Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LESRO ATLANTIC 21....full kit  (Read 35072 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LESRO ATLANTIC 21....full kit
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2018, 03:24:53 pm »

well.......it was sixteen days and two hours exactly from start of this resurrection to fixing in principal, the last of the parts of this lifeboat.......and it has been very enjoyable too.....this lunch time I made a jig, drilled the holes and dry fitted the grab lines to the side of the hull. just a case of now stripping it down, painting all of the parts and then buying and fitting a motor, esc and servo links to the outboards, and off she'll go........
I'll wait a week or so for the weather to warm up a little and for my workshop heaters to gain on the colder weather to spray the old girl........so, until it's all painted, this is probably my last post on this, unless any questions about moulding, etc, and on to my next project/s

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2018, 03:09:00 pm »

someone asked me whether it is easy to mould fittings from ones they have made, and I said.....very easy, and very gratifying and satisfying......I made this set of moulds for one of my cracked outboards on the Atlantic 2, and as it is going to be used for steering the boat I didn't want to have it break on me.

if any one wants a step by step low down on my methods of making moulds......just look on any of my build threads, as it gives them and the materials i use, but just a few shots of getting a mould box ready and moulding an object.
the Vaseline is used as a release agent between the two layers of rubber..........imperative if you want the two halves to separate and far cheaper than spray on release agent.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:50 pm »

I had, when I said earlier that I had finished the build other than painting the boat, it wasn't quite true...

big blunder...i had forgotten to glue the outboards back together and fit them temporarily to the brackets on the transom........anyway that has been corrected but I've found that one outboard doesn't line up with the other in the vertical plain, and so, as it's even noticeable to my eye, it'll stand out like a sore thumb to others, and so am going to remove the bracket and trim it so that both outboards sit the same.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:42 pm »

slight adjustment to the base of the bracket to move the top out by 3/32" by using a tapered wedge of pasticard and both outboards now line up fine and dandy.

the joys of building in plasticard medium......so easy to correct my mistakes.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:36 pm »

managed to take a few shots of the finished building of the boat...............just before our sojourn to the Clyde today.......this is before I start painting it....quite pleased with it......just looking forward to getting some paint on it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »

been tidying and getting rid of rubbish in my workshop to make way for my new double build, I am having to get the spraying of my little lifeboat done in earnest and so have drafted in more heaters to get the place warm.......but the paint from Halfords rattle cans seems to be going on ok with no orange peeling......leave it for a couple of hours and then spray the hull, before masking it off for the grey.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »

Looking good Neil  :-))  I used that colour orange on my last build.  I found it took loads of coats to get the true colour but once done it looks great.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 04:43:42 pm »

Looking good Neil  :-))  I used that colour orange on my last build.  I found it took loads of coats to get the true colour but once done it looks great.

can's nearly empty but almost there now mark...............given it a couple more coats since those shots were taken.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2018, 09:32:04 pm »

the boat orange has gone on ok, and now is masked up ready for the grey to go onto the sponsons, after I put one last light spray of orang onto the meeting of the hull and the masking tape to seal any under cut or seepage of paint under the tape.
the orange ovals on the sponsons have been masked off to allow the sponsons to be painted grey.........once painted, the masking tape will be removed to reveal the orange on which the lettering and number will be put on........well, that's the theory.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2018, 03:37:33 pm »

forgot to take photos of the grey primer to colour the main sponsons that were left showing after the orange coat, and then masked up the whole of the sponsons just leaving the belting and overlay jointing materials used to stick the buoyancy tubes together....these were left unmasked, and then sprayed satin black..........I'll give them another coat once dry after the grand prix and then let dry before removing all the masking tape to reveal the mess underneath  %% {:-{

once the masking tape has been removed I'll paint by hand the fittings fixed to the sponsons.....some photos show them black, others darker grey than the main colour

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »

I took the masking tape off this evening and sadly there has been a little seepage of the black, simply because I forgot to overspray with grey first to block any under the masking tape,and also, more annoying the masking tape lifted some of the orange on the band that takes the boat number, so am going to hand paint that area with a soft brush and some enamel Volkswagen brilliant orange that I bought some time ago, and apart from touching up here n there, it's not to bad.............not spectacular, but not to bad just the same.

Stavros

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2018, 08:54:10 pm »

Neil you should have bought a roll of 3M fine line masking tape spraying another colour before the final colour is a load of pants.
I keep banging on about using 3M fine line and it goes on deaf ears

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2018, 09:19:42 pm »

Neil you should have bought a roll of 3M fine line masking tape spraying another colour before the final colour is a load of pants.
I keep banging on about using 3M fine line and it goes on deaf ears
Dave

I shall take your advice in future dave, but where do I buy it from.

Stavros

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2018, 09:34:53 pm »

Ebay just type in 3M fine line tape

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2018, 10:17:09 pm »

cheers mate.............is it better than duck low tac tape.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36:36 pm »

So Neil says....."is it better than duck low tac tape"........does he speak from experience?

Maybe that's what our disgraced OZ Cricket Team should have used  >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2018, 11:03:07 pm »

So Neil says....."is it better than duck low tac tape"........does he speak from experience?
Derek

sssssshhhhhhhh!!! don't tell Peter Fitness........he might not have heard yet..... {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2018, 11:07:29 pm »

Derek

anyway...........I don't see what all the fuss is about............how d'ya think the Yanks kept hold of the "America'sCup" for so many years, changing the rules every time the poms won a race, until the ozzies won it off them after a 130 years or so...........they were better cheats than the yanks were, lol......all in favour of it, {-) {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2018, 11:21:57 pm »

I should rectify that question for Stavros............its not duck tape.................it's frog tape.......usually never have any problem with it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2018, 12:49:17 am »

been a while since I posted on this thread, as I had almost completed the model, but just a few fiddly bits and pieces to do, including fitting a servo and links to the dummy outboards which are usually used to steer the boat.

the other day I was sat on my backside with my leg hurting, feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't get out to the garage to continue my build of the two Shannon's and so decided to resurrect the Atlantic 21and complete it with a view to sell it as a completed boat. after all if a wreck which it was can fetch £217 quid on ebay, and a total mongrel of a 21 hull can fetch nearly £120 quid on its own a few weeks ago, I'm sure a decent restoration will sel.

and so, from the warmth of my rear lounge I set too, a few days ago and virtually finished it off. it now just needs me to cast a couple of navigation lamps as they are missing, and paint the name boards and name the boat and label it with the usual...….she will become B-525 SPIX'S MACAW, Blackpool's first 21, and she was a relief boat, to see if a 21 was suitable for Blackpool's use.

I doubt whether I will ever use her as Fleetwood lake needs a summer like this years to get a decent flat lake, and so, once finished later this coming week I shall decide what to do with her.

but it has been a lovely experience rescuing a piece of basic scrap, with parts missing and using modellers licence to get over some of the big problems a bit of junk posed to get it back to reasonable finish, and I have enjoyed it., and it's one more very rare Duplex/Lesro Atlantic 21 that has cheated the refuge truck.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:31 am »

That 21's looking REALLY good, super work there.  :-))

I wish mine looked that good, but it's never had any paint on it so far, despite being 'built' 15 yrs ago! I better get on with it, or its mate which is still in the box..............  ok2
Regards
Kit

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2018, 02:43:32 pm »

thanks kits, much appreciated comments.

cheers,

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2018, 02:46:31 pm »

Steering wheel looks the part Neil  :-)) :o
The rest ain't bad either :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2018, 12:54:01 am »

Steering wheel looks the part Neil  :-)) :o
The rest ain't bad either :-))

Ned

{-) {-) O0 O0 cheers mate...…….it does too...…..here's the finished job complete with name and everything else to complete.

god knows where it got the name of a blue green parrot from though,  %% %%

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2018, 10:48:07 am »

Fantastic looking boat Neil  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.