Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Magic Bullet Diode" Dual BEC Backup/Failsafe - YouTube  (Read 1797 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"Magic Bullet Diode" Dual BEC Backup/Failsafe - YouTube
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:43:41 pm »

"Magic Bullet Diode" could save your electric aircraft! BEC Backup/Failsafe for under $1

https://youtu.be/TK8MYkRHxck
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Magic Bullet Diode" Dual BEC Backup/Failsafe - YouTube
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:37:09 pm »

That is a simple good tip  :-)) :-)) :-))

and well worth incorporating into any model O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:29:11 am »

A good idea but - in he video he has a dry battery pack, probably giving a nominal 6 volts, so the radio and servos will be running on that until they discharge or fail, when the BEC will take over with its 5 volts if it is still getting enough voltage to do so.  Even a nominal 4.8 volt rechargeable battery will give more than the regulated 5 volts of the BEC, so its a really iffy backup, and the "backup" battery will need constant checking to prevent a false sense of security developing.  Its probably OK for a plane to lose power and still be steerable, but a boat without power rarely steers well.
I believe that one of our prominent makers of stuff has a Schottky device in his system for using two batteries.  Their purpose is to allow two main batteries to connect into and power one system without them risking damage to each other by allowing either one battery to charge the other, or for a suddenly dud one to discharge its mate.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:45:38 pm »

I believe that one of our prominent makers of stuff has a Schottky device in his system for using two batteries.  Their purpose is to allow two main batteries to connect into and power one system without them risking damage to each other by allowing either one battery to charge the other, or for a suddenly dud one to discharge its mate.
ACTion P103 from Component Shop.
DM

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »

Very useful device.  I have them in two boats.  Only disadvantage is that you must charge the batteries separately.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.