Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet problems and speeds  (Read 2664 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Internet problems and speeds
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:51 am »

I have just been through an experience that I'd like to share.

The other day my router stopped receiving the internet via the Virgin cable that runs our TV.  I telephoned them and after a lot of button pushing was informed the line was down and it would take 7 hours to repair.

By the evening I had a sort of stuttering reception on the net but the TV was fine.  The next day I lost the internet so contacted them again and was put through to gentleman in Japan who was a great help.  He could  'see'  my router trying to get through but not succeeding so organised an engineer to look into it.

That evening I was back on the net but laboriously slow.

This morning a man turned at the door with a new router.  After setting it up and taking the old one he informed me that my old one was two models back in the line !!    ....      and would I mind leaving it running for ever.  I had previously always switched it of after every session because my Wife didn't like the radiation going through her head  ??

Well I now have a speed of 50megs a sec, which is extremely fast. To say I'm impressed is an understatement.   YeeeeHaa

He also said my hard drive and system was filling up  (I knew that)  so I'm getting a new hard drive and starting again.  What could possibly go wrong.

I still can't get over the speed of these things and now I'm off to the computer shop for a new hard drive. A re-load of windows seven is on the cards.  I'll keep you posted on what happens next  (what could possibly go wrong !)

I'm going into the model room now as my head hurts.   {-)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: Internet problems and speeds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:07:57 am »

Nice to hear all sorted out Ken.......50meg is nice...... :-))

Had similar with sky, for months and months with a tail wind and going down hill I could get 7meg max.........after numerous calls to them and several quite infuriating sessions with there so called techniciansI eventually persuaded them to get a BT engineer out to check the incoming line. BT engineer informed me all but BT customers are given the lowest possible line, the oldest equipment and the poorest service......checked my line and several thousand faults on it. Claimed I could get 50meg if switched over to them and if fibre came could be close to 100meg. So told sky to go forth and signed up with BT.......45meg and rock solid, can't wait for fibre!
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:40:00 am »

Ken,

Routers should always be left on continuously. Otherwise they have to re learn the connection each time you switch them on and this can cause problems. However, there is usually a facility to turn off the wifi, for example overnight. You probably have to log into the router as administrator to set the hours that you want the wifi to be on and broadcasting within the house. It should be explained in the router instructions, or if you don't have any then look up the router model online and you should be able to locate the operating instructions there.

Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:06 am »

Spare a thought for us poor sods

Checked my download speed yesterday 0.75Mbs - Yeah!

Max we ever get is 1.2Mbs

BUT

within the next weeks we will go SuperFast as our village has self funded a shiny green OpenReach Box - Cost somewhere £75-85K - loan from government payable over 20 years - £15 per household annually on the village precept pays back the loan

Great that we are part of the 5% that our county hasn't funded as they are now 95% superfast countywide

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:43:08 am »

Hi Tug...  I had the same thing happen last week, I am with Virgin, you just dial 150 and it all springs into life.  I too had a 2 generations old router, I did go halfway around the world with phone calls but everyone was very nice.  The Technician came the following morning with the new router, he said give it 2 hours but it was still not far end connected and I ended up talking to an engineer in the UK who worked out what was wrong while I was on the phone and I was up running about 90 minutes later.
I give the service 9 / 10 my only gripe is the number of times I had to go through security checks each time I was transferred, but maybe that is a good thing.
But the best part was that when I rang the second time they knew what was going on and simply put me through to the engineer.

Some years (4) ago I was on the phone for a friend to Talk Talk it took hours that went into days and then a week.  Every phone call they wanted to go through the basic test procedure, I do not know how many times in the end.  There was no attempt to record what had been done already, each call was a new call!
The fault was with the BT line to the house but they did not want to spend money getting BT out to fix it.  I did speak to a supervisor and I offered to come in as a consultant to show them how to run a Service Desk.
While at work I did just that for Automobile Association, Southern Electricity Board and a few others, it was an expertise I picked up while managing an internal Customer service desk.
He declined!  So if you get involved with Talktalk and get no where tell them they did have an offer to sort themselves out but they refused!
I may pay more for my Virgin service but it is worth it just to pick up the phone and get it fixed.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:41 am »

My line is now fibre to the new box a few hundred yards away and copper to the house.  Before they put the new box in the connection was very slow but now it is around 32mbs which is enough for most things.

I am with BT Broadband and if there is an intermittent fault with the internet or landline you can go to the BT website and have them run an automatic check which will usually show up where the problem lies and they will register and act upon the fault. On one occasion the line went dead completely but I was able to use my phone to reach the BT website and initiate the fault detection and resolution process. Very little need for phone conversations.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:10 pm »

Hi all, I checked my download speeds yesterday and I have the cheapest Virgin line and I get 80Mb per sec.  Most things happen instantly!  Upload is 5 Mb.  I have a glass door between me and the router it is 80 with it open and 55 with it closed.
When in Oz and with my son I was getting just 300Kb but I think he has since upgraded, I shall see for my self in a couple of months time.
regards Roy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »

I just ran an internet speed test and am getting about 12 Mbps down and 2.2 Mbps up. This is typical apparently, so the info with the test informs me. I find it adequate for our purposes, we watch Netflix quite a lot and have no trouble with buffering. Speeds in major cities are better as they are mostly fibre, whereas we have fixed wireless because we live in a rural area. We have not connected to the new NBN (National Broadband Network), nor are we likely to, as it has been plagued with problems from the outset. The original plan was to be fibre to most properties, now it's fibre to nodes and copper from there, and the copper lines are old. It has been a very expensive disaster, and NBN have finally admitted that they can't deliver promised speeds for at least another year, possibly longer. Our fixed wireless is independent of the NBN, a system run by a private company with all their own infrastructure, and it's excellent.

Peter.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:42:12 am »

I think I have fought off all the competition and can claim first prize!!

Not bad when today my task was to move large amounts of data from Germany to my desktop to earn an honest crust

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

T33cno

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 12:02:34 pm »

Not bad for mid day

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 12:13:29 pm »

Pretty much the same for me, T33cno.  :-))

I was trying to explain to my eldest son how it was back in the days of dial-up and maybe 30k (with the wind behind it). He couldn't get his head round that, so I then bored him with what the world was like before that. Going on holiday? Get a glossy brochure from the travel agent. Phone up to make a booking. Post off a cheque. Use a roadmap to get there ...  :o

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »

I'm with Plusnet, fibre-to-cabinet in my village - I think somebody binges on
some sort of streaming service sometimes...

I got these two results a few seconds apart - slow one first -
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:03 pm »

When I lived in Hull the local provider gave us a product they called Lightspeed, a fibre cable system, speeds of up to 150gb/s. In reality it was more like 100gb/s but damn fast.

However the drawback is at the end of the day you are still reliant on the speed of the links in the chain you are downloading from. Its no good having super quick download at your end if you are waiting for the link at the other end.

Here in Spain we get a modest 12gb/s and for most things it keeps us connected, even for watching streaming movies etc on the android box.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »

However the drawback is at the end of the day you are still reliant on the speed of the links in the chain you are downloading from. Its no good having super quick download at your end if you are waiting for the link at the other end.

Since getting BT Fibre the biggest benefit i have found is in upload times. Photos and web updates now upload almost instantly. Download performance doesn't appear vastly different when browsing and I don't download large files.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.