Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > GRP & Epoxy

Fibre glass cloth

<< < (2/4) > >>

Paragon:
Hi all thank you for the replies. I’ll have a look and see what on that site , I might go for something slightly heavier if the light stuff is a nightmare to use .
All my hulls have been of wooden planked boats until now , this ones a steel trawler so I don’t want the plank lines to show through.

Thanks

John

Subculture:
I've not found it difficult to use. I work with it in the following way-

Mix up a small amount of epoxy resin, you can thin this a little if you choose, and apply a thin coat of epoxy to the hull, this seals the wood. Allow to dry for a few hours until tack free.
Cut cloth to size, place to one side.
Mix up your epoxy resin, and brush a coat on the hull, working from the middle of the hull out, drape the cloth over the hull, and gently consolidate with a brush, adding epoxy where needed to ensure there are no dry spots. Ensure the hull is placed in a warm room or hot box to dry for at least 24 hours.

Paragon:
Thanks Subculture.
I have ordered 1oz 28 gram cloth  , let’s hope I’ll be able to use it .
I’ll probably have a practice before applying to the hull . I’ll need to do it in two parts , hull then upper deck . I take it any join lines can be sanded down and fill so they aren’t seen ?

John

Subculture:
At this thickness the cloth is so thin, joins barely show. The main thing you have to be careful of is sanding through the cloth, so don't go balmy with the wet and dry! I tend to give the hull a second coat of epoxy resin to fill any weave, then use standard polyester filler to fill in any obvious areas of the hull which may be cosmetically poor, then apply two or three coats of filler primer. Cut that back and you should have a lovely finish, and the boat should be tough and waterproof.

Paragon:
Thanks Subculture!
I’m still planking so this is ahead of me a bit but I like to get prepared in advance.
I’ll do as you say and hopefully all will work out well .

Thanks again.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version