Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 inch tv  (Read 3108 times)

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: 50 inch tv
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 09:08:13 pm »

Have a look at JBL bluetooth headphones. I find them comfortable to wear and well made, but most importantly not too expensive (£30 from Argos).

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 08:57:34 pm »

I am in the workshop most of the time…

By ‘workshop’ you of course mean ‘brasserie’  ;)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 09:53:59 pm »

Might be  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 12:35:58 am »

Hi fastelectrics, thanks for that.  I have checked the £30 are on ear, but they have dearer ones which are over-ear.  If I use these I can remove both hearing aids and give my ear spaces a rest!
Roy

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 07:44:07 pm »

thhonesink i have got the tv i want dolby sound and head phone socket will i still get dolby sound through the head   phones

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2022, 08:09:56 pm »

regiment

Dolby is some American wizardry invented many years ago......it works by compressing a greater signal into, or over a given band width
If your stereo headphones are of sufficient quality, the drivers will decode and deliver the Dolby signal

Having said this, I have a Colleague in his late 80's, who cannot distinguish between a Dolby enhanced piece of orchestral work, to the standard signal of the identical work without Dolby

I believe life can sadly play tricks on our hearing as we age {:-{

Derek   
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 11:01:04 pm »

The headphones do not decode the  tv does me thinks Gordon is after Surround sound

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 01:20:50 am »

Like most people with a hearing problem, my hearing has been damaged in a specific range. It is only slight, but i do have trouble hearing some voices on TV.
I have found that changing the sound settings on my TV has helped. In the settings section there is usally a menur labelled sound/audio or something similar. Within that menu are options for concert/voice enhance/surround sound/hdmi/etc. etc. I have found by experimenting with these I can hear better.
Here is a link that shows the settings on a several popular manufacturers. But even my Chinese brand cheap TV I has an audio menu. https://success.highfive.com/hc/en-us/articles/206500445-Recommended-TV-Audio-Settings-all-brands-

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2022, 09:53:14 am »

This is getting really complicated and I am not sure that I even know what the issues are that we are trying to solve. I suspect that we are just managing to confuse the issue by offering so many well meaning, but different, solutions without precisely knowing what we are trying to achieve

Dolby is a whole different can of worms. Early Dolby seemed to be mainly about reducing hiss on recordings whilst the later versions have included a lot about surround sound.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2022, 11:12:45 am »

Tug Gordon started his queries in other posts month ago  all seemed to have headphone connection  as a priority. Forget about Dolby basically it is all either 2 channel audio/stereo or multi channel audio/Surround. As you say Dolby bit too complex for here.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2022, 05:51:36 pm »

As far as I can see the original question has now been resolved, He has a TV, It has a Headphone Socket.  Job Done.

As for Dolby    %%    Unless it is the theme Music to Star Wars or War of the Worlds or is that surround sound!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2022, 06:31:33 pm »

Realistically, if you get past the age of 70, any decent reception through headphones is a plus. Your declining faculties are unlikely to distinguish anything beyond the basic sound reception. My hearing aids have bluetooth connection with my PC so I have some control over audio profiles but there is only so much you can achieve once your ears start to fail and frequency levels are impaired. Particularly the higher ones.

Too many people think you can regain normal hearing through technology but the truth is that you can't. You can only make improvements to a certain degree which is dependent upon your particular impairments. Very often the result isn't too bad at all. For me the audio tracks which incline towards bass emphasis are the best. As with most people with heraing loss, the  high frequenies are the first to suffer.

However the brain is a curious thing and can fill in gaps. So if you listen to a music track from what you recall years ago it will combine what you are hearing with what you remember to produce a reasonable reproduction of what you used to hear. And that, really, is the best you can hope for.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2022, 08:21:36 am »

Hi I agree with what Colin has outlined I too have 'profound' hearing loss, but that sounds worse than it is  As a young man I had access to a low frequency generator and made a sound rig and a friend and I tested each other.  We could both hear the extreme high frequencies 21Khtz now my cut off is below 4 Khtz.   
I have found that NHS latest hearing aids compensate very well.  I can often hear conversations at a long distance but when close up with a 'party' background it all becomes a jumble of sound.
Do not under-estimate the NHS hearing aids, although visible behind the ears I can switch off the rear microphone, tune into an audio ring in a room and also select partial local hearing for cmpanions to talk to you.  THey are set up by a computer controlled device which has headphones and tests your hearing and records the result. 

Then your own hearing aids are plugged in and the computer downloads the amplifier settings.  Then the hearing aids are put back in the ear and simple tests carried out like low speach behind you and then there is a bit of fine tuning to suit you.  The operator then goes through the available programmes, choosing your options, like volume control etc. What I select on one uses WiFi to set the same condition on the other.

I often fly long haul and the on ear head phones are fine as the ambient noise levels are low (beware lots of air noise in the so called 'Dreamliner').

I have been using bluetooth over ear headphones without my hearing aids and they work very well with my TV it does block out exterior sounds though.  My TV switches the sound from speakers to headphone when the jack plug is inserted and although bluetooth is in the TV my 49 inch set is bottom of the pile and has it by-passed. 

I have Virgin cable TV etc and the Virgin set top box has an audio output independent of the TV and I use this via a bluetooth Tx.  It means I can also tune the Virgin box to a news channel turn off the TV and listen in bed to the news as I never turn the Virgin box off.

By the way if you do a search for how a modern camera works and how the image is created you are going to be in for a surprise, like they say "It is not what you think".
Regards
Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2022, 05:12:54 pm »

My wife has significant hearing loss , mainly caused by shingles a while back. She does not get much input from the television and this is causing her to loose contact with her surroundings. We got her an NHS hearing aid a few years ago but she could not get on with it , wonder if it was tuned into her hearing correctly ?  I have been wondering if she could hear the television better through a pair of bluetooth earphones but I am at a bit of a loss as to how this would work and how to set it up.
 We are on Virgin Media and have a V6 box and the television is a 43" LG wi-fi enabled. Can anyone point me to an idiots guide as to how this can be arranged
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2022, 06:25:28 pm »

Hi Baldrik I bought a set of headphones and bluetooth transmitter.  I have the blue tooth tran. plugged to the Virgin box.  Tuning the headphones in is easy.
I bought mine from Avantree model HT 5009 already factory paired up.  Current price £109.99.  Worth checking around currently on offer on Amazon

regards
Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2022, 07:44:51 pm »

Hi Roy.
   Was that the Medley Air  ?

cheers B-k
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2022, 09:10:37 pm »

I have not heard that name.  I am using them this minute they have a 3 year warranty.
Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2022, 09:35:58 pm »

Headphones are like ordinary speakers. Those that you like may well not sound at all the same as those that I like. The current fashion for "super bass" generally sound awful to me with the bass just being a mush of noise yet they obviously sell.

I would never buy speakers or headphones without hearing them, or at least have listened to a range of headphones so that I had some concept of what was available and thus what suited me first.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2022, 11:43:56 pm »

Hi all, I have just received a Prtukyt 8S head set and a BT6 Wireless transmitter / receiver.  They have been charged up and they work very well.  The over ear comfort is good speech is very good and clear and easy to understand without hearing aids.  I am wearing the head set as I type this.

The instructions are simple but the text is very small but it paired up without any fuss.  I was concerned about this as I have a second bluetooth transmitter and was not sure if there would be any confusion but I need not have worried.  I see no reason why a second head set would not pair up to the same transmitter.

The cost was in total £31 including p&p. from Amazon.  Very good range very happy!
Roy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.