Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet browsers - an observation...  (Read 2242 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Internet browsers - an observation...
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:44:33 am »

I am an ardent Firefox fan or at least I was!

Firefox has been my browser of choice for years. I recently upgraded to their "fastest ever" - Firefox Quantum

This worked well and was faster for about 5 days

I then got another Windows 10 update (Windows 10, version 1709) and now haven Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 – Firefox is unusable - maybe Microsoft up to their old tricks!!!

My first thoughts were the broadband connection (max I get is 1.2 - 2.0 mbs) or perhaps this could be down to the configuration/ other software on my computer

Chances are if you have a fast internet connection you won't notice the difference - if you have a slow connection then this may be of interest

So I went back and tried Microsoft Edge - the latest version - it's very fast and quite mature - lots more functionality than day one - I had discounted this when I first loaded Windows 10 as a heap of junk.

Some nice features - like you can pin websites to your task bar or start menu - it's got my attention to explore further

C-3PO

Blue is reserved for the moderation team

ken

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Internet browsers - an observation...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:49 am »

I got the last W10 update and when the PC restarted Firefox updated itself. Both our laptops also seem happy with Firefox and W10 at the moment too.

Maybe it also depends on what kit you are using and perhaps your virus.

Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:29 am »

Hi Colin,

My gut feel is that it's the "overhead" that with a slow <2mbs connection is a killer.

I seem to think you reported a 30mbs connection so maybe you wouldn't notice each and every handshake transaction of a single web page loading over 5 minutes plus which is my current experience with FF

That aside if you have a spare 5 minutes give Edge a whirl and see what you think..

Quick update - with all Virus/Adware turned off  FF behaves the same SLOW!

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

inertia

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:49:03 am »

After reading this I checked and found that I'm now running Firefox Quantum on W7. I wondered why FF now seems to open two separate tabs at the same time. It's also a bit slower than it used to be. My conclusion is that these browsers are being "improved" more for 4G mobile devices than creaking old desktops, but I've no wish to update to W10 to keep up with them as my old machine would then need replacing and most of my programs wouldn't run.
Is there any way I could turn off the automatic update or at least be given the choice whether to update or not?
BTW I found the invoice for our first Intel P75 machine the other day. The box without mouse or keyboard was £1300. How things have changed.
DM

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »

I'm now running Firefox Quantum on W7. It's also a bit slower than it used to be.
DM

You have to smile - they claim -

"The new Firefox - Fast for good - 2x Faster - The best Firefox ever "

I appreciate each PC configuration different - but at least that's 2 of us that think it's slower - or in my case unuseable!

C-3PO

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:56:34 pm »

I think you are right, desktops are soooo yesterday now.

I do agree that programs or apps as they are now known, are optimised for handheld devices at the expense of older configurations.

Colin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »

I am an ardent Firefox fan or at least I was!

Firefox has been my browser of choice for years. I recently upgraded to their "fastest ever" - Firefox Quantum

This worked well and was faster for about 5 days

I then got another Windows 10 update (Windows 10, version 1709) and now haven Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 – Firefox is unusable - maybe Microsoft up to their old tricks!!!

My first thoughts were the broadband connection (max I get is 1.2 - 2.0 mbs) or perhaps this could be down to the configuration/ other software on my computer

Chances are if you have a fast internet connection you won't notice the difference - if you have a slow connection then this may be of interest

So I went back and tried Microsoft Edge - the latest version - it's very fast and quite mature - lots more functionality than day one - I had discounted this when I first loaded Windows 10 as a heap of junk.

Some nice features - like you can pin websites to your task bar or start menu - it's got my attention to explore further

C-3PO

At work, where they are always behind the times with Windows etc. (Windows 7 still) I'm using an earlier version of Internet Explorer and have web-sites pinned to the Start Menu and Taskbar so that's nothing new.

Yes, desktops, each new one over the years was cheaper and yet more powerful. It will be a pity when they do disappear as I prefer them for my main, static machines and you can upgrade them fairly easily yourself.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 07:03:27 pm »

Don’t worry guys
Where I work my system I have to scream and shout at is based upon Windows NT!
The admin computers only just got upgraded to Windows 7 this year, before that I was using a mix of Windows 97 and XP! The RAF getting the most from their computers!

Oh and our browser has just upgraded to Google Chrome!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 07:10:25 pm »

i used to use firefox, then i found google chrome and never looked back, its simple but does everything i need it to

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »

Don’t worry guys
Where I work my system I have to scream and shout at is based upon Windows NT!
The admin computers only just got upgraded to Windows 7 this year, before that I was using a mix of Windows 97 and XP! The RAF getting the most from their computers!

Oh and our browser has just upgraded to Google Chrome!

Makes you wonder what software our nuclear deterrent is running  ? probably Microsoft basic.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:02:07 pm »

XP actually!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:28:45 pm »

Got agree Firefox Quantum is the worstist version (I've used) for many years.  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 09:47:05 pm »

As Colin note....XP actually!....yes the industry standard...as robust & reliable as any software written

You may find that most US Military IT systems still use the same XP by Microsoft and rewritten collaboratively with the US Military 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 03:15:10 am »

I declined the FF quantum update because I didn't want what it offered but I use 2 laptops at home (win 8.1 and win 10) and a win 10 desktop at work and there was an annoying FF upgrade but not quanum anyway.  I will NOT use anyhing other than Firefox for internet browsing.  But Microsoft seems to be applying updates these past few weeks which is disasterous on all my computers, they're all running with problems and trying to override settings for any software back to Microsoft preferred and it's progressively more awful programs ("bing" for one for an internet search engine -good grief!!!!).  At the moment one laptop won't stay switched off-again which is a symptom of an "update" and it's almost unusably slow. 

I'm still a fan of Microsoft and would never go back to Apple -still riddled with it's own issues which users merrily overlook, but I just wish we could go back to XP days when everything seemed to work consistently!!!!

...as a software guy keeps telling me as software keeps getting "better" but works less well with each upgrade.  It's called "progress" and we should be glad of it!!!!!!!!!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 12:54:26 pm »

***Please note that blue font is reserved for the moderating team***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.