Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with styrene?!  (Read 3539 times)

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Working with styrene?!
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:18 am »

if i have put this in wrong topic please move it for me and i am sorry.I was searching the web and came across this site tamiyabase.com go to articles WoW the information if your going to use styrene is brillant

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
Re: read if your working with styrene
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:10:04 am »

https://tamiyabase.com        this is the link then click on articles

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: read if your working with styrene
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:43:24 am »

There's not much info on GLUEs unfortunately, I've been using preformed ABS a lot recently girder's, angles and tubes . . .
 There doesn't seem to be a glue that's satisfactory , EMA's plastic weld seems to do it but wont take any force it just snaps off , revel CONTACTA less grip than EMA , UHU Plastic weld gets a good grip but its messy also shrinks quite a bit distorting the parts . . . I think we just have to live with it . {:-{
Bill

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Working with styrene?!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:12:04 pm »

For ABS and PS I have found the Bostik 'Hard Plastic' glue works well.  Apply like a contact adhesive and it sets quite quickly and, in my experience, is quite strong.  They say it is partially waterproof, but I have not had any failure to date.
If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:16 pm »

use liquid plastic weld from flea bay £10 for 250 ml bottle and it will glue them together strong welds the to parts by capillary action pulling them together findf it on ebay and read what it does  :-))

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 02:58:31 pm »

item number 161991674479 it works

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:08:19 pm »

What i use i get from my local builders merchant....i simply get some water pipe adhesive a kit.

I don't bother with the actual glue bit of the kit i simply use the Cleaner......this i must admit smells exactly the same as the stuff you buy in the model shop....we all know how easy they fall over !....at least this is a metal tin....i have personally found this far superior to anything on the market and works by capillary action.

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:30 pm »

Dichloromethane. It can be found in paint stripper mixed with cellulose thinners. Yes ABS needs pipe weld or as Man o' Kent says a Hard plastic glue to get a proper bond. Alternatively, physical bonds such as drilling and pinning can help and reinforce joints using brass rod and cyano.

Pond weed is your enemy

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:40:16 pm »

I have used EMA solvent  for ABS  with there applicator the joint as good as the parent material , I use old computer cases a good source of ABS . I know its not styrene , I have had joints fail on pipe work , that was over use of solvent and it undercutting the weld thinning the material and making it weak .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:05:07 am »

The problem appears to be the American preformed ABS, just wont stick with our normal glues . . .
It was that bad I ended up making my own 'girders' from sheet ABS , tricky with the thin one's too much EMA & it just folded into a heap , ended up using a paint brush cut down to a few hairs . . . .  %%   >>:-(
Bill

RST

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 01:22:56 am »

What i use i get from my local builders merchant....i simply get some water pipe adhesive a kit.

I don't bother with the actual glue bit of the kit i simply use the Cleaner......this i must admit smells exactly the same as the stuff you buy in the model shop....we all know how easy they fall over !....at least this is a metal tin....i have personally found this far superior to anything on the market and works by capillary action.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I make industial uPVC pipework at work and I demonstrated to a client the other month who was bonding their ABS that if they used the neat MEK cleaner tin they had on their shelf, it would actually permanently WELD ABS properly rather than their somewhat hit-or miss cement (our own different brand MEK cleaner wouldn't do-it).  That's providing you have MEK (not all cleaners are proper MEK).  NB proper MEK is horrible stuff to come in contact with -it's not the same as any hobby stuff I've ever used.

I'm not so sure about EMA at the moment.  Having used it for 20 years I was advised at the the model shop erlier this year something changed HSE-wise.  2 bottles of it later and they are not working the same as it used to.  I think they might have changed something in the formula somewhere, either that or there might have been some bad batches.  In any case, I have some ABS to polystyrene joints to make and I think I'll pinch some Griffon uPVC pipe cleaner from work.  It's just a bit too much smell to use at home though so I dunno.

Rich

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:21 am »

Oh for some old fashion Hammerite.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:31 am »

This guy praises Plastic Fusion its about 9 mins into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3gabIJ3Ono
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.