Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 144271 times)

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2020, 03:04:18 pm »

Mark, truly inspirational, an absolute master class in boat building and steam plant engineering, I have learned so much from your build, thank you for taking so much time to photograph and write the build up for others to follow, it is appreciated. I look forward to your next build and wish you good luck sailing Anteo on the open water - all the best Dave

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #551 on: November 29, 2020, 04:52:28 pm »

Hi Dave - thanks so much mate  :-))   I can't wait for spring to come around and get her on the water.  I need to join a club where they have a boiler tester so that I can get a running certificate but it'll pass no problem.

I've checked the poor joint and both the nut and thread look ok but don't seem to like each other.  So I'll change the nut next weekend and put that one to bed.  Its all cleaned up now from the test run which didn't take long considering the amount of oil I put on and through everything for the first run.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #552 on: November 30, 2020, 01:43:58 pm »

Hi Mark, I have just looked at your the videos. The tug looks beautiful and the engine seems to run very well. When is the maiden voyage scheduled?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2020, 05:49:39 pm »

Thanks KNO3  :-))  yes it all runs really nicely and in both directions too. The maiden voyage is unfortunately going to have to wait until the spring I think. This weekend I’ll repair the wayward nut and also make the inlet and outlet pipes for the pump. I’m just going to have to be patient then. I also need to find a club as I’m not a member of one yet. Hopefully they can help me get the required running certificate too.  8)

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2020, 06:31:06 pm »

Bonjour Mark;
Absolutely beautiful; nothing to say about your skillness and the result.
A suggestion based on my experience, to use the torque of your machine and save autonomy, change the propeller for a larger one  ;) 

My 7,5 or 8,5 cm3 boats are coupled to 90 mm propellers, example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbGjiD36xU

Other examples of 2,75" propellers offering +30%+50% of autonomy on two of my 3 cm3 boats : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl2NCWmyXA

And two of them coupled to a 11 cm3 with two indepedant gear boxes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CagA7tJTPrs
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #555 on: November 30, 2020, 07:47:35 pm »

Why do you need a club? Can't you just run it on a lake,  ideally without many people around?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2020, 11:47:23 pm »

You don’t need a club. The boiler is covered by the 3bar/liter EU rule. Clubs will have their own rules. Your house insurance covers your third party needs with a model boat ( not a real one) but nothing bad is going to happen anyway. Take it to Llyn Padarn  Sunday mornings 1000, by the slipway behind the toilets. Group of old guys (me). A club with no rules or membership or fees or "xxxxx". Divers in club opposite will always help recover a stalled boat for an air ambulance donation. They’re dying off so need young blood.
Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build - Final Pictures
« Reply #557 on: December 12, 2020, 01:12:31 pm »

Thanks for the comments lads  :-))   Raphael I need to have a bit of a play with this boat just to get the feel of it first. I'll stick with what I've got for the moment but probably change it around in the future.

Jerry  - no problem I'll meet up and have a sail  O0

So here she is ballasted down to her water line.  It took exactly 1kg of lead and thats with the boiler and gas tank both full.

And finally a video of her understeam - I'm sorry that the camera goes all over the place but I was trying to do two things at once.  The engine runs so sweetly in both directions and she ran in the bath for 25 minutes no problem.  The boiler feed pump works great too and I was surprised just how much water that propeller moves - wow!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaFeuyBk524

So it's going into hibernation now until the spring and we get our freedom back. Thanks for watching  :-))

Mmm time to start a new build  ;)

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #558 on: December 12, 2020, 01:15:59 pm »

Mark looks absolutely wonderful, a credit to you, I look forward to the spring when you can finally set the boat free on the open water. Good luck with your next build, whatever it may be - hopefully steam?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #559 on: December 12, 2020, 01:20:00 pm »

Magnificent 8) 
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #560 on: December 12, 2020, 02:20:47 pm »

Thanks Lads - I must be honest I've been playing with it all morning.  It just purrs and the engine has more torque than I thought it would once in the water.  I've no steam leaks now but I have found that the edge of the deck just above the engine has warped just very slightly.  It must be down its first meeting of heat rising from the engine.  I think I'll glue some stiffeners underneath just to help it along a bit.

David - this will probably be the last working boat that I make.  This is the boat that I've always wanted and I've made it now.  I've also discovered that its the building that I enjoy the most.  Having said that it would be nice for us all to meet up and have a sail - roll on Wicksteed!

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #561 on: December 12, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »

Superb!

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #562 on: December 12, 2020, 04:41:20 pm »

Lovely!
And no traces of oil in the bathtub! :-))
Bravo Mark!

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: December 12, 2020, 07:03:48 pm »

Bonjour Mark,
Great bathtub indeed  :-))  More seriously, what a beautiful singing tugboat ! About the propeller, listening to the machine full ahead, no problem to change it but not mandatory, you have a water pump.
Little question, which was the service pressure for this test ?
You will have a huge success when you navigate on a pond, I can't wait to see her there (give the camera to a friend  ok2 [size=78%]).[/size]
Raphaël

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: December 12, 2020, 07:21:39 pm »

Mark, I do hope to meet you at Wicksteed next year and admire the boat close up ( as it were)
 :-))
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #565 on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:04 pm »

Thanks for the comments

KBIO - My wife was also very pleased about this  :-)) {-)

Raphael - Thank you my friend  :-)   The boiler was regulated to 30PSI which seemed to be about right and the pressure relief valve was set to 40PSI and it never blew.  I have been to Paris so many times because of my truck driving especially to Chilly Mazarin, Rungis and Orly that my wife has suggested that when everything opens up again we should travel to France and meet up.  Could make a good YouTube video :)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: December 12, 2020, 07:24:32 pm »

Mark, I do hope to meet you at Wicksteed next year and admire the boat close up ( as it were)
 :-))

Phil - That would be great mate.  We know so many people on here but have never met look forward to it :)

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #567 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:14 pm »

Bonjour Mark,
I would be very happy to meet you there, I am sure you know my suburb, the "bois de Vincennes" and its two lakes (Daumesnil and Minimes). 
Raphaël

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: December 12, 2020, 08:01:36 pm »

Bonjour Mark,
I would be very happy to meet you there, I am sure you know my suburb, the "bois de Vincennes" and its two lakes (Daumesnil and Minimes).

Yes I do know that area but not that well - I could tell you a very funny story about getting in trouble with the Gendarmes in Rueil-Malmaison.  My friend and I Jim took the wrong road and completely blocked the place off with our trucks.  Funny now but not at the time  :-))   Lets hope that life gets back to normal  O0

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #569 on: December 12, 2020, 10:48:07 pm »

Thanks for the comments on my Stuart. It’s keeping me sane during my captivity here. I never doubted your tug would perform. Those little engines are little belters for their size and beautifully made. One little tip, make doubly sure the ahead/astern lever cannot exceed its limits if you’ve turned the notched column around. If it does the sleeves on the valve rods will come adrift and stop the engine. It happened to me. I ordered a new one from Graham and he sent half a dozen gratis. Only problem with him, he don’t communicate. We’llgo for a sail together near the Black Country Museum, Wear needs a good run. I don’t get to Llanberis any more cos we don’t have a car now, we hire one for special occasions. There’s one think missing that every tug needs. Google pudding fenders. All the best, see you when we can. Stay safe mate.
Jerry C.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2021, 04:51:13 am »

Top marks, she's a stunner Mark T , thanks for sharing  :-)) .
Brian  B

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2021, 02:31:32 pm »

Hi Mark been following this beautiful build from the start and I say what a splendid model .many thanks for the many detailed posts along the way

Congratulations
John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2021, 08:02:27 pm »

Top marks, she's a stunner Mark T , thanks for sharing  :-)) .

Thanks Brian I just cannot wait to sail her. I've fired the boiler up a few times and it runs beautifully.  It reminds me of a very reliable car for some reason!

Hi Mark been following this beautiful build from the start and I say what a splendid model .many thanks for the many detailed posts along the way

Congratulations
John

Thanks John - It sits on my window sill at the moment and I still look at it and just think how much enjoyment I got from building it.  My wife really like this one too so thats an approval if ever I've had one  {-)

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2021, 08:59:46 pm »

“My wife really like this one too” WOW high praise! Don’t know if any of us can achieve that lofty goal twice in a lifetime {-)

Seriously great work. Was a fun build to follow.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #574 on: April 09, 2021, 09:08:39 pm »

If the model is sitting on the window sill for any length of time, beware of sunny weather and turn the model regularly to avoid fading on one side.

Obviously, you'll be sailing her at the earliest opportunity.  :-))

Ray.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.