Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caerleon Castle  (Read 4219 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Caerleon Castle
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:06:31 pm »

Latest model plans just sent off to the Editor of Model Boats.
It's a simple model based on the small cruise ships of yesteryear.  Not based on a specific vessel and I do like the Union Castle colour scheme! Built using balsa, liteply and cardboard.  The length is about 32 inches with a beam of 6 inches but the draught is only 1/2 inch,

The idea of trying such a shallow draught came after reading of an American modelers success with models based on Ocean Liners on the RCGroups website. He has produced lightweight models using cardboard (strengthened and waterproofed with resin) and foam.  Only a limited draught was needed to support them and they looked great and sailed in a most stable and realistic fashion.

Suitably intrigued, it took me a while to figure out why they were so stable after which a model to test this idea had to be built.  Luckily a plan of a small cruise ship had been sketched out many years ago but then filed away but, fortunately, not forgotten.  Using a single RE360 motor, a six cell Nimh battery and two function RC but no ballast, it sails (or maybe "skims" is a better term?) in a healthy manner.

So, this idea of what is really a waterline RC model is worth considering.  Economical and quick to build but look OK on the water

Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Caerleon Castle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:18:36 pm »

She looks a treat Mr G :-)) Nothing 'cartoon' about that model. I keep meaning to have a go at one of your models. I have Penelope on the go (though paused so I can get other things done).

I look forward to reading the article in the coming months.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:45:32 pm »

I think the stability is down to the 'tubby' hull form with its length beam ratio of 5.3:1 By comparision Queen Mary 2 has a L/B ratio of 8.3:1. I am currently building the big Revell kit and it does need an external keel for adequate stability. Actually the hull itself is reasonably stable but very susceptible to side loading from wind.

Glynn's shallow draught model benefits from 'form stability' in that the wide waterline footprint and light upperworks are resistant to sideways forces. A great looking model and obviously performs very well.

Colin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:43 pm »

Humm???....Colin
               That's just what I thought at first.  But, after some more thinking it was clear that in a shallow draught hull, compared with a deeper one, the "Inwedge" and "Outwedge" form a much greater fraction of the total immersed hull volume.  As a result the Centre of Buoyancy will move much further and raise the Metacentre higher and ought to increase the righting couple created by the Upthrust and Weight acting on the model.
The Metacentric Height of this model was not measured but I did check its stability by placing weights on top of the superstructure.  No signs of instability was observed until more than half the models original weight had been added!
This sort of model, I suppose it could be considered to be a working RC waterline model?, might not appeal to everyone.  But, as a quick and economical means of creating something that looks reasonable and sails well, it's worth considering.  I'll definitely use it again.
It also fits in well with my Engineers approach of "what you don't put into something, doesn't cost anything, doesn't weigh anything and cannot break".  Plus the light weight means its easier on my back when launching and recovering!
Glynn Guest

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:31:36 pm »

God it's getting technical! I remember the castle boats in harbour at Southampton as a kid. Always loved the colours.
Any chance of GG doing a titanic lookalike?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »

Glynn,

I'm not familiar with the terms inwedge & outwedge but what you are describing seems to be similar to my understanding of form stability as in the diagrams here:

http://nordkyndesign.com/transverse-stability-part-1-fundamentals/

Colin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 01:10:38 pm »

Plans now published in the June issue of Model Boats.
I'am afraid it has been made into a two part article but there's enough in this first part to get started and discover the joys of "shallow sailing".  Things like not risking injury when bending down to launch or recover your model!
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:04 pm »

There's nothing wrong with several instalments as you know some of what is coming in future editions and you can go back and re read the previous chapters to reacquaint yourself with how things match up.

Pond weed is your enemy

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 08:57:15 pm »

I do wish they wouldn't break so many articles into two or more parts! Look forward to reading it and already considering a build modified to be RMS At Helena once I have completed my current builds.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:23 am »

Channel,
       If you do build a modified model then let us know how it turns out.  It can be more rewarding than copying a plan design.
Glynn Guest

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 01:57:00 pm »

I do wish they wouldn't break so many articles into two or more parts! ........................…..

Could not agree more. I really do not like split articles. I guess it is done because:
1. The article is very long & it would take up too much of the magazine if put into one issue or
2. They want to be sure that you buy more than one issue to get the model

I wonder which (or other offers)

Nice looking model - I must get a grip on the stability factors.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »

The latest and now last editor's intention was to introdue a bit more variety into individual issues with shorter but more items but of course that does then mean there is less room for longer articles.

But be grateful for small mercies, back in the 1970s and earlier serial articles were the norm. I think Dave Metcalf managed to spin one of his build articles over nine moths on one occasion!

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »

The latest and now last editor's intention was to introdue a bit more variety into individual issues with shorter but more items but of course that does then mean there is less room for longer articles.

But be grateful for small mercies, back in the 1970s and earlier serial articles were the norm. I think Dave Metcalf managed to spin one of his build articles over nine moths on one occasion!

Colin

I remember the Rev Mowll, spinning his SS Great Britain  build over a number of years, never mind months......it went on so long it was still going after I came back from Australia, lol.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 07:59:26 pm »

Quite right Neil, and it ended up as a book!

When I finally got to see the model I found it a bit disappointing though. Not quite the quality I had expected.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36:01 pm »

As long as the article is worthy of extending over several issues then I have no problem. I buy the magazine every month because I want to read it, from end to end. I enjoy Dave Wooley's series of warship builds over several years, and because warships are my thing, it is a draw to keep buying.

Regarding the new editor, I have experienced his guardianship of Military Modelling (now sadly defunct  <:( ) and he did breathe life back into it, putting some classic elements back in. I want to point out that the outgoing editor of Model Boats also did a great job, and showed an interest at the sharp end, getting into boating and competing.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.