Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 144411 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »

Tut tut Mark, I can see a spek of dust on your cutting mat, you are getting untidy mate!

Only kidding......this is some quality build, cannot wait to see how the next layer comes out. Fingers crossed you don't have to paint her.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2018, 01:39:33 pm »

I have been watching the planking operation with interest - it seems to be beautifully done and is a credit to you. In the thread you mentioned varnishing the final finish to show off the planking. An alternative would be to use epoxy resin as its much tougher than varnish and will give a very strong finish. If you want stronger you can cover it with finishing fibreglass tissue. The thinner the better as when wet with resin it goes completley transparent and shws every grain of the wood and after a couple of coats of resing any firbeglass gain is totally invisible. It makes for a very strong and completley waterproof hull.

Cheers and and keep up the good progress.

Geoff

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2018, 04:36:21 pm »

Hi Stewart thanks mate and yes I’ve started getting a bit messy  :embarrassed:  however my wife will soon put me back on the straight and narrow if I keep it up  {-)

Hi Geoff thanks for comments and suggestion. I used fibreglass cloth and resin on my last build to get a nice surface to paint on. I never thought about using it again but I think your suggestion would probably be a better way to do the finish. The nice thing about using epoxy is that once it’s dry I could use a fine scotch pad to get a Matt finish too  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2018, 06:10:07 pm »

Hi everyone

Just a quick update  - At last  - yes at last I have placed the final planks on the other side of the hull (thanks god for that i hear you all say)  {-)   So now I have a complete hull albeit not water tight

Its not quite symmetrical but I'm quite pleased seeing as I only marked out one side of the hull and basically winged the other side

So I've started on the forecastle which shouldn't take long but boy is it clinkered simply because of the very tight radiuses  - but it'll be okay

So now its just a case of finishing the forecastle and getting down to some serious filling and sanding to get the shape that I want.  Its not too far off but in places I've done a really shoddy job but this is my first attempt at this. 

I'm off on my holidays tomorrow and will be in Egypt over Xmas and will be back on the 29th December to start again.  So I'd like to wish everyone on MBM a very merry xmas and also like to think everyone for there help and support.  I really couldn't do my builds without the help that I get here.  Speak to you all later in December :)

Mark  :-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2018, 06:15:10 pm »

Looking very smart Mark I'm sure it will be perfection and nothing less even if it means doing bits again. I get frustrated with mistakes but get a doubling of satisfaction when I correct anything.
You need scale crewman in shot for a sense of scale and frivolity  :-))

Pictures are excellent thank you
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2018, 06:21:15 pm »

Ta Andy - I've got another layer of planks to go yet - honestly I can't wait  {-)   Mind you I'm planning on cutting these planks myself so I hope it works out.  As always I'll post the pictures complete with disasters too!!!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »

Ta Andy - I've got another layer of planks to go yet - honestly I can't wait  {-)   Mind you I'm planning on cutting these planks myself so I hope it works out.  As always I'll post the pictures complete with disasters too!!!
Sure you know that the second layer must be so much easier once you've contoured the first layer. So much pleasure ahead  :-)
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »

Sure you know that the second layer must be so much easier once you've contoured the first layer. So much pleasure ahead  :-)

You'd like to think so but I've gone with the whole idea of using the planks as a finish rather than painting, so the second layer will not follow the lines of the first layer.  I'm hoping to use different woods as if i were painting it - famous last words but I'm going to give it a go.  I'll know if its going to work when I start marking out the second planking.  I'm going to need quite a lot of help so be ready for questions and advice :)  If all else fails I know I'm good with filler and an airbrush  %%

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2018, 06:32:22 pm »

I think you'll make easy work of it when you get going
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2019, 03:45:17 pm »

Hi All

Well I've managed to get some more work done on the Anteo.  Firstly I have finished the forecastle planking which funnily enough really caused me some problems.  I thought that it would be really easy using such short lengths but it wasn't.  The shape looks a bit strange and thats because once all of the planking is finished it has to be sculpted into shape so quite a lot if it will be removed.

So thats the first layer of planking done and I've a few observations about doing this type of model now.  There really are not enough bulkheads to get the perfect shape with the first layer of planking.  They are way too far apart and if this were a static model I would recommend using filler blocks between them to get a decent shape before planking.  As its an RC model you can't really to this - so if I were doing it again I would add extra bulkheads and then remove them after the planking was complete.

So next I've started just giving the planks an initial knock back with some pretty course sand paper on a block.  I've discovered lots of depressions which will require filling but I don't see this as a problem.  Its just time consuming but I need to get the hull perfect before the second layer of planking.  Here's what the Anteo looks like now after having the worst sanded down.  I'm honestly quite pleased with the way its coming along.  I can really see the shape of the hull now.

I've also been cutting some planks ready for the second layer.  Even if I wasn't trying to leave a natural finish on this model there is no way I would use the suppled planking wood for the second layer.  Its not very good quality lime wood and its so grainy which makes it very difficult to sand without it picking up on the surface  {:-{   I'll use it for stirring epoxy instead  {-)

These planks have been cut from boxwood which is a very close grained yellow wood and its lovely to work with - well cut on a table saw anyway!  They are 1150mm long, 1.6mm thick and 13mm wide but I think the finished width will be 6mm.  I'll know better once I've marked the final planking out.

So this weekend I've got lots of filling and sanding to do which will please Lorraine no end.  She doesn't mind the dust as I always clean up, its the smell of the filler she doesn't like  %%   I'll keep you posted

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:08 pm »

In Your post at 03:45:17 PM today, can you tell me about Your little sander with what appears to be a vacuum attachment?
 Looks like a great, smaller sander; I have not seen that one before.
 What is the make / model of it?
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2019, 09:56:33 am »

Hi - These sanding blocks are great  :-))   They are 125mm x 75mm and as you say they connect into a vacuum cleaner to remove all of the dust as you go. 

You can use either sanding sheets with holes in or Abranets.  I'm using Abranets and they work very well indeed.  You also need to buy the hose which connects it to your vacuum but its not expensive and its quite long too. 

I've sanded one side of my hull and there's no dust to speak of in my room where I work.  In fact even my clothes were still relatively clean whereas I would usually be covered in dust.  Here's a link to the tool

https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-sanding-blocks-with-extraction-ax851921

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2019, 03:49:51 pm »

Well I'm a pretty happy boat builder today.  I've rough sanded all of the hull down now and the results were very good.  I used a 300mm long block as much as possible to get nice flat sides and also get the shape nice an even on both sides.

I've also filled and completed one side ready for the next stage and it didn't need much filler at all really.  I was very surprised as I thought that it would need loads.  Here's a few pictures which to be honest look like most of the other pictures I posted before but I was too pleased not to put something on the forum.  I apologise for my great mood but you've got to take it why you can as it may change when I fill the other side  {-)   Its so tempting just to give it a coat of epoxy and cloth and give it a coat of paint but I'll restrain myself  :police: .  Here's the pictures that look like all the others!

Just the other side to fill and sand now then its into unchartered territory for me  :-))  - Mark

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2019, 10:12:27 pm »

Looks terrific Mark. When I completed the clinker hull of SL Wear I “varnished” the hull inside with epoxy resin. All the joints were good as it was glued construction but I was shocked at the amount of seepage actually through the wood grain (mahogany). Not withstanding after only one thin coat it has remained tight as a drum. The epoxy that leaked to the outside was easily rubbed down before Yacht varnish applied and doesn’t show through at all.
Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:02 pm »

Thanks Jerry  :-))   Like you I will be giving this hull several coats of epoxy inside and out!

Now I've been an extremely lucky bloke this week as I went a bit mad with the sanding of the hull.  Both sides are now completely sanded to shape but I was unhappy with the hull at the end of the garboard strake at the stern.  Its shape just wasn't right and I realised that once the second planking was on it would look even worse.  If I didn't get it right at this stage it would be part of the boat forever.  Sooooo I sanded it to within an inch of its life to get the right shape and the pictures below.........yes that is the bulkhead just poking through  <:(   How the planks stayed in place is beyond me but I'm glad they did, I guess we all need a bit of luck every now and again.

Now here was my second problem with doing this.  This area is going to get a lot of pressure applied when the second planking goes on so I needed to strengthen it from the inside before I went any further.  Unfortunately the hull had two false decks installed holding the correct shape of the boat.  I cannot remove these until the second planking is finished.  So I took a deep breath and a very large hole saw and just went for it.  I cut an access hole so that I could pour some epoxy resin down onto the keel to support, stabilise and strengthen the planks.

Once the holes were cut I put just a little epoxy into place..........only to discover that my resin had gone off and would not set  >>:-( <*<

It took about 4 hours to carefully remove the useless epoxy using a scriber, forceps, cotton buds and lots of isopropyl alcohol.  I then bought some new resin which I'm glad to say has set and has done the job.  Its these things that really take time and just extend the build.  Anyway now thats done the next jobs are to cut another rabbet in the keel and stem for the second planking, and then to mark out the planking itself.  I'll keep you posted

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2019, 04:54:16 pm »

Hi All

Some more progress but also a bit of disappointment.  I've discovered that I cannot plank the hull using 3 types of wood all based around the water line.  I'll be using two types of wood now but I'll try and explain why with the pictures later.  Firstly I've cut the rabbet in the keel and stem for the second planking and also marked out the frames.  Here's a top tip - if you are double planking mark the frames as you go; I didn't and it takes ages to find them after and mark them out correctly

I then marked out the waterline.  This line is based around the deck being level so I cut two identical blocks and glued them to the false deck.  Thinking back I should have done this at the beginning of the build as it would have made positioning the hull much easier.

Then I marked the waterline using my home made tool  %%   I did this in the kitchen which annoyed my wife so a bunch of flowers was in order!!  I must say the plans with this kit are shockingly bad and as the plans are not to scale I used the top of the skeg as a datum for marking the waterline........in other words I had to make a best guess

Next I needed to know how the bulwarks were shaped and how the brass cladding was fitted so that I could get a line marked for the change of type of wood.  Again there are no clear instructions to its just a case of spending loads of time fitting and re-fitting until you think it looks about right.  All of the wood above the brass is sculpted away once its fitted permanently and that then gives you the true shape of the bow.

Now I hope I explain this okay - the next few pictures are a bit vague but I'll do my best.  After marking the line all the way along the hull below the brass,  I next marked another line 13mm below this one.  This is because just below the brass cladding sits an 8mm rubber bumper which allows 5mm of wood to show below that.  The part that I was interested in was the gap between this lower line and the water line as this is where my planks will sit.  Unfortunately this area at its narrowest point was 16mm and 55mm at its widest.  This meant the planks in this area vary from 4mm at their narrowest to 11mm at their widest.  This would just look bad so that put an end to that idea  {:-{

I hope this makes sense to you- basically the planks would flair to much at the bow and stern and look awful even if I could do it? 

So moving on - I'm now going to plank the bulwarks using light coloured boxwood.  The hull below the bulwarks will now be all mahogany as this is the wood that I've got most of.  Then I'll just paint a waterline on once I've given it a coat of epoxy.  I'll save the lovely pear wood I've got for the superstructure  :-))

So the next job is to mark out the planking runs so that I know how each plank will fit before making them.  By the way the red pen I'm using is archival ink and doesn't bleed too much into the wood grain.  You can get them on Amazon for £3

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »

That hull looks lovely - and perfectly symmetrical as far as I can see. Well done.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2019, 06:15:59 pm »

Yes very splendid  :-))  great pictures
BTW Mark adblue about 80p at the pump
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »

Thanks Andy and Greg  :-))

This morning I've marked out the planking runs which is a really enjoyable job  :-)   I've decided to use 6mm wide planks rather than the 7mm I used on the first layer.  My reasoning for this is because the 7mm planks struggled with some of the twists and turns so narrower planks will hopefully alleviate some of these problems.

I started at the widest frame and marked it every 30mm so I'm marking bands of 5 planks.  I then just loosely laid some vinyl lining tape across each line as I did before.  Here's a picture of the rough layout.

I then spent a few hours coming and going; looking at the hull and moving the tape into positions that I was happy with.  The main purpose of this is to try and get even bands, so that the planks look good and reduce the need for stealers and drop planks.  This was a lot easier this time working on a solid base rather then just the frames that I had before.

I'm happy with the results and I've marked each frame to record the positions.  If its right I'll end up with a 9mm wide garboard plank which is just about spot on!

Next weekend I'll mark out the individual planks and then transfer everything to the other side

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-))

BTW - George sorry I missed your call; I've left you a message mate and I'll call you next week  :-))   

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 05:34:27 pm »

Good progress. Planking a hull can get frustrating at times, but you decision to use narrower planks should make things easier. I would use even narrower ones, like 4-5 mm, as I did on my tug and it worked all right.
The easiest would be to use very narrow strips, like 2-3 mm, if you are ok with the look.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2019, 03:00:26 pm »

Hi KN03 - Thanks for the comments and your right it can be frustrating at times; but I've found that planning planking correctly saves many hours of time and waste when the wood actually goes on.  I've gone for 6mm planks hopefully as a balance between looks and ease of fitting but time will tell I guess.

A bit of an update - as planned I've transferred the planking lines to the other side and lined it out with tape.  I didn't do this on the first layer of planking which did cause me some issues so lesson learnt.  Honestly you could spend days trying to get this right but at some point you just have to accept its not going to get any better or precise

I then permanently marked these lines out and then lined out the bulwarks in the same way

Which after all of that gave me a grid on which to build each band of planking

I then divided each section into 5 - Each section carries 5 planks which at its widest point will be 6mm.  Except for the bulwarks I'm making them slightly wider.  I made a note of the width as I went along to save time later.  So now I know the width of each plank along its length - well hopefully

So thats the marking out complete so next up will be milling the planks and the actual planking - here's hoping its all ok!

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2019, 06:28:12 pm »

Hi All

Ok I've started the second layer of planking and about time too!!  First though I needed to make the planks so I started with some nice box wood and mahogany.

I milled these planks down into 1.5mm thick planks.  Being 13mm wide this really tested my table saw bit it coped...sort of.  I got lots of burning on the mahogany but it should sand out ok.

I then took the light coloured box wood and milled it to the 7mm wide planks that I needed

Now starting the planking I though that it would be best to start with possibly the hardest part.  Getting around the stern by laterally bending the planks.  I made a jig and soaked the wood over night and then just went for it with a hot air gun.  I would say that for every bend that went as it should I had 3 attempts that split along the grain.  Extremely time consuming but it went ok in the end.  Well as good as I could get it anyway

After making the plank it was time for gluing and clamping

Then I did the same with the second plank and cut the ends to length.  The result was really nice with good tight joints between them

I wasn't sure whether I could actually do this so I'm pleased with the results.  Now I need to replicate this on the other side.

Thanks for looking  - Mark  :-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »

Amazing quality
You really have made a rod for your own back  O0
Must be really satisfying and I hope it all goes to plan  :-)) 
Great pictures
ANDY

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:21 pm »

Your bent planks look great. I didn't know you could bend them so much flat.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2019, 05:16:02 am »

Yes Mark.......this was probably 1/2 of the more difficult planks to bend & install  :-))

I remember you conducted your own trials of adhesives for wooden planking, however wonder if a small number of bronze planking nails would not assist here for the long term?

The other question is the radial cutting marking on the face of the planks..............it is so realistic & would be a pity to hide it by sanding

Watching on as you progress

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.