Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction with new build-Aquacraft Atlantic II tug  (Read 9258 times)

jeff351

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Introduction with new build-Aquacraft Atlantic II tug
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 04:07:38 am »

update long time coming...I am still working on the superstructure but today I finally put in the water. Still needs a little ballast but it runs great. And I got to use it as a tug also. My Aquacraft Lucas Oil catamaran flipped over, so a family friend tried pushing it, and he somehow dry-docked his boat on top of mine.

sending my tug out to the rescue. Towing a string with some wire hooks I made glued to some ping-pong balls. Plan is to loop around the stranded vessel to hook it, and tow it home.

and it worked! No problem towing it in, the new motor and prop combo is more than enough power for this load.

Having a retrieval vessel makes a huge difference when going to the lake. Now I dont have to worry about getting a boat stranded away from shore, in fact now I look forward to it  :-))

jeff351

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 04:19:12 am »

-

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 07:00:55 pm »

Been watching the build with interest , as we seem to be from the same mind set as I buy a hull convert it and then the rest is scratch built , very satisfying if a tad long to build , but thats not a bad thing eh .....good luck and keep us posted over here please .

Regards Ivor .

jeff351

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 05:00:22 am »

so another lapse in time before the next update. So many projects, its easy to forget what else is in the shop.

Basic structure is complete. Painted up with some weathering effects, not sure when to call this complete, I've discovered its real easy to get deep in the weeds with details like radar, hand rails, lights, etc.  Its ONLY a retrieval boat anyways  %)  It does need some more 'stuff' added but im not sure what...

jeff351

• Shipmate
rebuild of an Aquacraft Atlantic II tug into an effective retrieval vessel
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 11:53:36 pm »

Since this boat is built solely for fun and to retrieve our fast boats when they flip, I went through a couple of trials before I made a system that works very well. The string and ping-pong ball took a little longer to capture the stranded vessel, and was trickey when the boat was more than 100meters from shore.
Came up with a drag-net type of system which mounts to the boat with a swivel to allow for variations of roll, pitch, and yaw. Bent up and TIG welded some 3/16" (4.7mm) steel rod for the frame. Floats are plastic soda  bottles. Heavy duty nylon line acts as the catch system, I ran several lengths of it to improve the entanglement. The whole thing folds flat for storage and takes about 2 minutes to install. All I do is pass alongside the capsized craft, and this snags it and makes for a simple retrieval.
At this point there isnt much left to do. It works perfectly. All I need is to make it move faster to the rescue...might need to build a bigger tug next!

My Aquacraft Lucas Oil cat served as the test subject

[size=78%]

[/size]

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2021, 12:31:26 pm »

Some fine! Quite an ingenious rescue system.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.