Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Harley - Rose  (Read 160 times)

belli

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Basil Harley - Rose
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »

I have the B.H. Rose attached, the plans call for a 'Modeen' steam engine plant.  A quick google search yielded nothing, does anybody have any info on the steam plant?
Logged

Colin Bishop

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10,590
  • Location: SW Surrey, UK
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:09:23 PM »

Google Modeen model steam engine and you will get quite a lot of hits including on here.

Colin
Logged

frazer heslop

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 227
  • Location: Durham
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44:22 PM »

From memory it was a single acting engine 3/8 bore 5/8 stroke .The other engine USE is now sold by Tony Green
http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110
Logged

belli

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:00:01 PM »

The .pdf in the first post is wrong!  I don't know how to edit it.  Why didn't anybody say anything??


Please delete and use this one.  .dxf Is available for all you laser cutters out there too.
Logged

belli

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:15:15 PM »

So, construction proceeds unabated...

I was struggling with the stringers, at first I tried 1/4"x1/4" as per the plans but they were really difficult to work with.  Far too stiff and I wasn't in the mood for rigging up some kind of steaming device.  I ended up using 1/8"x1/4" as per the lower stringers and they are much easier to bend.  Once laminated with a bit of thin cyano I think they will be better than 1/4"x1/4".

I was also reaching new levels of frustration with the stringers jumping out of place while trying to get them against all the formers.  I then used my noggin and put some rubbers against each bulkhead to hold them and then things went much smoother.  When done I can just snip the rubbers off, I am sure that I am not the first to think of this but this really helped my sanity.

Another change I made was to fit an additional bulkhead in the nose, this will help to maintain the profile close to what the deck shape is and make it easier to fit the bottom sheets.  I have two more stringers to add and then I can lose my sanity trying to glue the bottoms on.  I have also added 'formers' in-between the bulheads to help support the bottom, you can see them in the rubber photos, these were sanded to shape before gluing in and that was so much easier, I now rate my chances of getting the bottoms in reasonably well at about 90% (up from 60% without them).

I also added a 'horizontal former in the nose that the stringers attach to.  This helps guide the correct profile and allows gluing in the stringers without any real pain.  They overlap to improve the joint strength.  Don't mind my crappy gluing...

I also made a 'W' shaped ply piece to hold the stringers in while gluing them, can also be seen in the last photo.   I can open the width of the slot as each stringer is added.

All thee changes have been added to the plan which I will post here a bit further along on the build.  Gotta be sure it's right first.
Logged

KNO3

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,229
  • Location: Vienna
Re: Basil Harley - Rose
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:56:27 PM »

Good idea laminating the stringers. You probably need more clamps. You can never have enough clamps when building a plank on frame hull :-)
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up