Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 144337 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #450 on: July 04, 2020, 10:49:26 am »

Hi All

I've not been working on the boat too much lately as I've been doing the workshop up a bit but that's just about finished now.

Anyway I've made and fitted the 8mm x 2mm cap rail on the bridge.  I made it in the same way that I did the cap rail on the stern by making templates and assembling it off of the boat.  It took a few clamps to hold it in place whilst the glue dried.

I then made and fitted the lower trim which took some bending!  This is 2mm x 3mm and finishes the bridge off nicely

Next I needed to paint the navigation light boxes - so masking up

Airbrush the paint

The results

Thats it for now - the next jobs are too make all of the doors for the bottom of the superstructure and also make the brass work rails.

Mark  :-)

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: July 04, 2020, 12:58:13 pm »

Looking good! I hope you'll put some working lights / led's in the navigation light boxes.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2020, 03:56:32 pm »

Hi KNO3 it would be nice but I won't be fitting any lights on this build!

I've now made the doors and shutters for the lower superstructure.  Unfortunately I forgot to put the brass work and hinges into my ageing solution so I can't complete them just yet.  The rebates for the hinges came out better this time - I guess practice makes perfect

I've also made up the railings in my usual way and drilled the holes in the superstructure for them to fit when I'm ready

The next job was to have a think about how to mount the superstructure on the hull.  I decided to fit some 4mm brass rod into the deck which is supported very well underneath by pear wood blocks.  These rods then slide into metal ferrules which I have epoxied into the superstructure.  It really doesn't need anything else as its a great fit but I'll probably put a magnet at the rear just in case.

I now need to have a good look at the plans as I'm getting to the point where I need to protect what I've done so far with some varnish.  I think there's a couple more jobs to do before that but I'll have a look.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #453 on: August 11, 2020, 04:24:10 am »

Hi Mark T, enjoyed looking through your post, lovely work you have put into her .  :-)) .Cheers Brian.
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: August 11, 2020, 11:26:09 am »

Thanks Brian   :-))   I’m hoping to get an update on here soon I’ve just not had much time to work on it lately.   Maybe something next week  O0

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2020, 04:03:34 pm »

Hi All

Sorry for the very slow progress but I've a couple of updates at last.  Following on from my last post the doors and shutters are now finished.  The portholes, hinges and handles have been fitted and they have been given a coat of matt varnish.  I'm not sure how straight they will hang but I'll find out soon enough.  If they are really bad I'll glue them on shut.

I then made the lower trim for the boiler house - this has probably been the hardest piece of wood bending I've ever had to do.  The boxwood either split or splintered so I just kept at it until I luckily found a piece of wood with the right grain that would take the tight bend.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished trim but it can be seen here anyway.  Next I started making the upper deck supports which are slightly less than 90 degrees in angle.

And the supports get finished with an angled brace.  I moved away from the instructions again as they suggested using brass but I preferred the wood after doing a few trials.

Next I made the base block for the mast which couldn't have been easier

Again sorry for the long delay but I'll get some more pictures up tomorrow.  I'm just waiting for a few things to dry

Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2020, 04:48:27 pm »

I'm a bit lost for words with how impressed I am with this update but suffice to say those angle supports are top notch - great work Mark.

Regards,
Ray.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2020, 09:59:08 pm »

Again beautiful work! Don't glue your doors and windows shut, especially since you've built such nice hinges. It adds a level of interest to have moving doors and windows. Besides, having acces through there usually comes in handy later on, when repairing something.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #458 on: August 20, 2020, 12:59:26 am »

Looks lovely, so does the workshop. Where’re the spiders webs? My spider will hold things steady if I ask nicely. He also runs off and hides anything I drop on the floor. Got one on the narrowboat too. Lives on the cctv camera that looks at the battery monitor guaranteeing I can’t read the dials!   
Jerry.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #459 on: August 20, 2020, 08:08:19 am »

Hi Lads and thanks for the comments  :-))   I do intend to make all of the doors opening but getting the hinges in straight was tricky but hopefully it will work out. I've got some tiny magnets to keep them closed.  Jerry we do get spiders but only tiny house ones not like the one's you get in Australia (thank goodness!).  I've spent quite a bit of time getting the workshop just the way I like it.  I like to have everything away as it saves having to dust it all off after a good sanding session!

Ok its dried now so here's some more pictures.  I started making the bases for the boiler house vents which I want to actually work.  To get the correct angle off of the top of the boiler house I used a long piece of pine wood.  I kept on cutting the angle until it was vertical and then used this angle on the wood that I actually used.

I then cut the bases out of boxwood, cut a 2mm chamfer all around the top and drilled a 1/4" hole straight through the middle

Next I cut some 1/4" brass pipe to run through the middle of the bases and cut an angle to match the inside of the boiler house roof

Finally I glued the bases onto the roof and drilled through into the boiler room.  Then epoxied the brass tube through the middle to allow them to work and also give me a good base to attach the stacks onto later

Lastly I gave the inside of the boiler house a coat of epoxy a job which I don't like doing  {-)   Then fitted the previously made railings and portholes and gave the lower half of the superstructure a good coat of matt varnish both inside and out

The varnish has really enhanced the colour of the wood - I did miss a couple of glue spots that now look white but on the whole I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'll try and get some more up tomorrow

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2020, 09:10:09 am »

Morning Mark

Awesome workmanship. Such attention to detail is inspirational and wonderful to see. You're a modelling Yedi Master.
 :-))

David.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2020, 10:13:52 am »

Hope do you keep the workshop that clean? It looks spotless.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2020, 01:18:57 pm »

Hi both and thanks for the comments  :-))   I always think just build it as best you can and the rest will follow.

As for my spotless workshop I remember Martin saying that it was not normal to have a building bench as clean as mine  {-)   I have always worked very tidily its just my way, and as my workshop is a room in our home I need to keep on top of it.  My wife says that making a mess is no problem whatsoever, but leaving that mess is!!!!  Can't argue with that  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »

Some more progress - I made the little support for the tarpaulin bar that fits onto the bridge.  Its 6 x 6mm block with a 3 x 2mm slot

Next I fitted the navigation lanterns into the recesses

Then epoxied in the safety valve outlet pipe which pops out in the deck above.  I'm really pleased with the way this fits over the valve and I'll be taking my friends George's advice by putting an O ring over the valve to obtain a good seal.

And then I gave the top deck and bridge a good coat of matt varnish.  I think its starting to look quite nice now

I've also made a start on the interior furniture for the wheel house.  As seems the way with me lately I didn't like the suggested table to I made my own design

My little jig to make sure that the 4 x 4mm legs actually glued in straight and square  {-)

Looks ok to me  %%

I can't put the doors on yet as the varnish has not yet fully cured and I'll only end up marking it if I do.  So I'll carry on with the furniture and wheel house for now.  I'll see if I can get some more pictures up tomorrow

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2020, 06:44:55 pm »

I think you forgot to add a nice taper to the legs :)

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2020, 08:27:41 pm »

Maybe that's Chinese Chippendale?  :-)  Mark I have watched and watched and my jaw drops lower each time. I don't know how you do it. I have to say your Anteo build is the nicest work of boat modeling I have ever seen. Every aspect large or small is executed to perfection. Your excellent photo gallery has helped us see the real detail and care you put into it. I add my voice to the many compliments you have received and truly deserve. Amazing!

-Carl

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #466 on: August 22, 2020, 05:33:06 am »

Looks fantastic ,you really do deserve he comments btw what is your usual method making the railings brackets?
Cheers
John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #467 on: August 22, 2020, 01:49:59 pm »

I think you forgot to add a nice taper to the legs :)

Its not too late if you think it will improve things  :-)) %%

Looks fantastic ,you really do deserve he comments btw what is your usual method making the railings brackets?
Cheers
John

Hi John I always make my railings off of the ship on a separate board.  I find it much easier and then I can soft solder each joint together without any risk to my work.  I also use power flow flux as I have found that only a tiny amount of solder is required when I use it.  I hope this is what you wanted to know and thanks for your kind comments too.

Maybe that's Chinese Chippendale?  :-)  Mark I have watched and watched and my jaw drops lower each time. I don't know how you do it. I have to say your Anteo build is the nicest work of boat modeling I have ever seen. Every aspect large or small is executed to perfection. Your excellent photo gallery has helped us see the real detail and care you put into it. I add my voice to the many compliments you have received and truly deserve. Amazing!

-Carl

Thanks Carl - in fact thanks to everyone who comments as I find your reactions quite mind blowing if I'm honest.  They just inspire me and I'm sure other builders to try even harder.  The fact is I just really love building ships.  I'll get another update on the forum in a bit  :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #468 on: August 22, 2020, 02:48:04 pm »

If we all said what we think there'd be more comments than build  O0

Carl put it well  8)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #469 on: August 22, 2020, 03:02:47 pm »

Thanks very much Andy that's really nice of you  :-))

I've carried on with the furniture and fittings for the wheel house.  These two instrument panels are attached to the wheel house wall just underneath the front windows.

Ships compass

Ships wheel - I didn't make the wheel but I think Mantua did a lovely job of it  :-))

And as per usual I had to change something  {-)   I really didn't like the suggested captains chair at all.  It was a four legged thing with.a vertical back which looked extremely uncomfortable.  So I upgraded my captain to a very basic copy of an Isringhousen truck seat (Trust me they are very comfy)

Here are all of the parts just roughly placed in the wheel house space

And also with the wheel house on just to give an idea of what it will look like

So my next jobs are to fix all of these fittings in place, make and complete the wheel house roof and then give a finishing coat of varnish.  Loads to do and I'll get another update up sometime next week as we are away for a few days now.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #470 on: August 22, 2020, 10:17:26 pm »

Enjoying this one  O0 , absolutely beautiful workmanship Mark T  :-)) :-))
Brian  B

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #471 on: August 23, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »

Very nice. But the wooden chair doesn't look very comfy without some upholstery.
And, why are some of the instruments on the floor?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #472 on: August 27, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-))

KNO3 - if you met my captain you would see that he's as hard as nails and would see upholstery just something else to clean  {-)   The reason that the instruments are on the floor is because he's got a hump back and can only look downwards - only joking mate I just put them there to see how things would fit;  they actually are located on the wheel house wall just under the windows.

Here's a couple of pictures of the furniture now fully glued in place just waiting for the wheel house to be lowered onto the deck

Ok now onto the wheel house roof.  I thought that I had the timber to make this but I didn't  >>:-(   So first job was to cut 21 planks 6mm x 2mm to do the job.  I'm running out of mahogany now so I need to get this boat finished!!

Then measured and placed the first plank as everything else follows this one

Next I placed and glued the rest of the roof.  I didn't bevel these planks as the camber is so slight but I guess you could if you wanted too

Then sanded it to shape

Next I hit a problem - The roof has a drip trim that runs around its edge and no matter how I tried I could not get the tight bend at the front of the roof.  The mahogany snapped every time I tried so I gave up.  Instead I decided that the only way to do this was to make the corners from solid.  So I did  :-))   I cut the corners out and then glued them onto the corners

Lastly I put the rest of the edge around and sanded it to a finished shape.  I'm dead chuffed with this little detail and think it was well worth the effort

Next jobs are fitting the doors on the lower structure and the tarpaulin support on the wheel house.  I'll try and get some more up tommorow

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #473 on: August 27, 2020, 06:20:00 pm »

What a brilliant solution you've come up with!
Can't fault your great woodwork - inspirational.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #474 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:24 pm »

It was certainly worth the effort because your roof and the whole cab looks very good!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.