Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale problem  (Read 2193 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scale problem
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:22:05 pm »

small issue with enlarging drawings today seems my percentage figure was out
Recalculated and one of figures come out as 1.5  do I move decimal point to make it 150%?

I have 1/200 drawing and working to shop limits of 150% in one scan I have gone 1/200 to 1/144 to 1/96 and finally 1/72. Full-size is 781 feet

Cheers

Rob
I will finish this model

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scale problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:14:55 pm »

Are they going to be able to print a plan 10.85 feet long ?

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:20:54 pm »

Length is only dictated by amount on the role 😄
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:53:14 pm »

All sorted now, found the error. :embarrassed:

Bob
I will finish this model

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:37:19 am »

Never seen a copier on a roll  ok2

A suggestion, you may well have thought of it but ...

You are going for some big changes which you have calculated. There are sure to be some slight errors creeping in from the machine. Before you do the last resize, check the percentage again

HTH

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »

some of the big xerox plan printers and HP plan printers have a scanner built in, this gives a copier function, the other method is to scan into CAD and then enlarge in CAD and print. generally to get a paper size larger than the normal length you just have to set up a new custom paper size bigger than you need.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:43 pm »

And that assumes the plan was correct in the first place. Time and time again I have found discrepencies between different views on the same drawing which then requires each view getting it's own formula to work from. Its a bind I tell you  >:-o
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:54:10 am »

So if the model length @ 1:72 scale is some 10' & 7/8' of a [foot] long, are the sub or minor dimensions listed in feet' & inches" ?

Lovely isn't it %) ........the symbol for an inch " is the same as the symbol for an quotation mark "  {-)

The initial time required to metricate all dimensions to millimetres [mm] may well pay off in accuracy of the build as your 1:72 model now 2755.19mm long....and every reference point on the plan is in units of mm ......"so an original 1 3/4" [1.75"] dimension is now a simple 44.45 mm long" ...

It would be a 'nice to have'...or a full length plan & elevation view mounted to a fixed board......on a wall above the work bench ...it could also be considered to section the 1:72 scale plans into four sheet pages with overlapping axis.......these could be length limited to 750 mm which are a handy sized paper size and also handy to use as the detail reference sheets during the build

I would strongly recommend you consider scanning the master to CAD, and metricate the output.....then get someone else  :-X to back check every metricated dimension...then use the printout as four [4] handy sheets to use as the actual reference media.....

If you needed to take a drawing section & a few photographs to a colleague for discussion.....you open out a 3' sheet for ease of viewing instead of the need of moving his home furniture to open the scroll of a 12' sheet >:-o

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.