Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resin moulding kits  (Read 3638 times)

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
Resin moulding kits
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:31:11 pm »

Hi All .
Has anyone used resin moulding to duplicate fittings they have made ?
Just toying with doing it and wondering where and what type of kit to buy ?
Think it might be a bit of fun too .

John

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Resin moulding kits
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »

Hello John,

I was in a similar position - have a look at this thread www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55091.msg571238.html#msg571238

Also, if you type casting resin in the search box, there's loads of threads you can read through - have fun, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Regards,

Ray.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:34 pm »

Thanks Cp been thinking about it for a while and went to Buy a couple of fittings this week and they were a shocking price so I took a bit of time and made them . Now I would like to duplicate them for future projects.

Thanks again

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:26:15 pm »

it's easy, and decent results can be gained if your master is good.

go to this company for your resin..........use polyeurethane resin for best results, but working time is very short, nd shelf life of the 2 part resin once opened is about 3 - 4 months only........so make sure you build up your stock of masters and rubber moulds in quantity first before buying the resin.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Fastcast-Polyurethane-Resin-2kg-pack-RFC364_002.html

second link is to rubber I use. the higher the RTV [Room temperature vulcanising] number, the harder the rubber is............and the harder ones are usually used for home casting of molten white metal.

if you only want to do a small amount of moulding you can buy a small kit as shown on ebay on this link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=silicon+moulding+rubber&_sacat=0

but it is dear buying in small quantities....I tend to buy a larger canister, and have had a canister for over a year now and is still very good condition.

http://www.ea-silicones.co.uk/rtv_silicone.html

These are the ones I use, but seem to be out of stock at the moment,...........but there are other suppliers on ebay for large and small quantities........but you must remember that a larger mould can take anything up to 1/2 a kilo of rubber.
you can also use surface or split moulds for different items.

if you want to look at mould preparation look up any of my lifeboat builds  as I'm always moulding my own [ not plagiarised.........as that is a big no no with me] fittings......look at my lifeboat builds and read about it.......the process is fun.

oh yes, and if you go for split moulds, don't spend inordinate amounts of money on expensive spray on release agents between the two halves of rubber whilst one cures against the other already cured half.........common Vaseline petroleum jelly is the best release agent for splitting two mould halves I know. also, you'll need a good supply of lego bricks and mulding plastecine from cfs to make moulding boxes out of.

and finally these rubbers need a percentage of moisture in the air to cure..........was given a tip by the engineers at Titani's of reading.....just add a few drops of warm water to your rubber/catylist mix at the same time........moisture already added. you will need some electronic scales alsi to get the mix of resin spot on 1 - 1 mix..........or it will bubble and froth, and not set at all........your fitting will look like the inside of a Crunchie bar.........

any more questions, just ask.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:14:15 pm »

Thanks a Million Neil, really appreciate the in-depth reply .
I was looking at different places to buy the items so I’ll have a look at your links .
My latest build I have made lots of fittings in brass and also bought a few , just think it makes sense if I spend time on a lathe and soldering I should really make a mould of the fitting for the future.
Something I’m definitely going to try .

Thanks again

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »

You are most welcome John.........

it's enjoyable fun producing your own, and what's more, you can sell the surplus, because as I say, the polyurethane resin does go off so once you have cast enough for your model, you cast those fittings that you feel are most commonly wanted until the resin runs out, and sell the unwanted ones on ebay to make some dosh back....no wasting of unused resin. why I also recommend polyurethane resin instead of polyester resin is that it doesn't chip break or crack when cleaning up or if you drop it.............and you can carve it with a craft knife to a certain degree when fresh out of the mould.............very versatile.

and if it's still a minefield once you have read through it and looked at the threads I have put on about the casting then pm me with your telephone number and i'll give you a call............don't put your number on here though.......

neil.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »

Thanks Neil , I have been watching a few things on YouTube too so I have an idea but there's nothing like just doing it .
I'm making a trawler at the moment and most of the fittings are brass and not painted but I really should have cast all those so they can be used again on a painted model .

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 12:24:51 am »

what trawler would that be, john...............being born and brought up in Fleetwood during the latter days of steam goliaths sailing in and out of the port............I love them, and all fishing vessels.............you should post some photos of them on a post.............I would love to see them.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 12:31:53 am »

Hi Neil, It’s a model of the Trawler Launch Out , I have posted quite a few build picks of it on the Mayhem Facebook page as I just use an iPad rather than PC and couldn’t seem to upload pictures from it the last time I tried . Must have a go from my good ladies laptop sometime.
If you have Facebook you can see it posted an update last weekend.

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:52:33 am »

cheers john.............will have a look.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:31:18 am »

Morning,

I'm having a bit of a tinker with a large molding set i given last Christmas, but would like a smaller starter set any ideas?

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 10:51:20 am »

Rich have a look at the links that Neil posted above. Also I found another place called mouldcraft from Sheffield , they have kits and the postage seems reasonable.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.