Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Receiver and receiver battery help needed please  (Read 3178 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Receiver and receiver battery help needed please
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:46:10 pm »

Hi All

Can you help?  I have a Spektrum DX10 transmitter and I now need a suitable and reliable receiver and receiver battery for my build.  I really don't know which ones to get as the selection is huge and confusing.

I need a minimum of 7 channels on the receiver and a nice small battery to power it.  I want the battery to be rechargeable so I'll need a recharger too.  The battery will only be for the receiver and servos and will not be powering anything else.  I have limited space to fit both of these items so they need to be of a standard size and not oversized if that makes sense.

Any help would be very welcome and thanks in advance - Mark

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Receiver and receiver battery help needed please
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »

Hi Mark, A lot use Orange receivers from HobbyKing, are you going to be using an ESC? if so many have a BEC function which would do away with the need of a receiver battery. This would cut some of your size needs, also weight.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 06:34:21 pm »

Hi Mark, A lot use Orange receivers from HobbyKing, are you going to be using an ESC? if so many have a BEC function which would do away with the need of a receiver battery. This would cut some of your size needs, also weight.

Mark

Hi Mark - I have heard of Orange on this forum but have no experience of them.  I think that I should have said that this is a steam build so there are no other electrics at all.  I used a BEC last time around but I don't have this facility this time which is why I need a dedicated battery.  I have had a look at hobby king but there are so many to choose from and the prices vary massively.  I guess I don't want to buy something that is too advanced but I also don't want something that is old technology either - hence my confusion.  I'm looking for an appropriate set up for my needs but I also want reliability.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 06:58:01 pm »

Hi All

I need a a nice small battery to power it.  I want the battery to be rechargeable so I'll need a recharger too.  The battery will only be for the receiver and servos and will not be powering anything else.  I have limited space to fit both of these items so they need to be of a standard size and not oversized if that makes sense.

Any help would be very welcome and thanks in advance - Mark
A standard 4.8V NiMh pack will do, 5cm long by 3cm square. If this is too big then a smaller capacity pack can be used with a shorter run time for the receiver and servos.
https://www.overlander.co.uk/batteries/receiver-packs.html
Did the Transmitter come with a charger?, if so check if it also has a wire for charging the receiver pack. If not then most LiPo chargers tend to have a NiMh setting.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:45:05 pm »

Hi Jim thats a very useful website thanks for that.  Those batteries are exactly what I was looking for and I've checked my transmitter charger but it does not have a receiver lead.  I think I may try and find a charger that does everything to do away with the many little chargers that I have.  If anyone has any suggestions for a decent all round charger that would help me a lot too.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:39:01 pm »

Go to the Component shop website they are spot on with the service nad can do you a reciver pack to your dimentions if so required   look at reciever packs on their website...thy also do a few chargers that will do for your needs....give them a call for advise phone no on website...

WWW.componentshop.co.uk

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:38 pm »

Have Component shop produced their Action catalogue yet, am still waiting for my copy????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:09 pm »

4x AAA is prob the smallest you want to go due to the capacity, any smaller then your run times will be hit hard!
https://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/radio-control/4-8v-7-2v/4-8v-battery-pack-48v-950mah-nimh-instance-sq-vapextech-rx/

Charger, you can use pretty much any wall charger but i use the one below for my eneloop nicads as it charges each cell independently & when the cell is fully charged it auto cuts off to avoid damage, will fully charge AAA cells in less than a couple of hours, best charger i've owned for nicads, also can do 8 cells at a time so for you it would be ideal so you can have 2 sets of TX batterys charged at same time :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Smart-Charger-for-1-8-AA-or-AAA-NiMH-batteries-LCD-display-Vapextech-/331439919320?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

as for dx10 reciever this one is a micro 8channel compatible with DX10 at a decent price:
https://www.banggood.com/Mkron-2_4G-8CH-MK810-DSM2-DSMX-Compatible-Receiver-Support-PPM-Output-p-1085517.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=heath&utm_campaign=pla-rc-gb-pc&gclid=CjwKCAiA07PRBRBJEiwAS20SILjjPMsVPQd7v6OgS4vPb-OxZcaqpYN51NgQyniMXU8BIFEzjxHmZxoCZqgQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

:)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 03:58:57 pm »

Hi lads thanks very much for all of the replies it has made things much clearer for me  :-))   Its time to stop dithering now and get my wallet out  {-)

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:02:22 pm »

Mark,
Unless you are on a really tight budget I would use a Spektrum RX. If you go on eBay you will regularly find them in 4, 6, 8 and 10 channel variants at reasonable prices. People like Slough Radio Control and Als Hobbies (both have web sites and do rapid mail order). Als Hobbies often have very keen prices so it's worth checking.
I use Spektrum DX6, DX8 and DX10 radios, all with Spektrum RX's and I never get a glitch.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »

Hi Steve thanks for the advice.  Can I ask have you tried alternatives as I have not so have no experience outside of Spektrum.  My other build does work faultlessly with a Spektrum receiver but the price difference is vast.  If I could get the same outcome using an Orange receiver this would seem to be the way to go for me.  I've never heard anything bad about this brand and it seems like a very similar product.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »

Mark,
No, I've never used the Orange RX's. To be fair I don't personally know anyone who's had problems with them. I guess you pay your money and make your choice. To be frank I have a little difficulty understanding why people spend hundreds (or more) of pounds building a model or kit and then seek to spend peanuts on the radio gear.
Keep in mind that ideally you want an RX that's DSMX compatible. Whilst some will operate in backwards compatible DSM2 mode ...... but that really defeats the point of using it with a DX10 transmitter.
Good luck with which ever route you choose to go.

inertia

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »

To be frank I have a little difficulty understanding why people spend hundreds (or more) of pounds building a model or kit and then seek to spend peanuts on the radio gear.

I couldn't agree more, Steve, especially when the difference between a cheap Rx and the real thing is often less than the cost of a spray can of paint (or little more). It's rather pointless building a decent model if the radio only works when it feels like it. Much the same applies to "budget" motors and batteries.
Dave M

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »

Hi both I’ve made the decision to try out an Orange RX which is DSM2 and DSMX compatible. I thought that the only way to see if they are as good as the reviews is to get one and try it.

I’ve also sorted out the RX batteries with the help from the forum and also a charger that at face value will charge most type of batteries. Just goes to show what a great forum this is  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.