Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 57965 times)

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2020, 05:01:23 pm »

What are the two white lamps on the mast for?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #526 on: October 26, 2020, 09:45:21 am »

What are the two white lamps on the mast for?

I think that they are work lights for the wheel house deck as there’s not any others to fit?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #527 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:09 am »

mmmm ....

I think Calin may be suggesting the two white lights as installed and so seen from fwd & astern, in those orientations don't appear in this International lighting Standard   %)

https://www.sailingissues.com/navcourse10.html

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Kirklees MBC/ Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #528 on: October 26, 2020, 11:02:12 am »

Interesting.  All the images I can find of this vessel show these lights as you have fitted them Mark. The only variation I've observed is the height of them. Some have chosen to place higher than the funnel and some have not.

They certainly don't look like nav lights

an example of lower

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Kirklees MBC/ Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2020, 11:11:00 am »

This one does appear to have a white nav light on the head of the mast.
Excuse the music  %%

https://youtu.be/Y086jS6Kp5E. at 48 seconds and better near the end.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #530 on: October 26, 2020, 11:57:13 am »

I reckon they’re deck lights.
Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #531 on: October 26, 2020, 04:02:07 pm »

Interesting.  All the images I can find of this vessel show these lights as you have fitted them Mark. The only variation I've observed is the height of them. Some have chosen to place higher than the funnel and some have not.

They certainly don't look like nav lights

an example of lower

There are some really nice variations of this model as can be seen by both the picture above and also in the YouTube clip. I think it’s really great the way builders put their own spin on this tug.

I reckon they’re deck lights.
Jerry C.

And me  ok2

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2020, 10:31:47 pm »

Whoever built that must have sailed in Blue Funnel Line.
Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #533 on: November 21, 2020, 04:14:33 pm »

Hi All

Sorry about the lack of updates but I have wasted entire weekends trying to make the main towing bollard  <*<

I think I tried about 6 - 7 attempts to make it out of wood which is what I wanted and just had to give up.  The problem was having to drill a 8mm hole through a 12mm dowel.  I an just not geared up for this sort of thing at all.  I needed a 8mm end mill to do this but I haven't got a tool that can drive a bit like this anyway.  Here's a picture of just how hard I tried.  I drilled a 8mm hole through the 12mm dowel which just gave loads of tear out.  So I then undercut this to make it disappear but it became so weak that when I inserted the horizontal bar it just cracked and fell apart.

So after many lost weeks I swapped to brass.  Even then I still couldn't drill the holes so I made them out of 5 pieces of brass and butt soldered them together.  This is obviously an issue when building on a bigger scale.  Its OK but not what I wanted

Next was to remove the piece of deck in the middle so that I can get access to the motor lubricator.  OK I've been putting this off for over a year but I had to do it so out came the saw  %%

What a cavernous space  :-))

The piece of deck is now held in place by a "U" piece that I made and I fitted the main bollard to this with screws and epoxy.  Its really simple to remove and fits well so I guess I was over worried and should have done it sooner

This is how it looks once everything else is on the deck

You also probably noticed that I have made the bulwark stantions complete with fixing rings.  These were a bit of a challenge as the mahogany is cut into a ""T" section and then scribed into the deck and capping rail - all 22 of them  %%

The next thing I made were the two rear deck covers.  I did these in the same way as the engine house by using a boxwood base with a mahogany top.

And as an aside I completely stripped and rebuild the TVR1A engine as I needed to remove the brass bolt kit that I installed.  It looks great but is not as practical as the supplied steel bolts.  I'm trying to build some longevity into this boat and hopefully this is another step towards it.

I'm really hoping to have this build totally complete for next weekend - wish me luck!!!

Cheers Mark

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #534 on: November 21, 2020, 04:48:45 pm »

Well done Mark, it looks first class, I am so looking forward to see your finished boat in steam and on the water.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #535 on: November 21, 2020, 05:01:52 pm »

The build is looking really good Mark. Personally I think the brass bollard works well, looks the part. Best of luck this week getting it all together.  :-))

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #536 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:47 pm »

The brass bollard looks great, better than the wood version.

Why did you change the hex bolts of the engine? I'm not sure I understand why the steel bolts would be more practical, since they wouldn't get removed often.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #537 on: November 21, 2020, 06:43:31 pm »

Thanks for the comments  :-))   I'm waiting for some varnish to dry - which is still tacky over a week after applying.  I'm sure its just that time of year so I need to be patient.  The steam plant needs to be installed which has never been in since the planking was put on nearly 2 years ago.  It'll be tight but OK

KN03 - The brass bolts were way too soft to get a decent seal on the steam tight parts.  I found that they stripped easily and just could bot take the torque required.  Just my experience and others have probably found the opposite.  Also due to this experience and just how hard it is to get the entire plant in and out I just couldn't see why I needed to make this great little engine look better.  I reckon its performance and reliability has to outweigh any atheistics.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:42 pm »

I like the brass, it sets off the gorgeous woodwork.
Jerry C.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up