Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A painting / masking tip  (Read 2048 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
A painting / masking tip
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:12:57 pm »

I've just read this on a plastic kit site, so for once its not a homegrown tip of mine.

When you have your masking tape in place and have it pressed down as well as you can. Spray along the edge of the tape ( airbrush or very light rattle can) with the underlying colour. This will seal the edge of the tape with the colour you are protecting, once its dry lay down your paint of choice. There will be no seepage under the edge of the tape to spoil the underlying paint. Remove tape for a nice slick crisp line.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A painting / masking tip
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:04 pm »

Thank you for the info Brian. Never tried that before. Will try that out on a practice piece when conditions are favourable :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:55:57 pm »

I have used this method a few times and it’s good, but like anything it has its limitations much the same as tape tape has . Corners and geometry of the part or hull still come into play .

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »

If you use a decent fine line tape or even some insulation tape you do not need to do this as paint will not creep under fine line tape,,,,,,,,,,,, go to Ebay and simple type in 3M Fine line tape...I use this in work all the time and have never had creep under it....I spray buses Lorries with multiple paint colours so I think I might know a thing about masking.

A TOP TIP here....when you have down say for example the red antifouling and have obviously masked it up for the satin black hull spray the sating black on,when you are happy with it WAIT 30 mins and demask it straight away....yes I am CORRECT in what I am saying here....make sure your hands are clean then simply RUN your finger along the paint joint using LIGHT PRESSURE this WILL make the join line flat...if you leave it more then an hour then your are stuck with a hard edge.

Trust me on this it WORKS...dont Believe me then ASK Tug Kenny  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 10:15:57 pm »

been advocating this on my build threads for years, both on here and in Model Boats and Marine Modelling kit reviews...........

always spray from "above" in the direction of the masked area.............I tend to use a clear laquer OR  the colour of the paint that has already been painted.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:43:03 pm »

All good, useful tips. Looking forward to gently fondling my paint job next time!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.