ez build model, plans are free on the internet, small and quick to make, great start for you.  Paper templates. scale up the free plans to a better size????  sheet steel/ that would need a large size of hull, probably a tug with plenty of displacement, but, it would weigh a great deal, handling and launching become a major problem.
Have you a local club? they would help in your decision, also you could see what facilities they have, for launching etc.
Like your ideas but i fear they may be to ambitious as a first model.
Mark
Tugs are for pulling

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »

As jarvo says it is important to check that local lakes accept i.c. power and a local club would be a good idea. To be building your own i.c. power plant you are obviously a very skilled engineer.

As for a first model to handle a large i.c. power plant with an option of metal construction and approx. 3ft long, my thoughts would go towards Vic Smeed's 'Moonglow' (MM800) design, available from Sarik Hobbies. I have the original magazine build item from July 1964 which could be scanned and emailed.

If you do build a model in wood, with an i.c. motor, it is critical to protect the inside of the hull with fuel proofer or better still, use glass fibre.

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/moonglow-mm800/

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:18:05 pm »

As Jarvo has said, unless you have a mate with a lake, then finding somewhere to use the boat could be a big problem.

Instead of an IC engine have you considered steam? That will test your engineering skills and there are some lovely boats to build to put the steam engine in.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

Many thanks for the posts, now the water situation is no problem as l have use of a 2 acre lake next to me in fact it was my farmer friend who has got this whole thing going,on a sunday morning this time of year he pops in the workshop for a mug of tea,with the saying what you building now,when told a ic engine it was then put to me give l could put that in a boat and send over a mug of tea ,then my fire wood would be free for a couple of years.In the mean time the grandson who is mad about boats has got on my case,so now its time to do it.

The engine side is no worry,am looking forward to that and in my mind have worked out about driving to prop,will make a small bevel geared gear box then take the prop from that.

Its the hull l have more worry with,but l am  sticking to making it out of steel,the rest then in wood etc,was even looking sternwheeled boats today they seem wide in the beam.
            wes

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 04:29:32 pm »

an engine like that is just what a SEA QUEEN  was designed for............beautiful big classic cabin cruiser with acres of choice for detailing as well. O0 O0 :-)) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »

Neil is right about the Sea Queen, it is ideal for a big IC engine.

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Aerokit_Front.htm

Of course the Sea Queen is traditional wooden construction and all the better for it.

Why do you feel you need to work in steel, it is practically unknown in model boating? The nearest constructional equivalent would be using tinplate which was sometimes used in the past (50s & 60s) as tin cans could be used as a source of material and it could be soldered. It was still considered to be something that only experts would tackle even then.

The Sea Queen was designed to take traditional large IC engines. It is easy to construct, robust and engine mounting will be far simpler than in a metal hull.

Plus, I imagine that an IC engine in a metal hull would make a heck of a row!

Colin

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »

Thanks colin yes the sea queen is indeed a great looking boat,but its not for me l would like a boat with a funnel ,so l can run the exhaust out.
As for why l want to work in steel,well am happy to do some things in wood ,my workshop is geared up for metal,l think in another post ,i was asked why not a steam engine,well have been down that path before and to be honest with the new regs now on making your own boilers its a no go.
 So i do think a tug model will be the way forward for me,was looking at the plans to make the cullamix mm256,but am open to advice etc,asnd thanks for the posts.
         wes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »

Yes., a tug could be a compromise but I guess you would need to really gear down the engine as IC is not usually considered to be a good option for a scale boat that needs to swing a large prop.

Plus of course, no reverse option I would think which is quite a drawback. IC engines have traditionally only been considered as appropriate for high speed power boats and tugs don't fall into that category.

You do rather seem to be swimming against the tide here!

Colin

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 07:33:11 pm »

Colin that last bit in your post ,made me smile, the engine l make wont be a high rev type ,but just a low rev plodder,and yes it will have a gear box,made one when l built a tiger tank ages ago ,so will make a smaller unit for the boat,do you think that type of tug would look ok?
             wes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »

Cullamix is a classic tug design so yes, it would look great and I think it was a diesel tug so appropriate.

As a scale modeller I do like to have a reverse option on my models though!

We have a Cullamix build on the Model Boats website:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=122845

Colin

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:02 pm »

Thanks for that link colin,seing the hull shape there in the pictures,l do not se a problem with the hull,very simple curves,will get a couple of projects out the way and will send for a set of plans,and keep you all posted.
             wes

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »

Or a tid tug. Plenty of plans out there thst could be scaled
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:30:12 pm »

Yes, a Tid tug would work well in metal. A Kitchen rudder will give you reverse, speed control and help manouverability. If the engine is 2 stroke then an oil trap will save a lot of mess on the topsides.  I remember a couple of chaps running big scale models with ic engines in the 1960s, both had petrol engines probably Gannets just ticking over. If the noise is horrible in a metal hull, expanding foam will probably help.
Chas

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:08:18 am »

Thanks will have a look at the tid tug later and see where to get a set of plans from.
         wes

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 03:17:38 pm »

Not feeling that great today,so spent some time looking at boats an plans,the tid tug looks very nice ,but think l will go for the cullamix tug its a little bigger in beam as well so would suit my needs.

So with that in mind l will get a set of plans a couple of firms offer the plans ie 3 sheets for £20 with post or its cheaper on ebay ,but you only get one sheet ?,but l expect you builders will tell me the best to buy,am looking forward to this,just hope l do not get the boat build bug.
          wes

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:49 pm »

Wes, you already have the build bug!!!!!  you just can't decide which one to start with  LOL

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

wesley

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 07:39:07 pm »

Ok update, the build is going to be a W11 landing craft,with steel hull,nice lines to work in steel,will get hull built and post some pictures,dam this has been a hard think,but no going back now,you all have a great xmas.
         wes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.