Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: internet problem  (Read 1062 times)

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
internet problem
« on: December 10, 2017, 01:22:04 pm »

Good day,

Having read the thread on internet problems and speed I wonder if maybe some of the members might be able to advise me on my latest problem. My wireless internet service has just been upgraded by my service provider. However, instead of presenting me with the newest and best wireless modem as has happened in the past, I was given a wi fi router and was told that modems are being phased out and will soon no longer be available. I took the device home (Huawei R216) checked with the instructions which stated that it would work with XP with service pack 3, which is what I'm running, albeit only through a USB cable connection, and duly plugged it in. No joy, so I searched the internet for any necessary drivers. The search was inconclusive - found many drivers but it remains unclear whether any relate to the R216 - I suspect probably not. I tried uninstalling the previous modem, tried turning off the firewall - still no good. Don't know what to do next. All and any suggestions as to where I should go now will be greatly appreciated.

cheers John Kearsley

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: internet problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:21:49 pm »

Is the router appearing in Device manager, or file explorer ?

If you connect the router via USB without first installing window's drivers then it should be visible as a folder.   That folder usually has the necessary drivers saved on it.

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
Re: internet problem
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:31:20 pm »

When I first switch on Windows says found new hardware, tries to install it as DVD player which mostly fails. However it has never appeared in "My Computer", or the device manager.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.