Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texturising  (Read 1996 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Texturising
« on: December 21, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »

Is there a thread on weathering effects and how to achieve them ?   would like to do one to replicate this

ShipSpotting.com

© frode adolfsen

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

RST

Re: Texturising
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:58:46 pm »

I don't know if there is athread on here but youtube / google is just full to absolute bursting with detailed how-to's and videos.  There's a humbrol guy on youtube who is good in narrative.  Start with this and just explore ideas that pop-up and using salt crystals???...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGLCRCIxrwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EWdr6t8m0

...there's just so many weathering guides out there.  Different folk prefer different methods, there's NO right, wrong or difinitive method so you have to experiment with techniques and top clear coats to seal it yourself.

Hope the links spark some ideas,

Rich

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 02:36:13 am »

cheers Rich, sounds a good way top go

Balders
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:07 am »

Spooky that you should ask this question.

I was going to put together a topic detailing with photo's and videos (youtube based) in the new year, so that if anyone wanted to weather their models, all they would need to do is follow my photo/text examples.

The rust in that boat will not be difficult to achieve, just very time consuming -  you will need sea salt, rock salt, salt flakes to begin with. Watch the videos about using salt or hairspray, ordinary table/cooking salt does not work. Also your paint medium needs to be acrylics not enamels and preferably of AK, MIG, AMMO, ModelColor, Tamiya extraction. There are a few others but acrylics from diy/Halfords shops will not work, they have to be modelling acrylics.

If you check out Modelcolor and AK Interactive websites, they also do rust paints making it even easier. Not only rust, but diesel oil, petrol, rain stains, moss, lichen, mud, thick rust, snow, the amount of paints just for 'weathering' a model is vast, I have 20 different pots of weathering paints besides my standard model paints.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:06:45 am »

Very good quality modelling paints can be had from the shops that specialize is comics, war gaming, and fantasy figure models.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:16:35 am »

Any weathering, whatever medium is used, has to be done gradually, with very thin medium and lots of layers to make it look like it happened over time rather than the ship having been visited by a vandal.  Without a lifetimes practice, trying to "get it in one", is probably doomed, you just can't get the subtlety in one pass.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »

Have a look at the model railway sites as well, they do a lot of weathering, a lot of how to info on them

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:53 pm »

And military modelling magazines/forums. Mig Jimenez has published 25 booklets on weathering as well as developing a whole range of weathering products.

I used to use humbrol enamel and talc for exhaust rust and general rust, though not all rust is grainy due to the model's scale. I found that Tamiya acrylic 'Buff' creates many dust and dirt options.

Rust is an art in it's own right given the effects of drying, age and fire can have on its colours. An old oil drum used as a brazier will be dark red- brown until it rains and then streaks of orange/ orange- brown appear, then where the rain collects in dents it might go blue-black.

Amazing.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.