Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LESRO ATLANTIC 21....full kit  (Read 34827 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LESRO ATLANTIC 21....full kit
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 01:48:31 am »

tell you what though, it's only been a week or so since I started this resurrection......because I couldn't sell it, and the more I look at it................I'm b*****y glad it didn't sell, as I am loving the build, the transformation from a box of junk.................and looking forward to sailing it at Blackpool.........and I'm going to keep it too......it really is [as my daughter called it the other night] CUTE, lol. :-)) ok2 :kiss:

mind you................never had one of my models called CUTE  before..............beginning to worry, lol {-) {-)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2018, 03:19:32 pm »

by gum, young man...........cute or not, that is beginning to look very nice indeed.......

What a transformation!

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 10:46:35 pm »

frames were jigged up and held by my "extra hands" clamps, placed on my portable brazing "hearth", cross members cut to length, and the torch  lit........got my silver solder and flux powder ready.......and happily soldered away.......prefer silver soldering to soft solder.......much greater strength in it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:00 pm »

the legs have been cut to length now and the support  legs to the front uprights have also been silver soldered in place, and deck drilled to take the uprights........now on to the airbag  platform. this will be fabricated in plasticard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 01:00:33 am »

I do my most innovative work, after a good strong beer...........not the neatest, I grant you, but a little filler and some abrasive paper always sorts that out, lol..........the airbag platform has been fabricated, and needs cleaning up....the airbag itself will be fabricated from milliput.
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
the nav light boxes have also been added to the platform

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 06:50:59 pm »

I do my most innovative work, after a good strong beer...........not the neatest, I grant you, but a little filler and some abrasive paper always sorts that out, lol..........the airbag platform has been fabricated, and needs cleaning up....the airbag itself will be fabricated from milliput.
the nav light boxes have also been added to the platform

but even better, is work done first thing in the morning when one can concentrate and think clearly after a good night sleep.....the mast and "roll bar" has been fabricated and the air bag have been added, the air bag has been moulded from white milliput and "creased" to simulate folds and ripples in the bag. it should be removable from the plastic plate underneath, and then I will ream out some of the cured milliput to lighten it up a little.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 10:45:06 pm »

Just tidying up little missing bits now before I take it into the spray booth, and made the radar defector tonight, but I am still a small fitting missing from the kit.........the steering wheel...........I need a 3 spoke wheel around 20mm  diameter........looked on line but can't find one anywhere.

and then, I have a problem with preference.......because of the extra weight on the stern because I used brass and milliput for the roll over bars and the air bag I would like to put the batteries further forward than aft or on the sides of the prop shaft...........but if I were to do so, I would need to shorten the prop tube and shaft.........that's no problem, but just wondering..........I really need to get it in the test tank, but then I would need to seal the broken skeg and hole in it before hand..............what are the consensus of opinion please.

also, instead of running it on the 585 that was supplied I want to run on a brushless.........but not having a clue, can anyone suggest what set up I would need, motor esc, batteries etc. thanks.

of the two pics of the prop shaft/tube......which position should I use..........what preferences are there. thanks

neil.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:40 pm »

Can't suggest a motor as I am still thinking about that one myself but for the battery I was going to go with what is suggested in the instructions and have a split pack with three batteries on each side of the boat. NiMh I think would be better than lipo's as taking them out for charging might be a bit of a pain.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-2v-3700mah-sc-nimh-split-battery-pack.html

Richie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 11:42:56 pm »

Can't suggest a motor as I am still thinking about that one myself but for the battery I was going to go with what is suggested in the instructions and have a split pack with three batteries on each side of the boat. NiMh I think would be better than lipo's as taking them out for charging might be a bit of a pain.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-2v-3700mah-sc-nimh-split-battery-pack.html

Richie

thanks Richie.........would nimh's power a brushless motor ok..........a small brushless is what I am thinking, as I am not into flying machines that I can't handle...........I'm used to the old steady sedate 8 knot classic lifeboats, lol.

thanks for your info and help.

neil.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 02:02:08 am »

G'day Neil,

I'm a long way away in Aus, but I do a range of handwheels in my range of stuff from 1/8" diam to 20mm x 4 spoke in flat pattern in utrethane, but also have a 19mm 3 spoke Depressed centre wheel in whitemetal. I'll get an image or two up later. I  also do some nice brass wheels, but due to a lack of demand, don't have stock at present.
Postage would be more than the wheel cost, unfortunately!

If you want to check out my wheels at www.ianlindsaymodels.com  and go to Miscellaneous page.

I also do a heap of larger scale model boat stuff, but it's not listed anywhere, more's the pity.

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2018, 02:39:32 am »

Below are an image of the 19mm x 3 spoke Depressed centre wheel in whitemetal, and also the 20mm x 4 spoke flat wheel which are supplied in urethane.

Also image of the brass depressed centre wheels, with the 19mm x 3 spoke on the left.

Ian

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2018, 10:52:39 am »

Below are an image of the 19mm x 3 spoke Depressed centre wheel in whitemetal, and also the 20mm x 4 spoke flat wheel which are supplied in urethane.

Also image of the brass depressed centre wheels, with the 19mm x 3 spoke on the left.

Ian

Ian......that top 3 spoked wheel at 19mm is EXACTLY what I want......could you please give me a price including postage to here in the uk, and can I pay you via paypal.........if so, could you pm me your details and i'll send my address.

thanks. neil.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:17 am »

G'day Neil,

That's the only one I can find at the moment, but can always spin some more. Since I stopped supplying a lot of model boat stuff to Canada years ago, it all sort of fell flat!

I'll check out the post tomorrow and get back to you with a price.

Ian.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2018, 11:31:08 am »

Hi Neil,
I have an identical wheel in plastic that
you can have foc.
PM me your addy an I'll pop it in the post.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:59 pm »

Hi Neil,
I have an identical wheel in plastic that
you can have foc.
PM me your addy an I'll pop it in the post

Ned

thank you ned, i'll take it please if that is ok, and thank you very very much for your kind offer ian, from the other side of the world, but I think it will be easier and quicker from ned.

again thank you both, and I'll send you my address now ned.

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 12:57:43 pm »

pm sent ned. thank you both.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:39 pm »

Popped in the post  :-))

Ned

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 04:16:01 pm »

Popped in the post  :-)) 
Ned

thank you very much Ned, you are a star.

Neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »

Now commeth the time to start thinking of fitting the innards .....one of my problems is the weight of the aft roll bars and air bag and so I am going to put my batteries as far forward as possible to counter the weight back stern. as such, I needed to
re position the motor aft somewhat. to do this I had to shorten the prop shaft and tube.
I finally found my vice under more stored junk and got to work, shortening by about 100mm. instead of re tapping the shaft, I filed a flat onto it.......not as though I don't have any spare couplings.
Then it was time to take out the shaft support from the original position.........luckily it had been glued in , in the same way as the original kit had been built..4 spots of glue one in each corner, and not plastic glue either, lol.....it pinged off
easily, and positioning the shaft/tube with propeller fitted so that it doesn't hit the underside of the boat  was easy enough using the shaft support temporarily I used 2 part epoxy to glue. once it has set and cured I will surround it with some milliput to make secure and seal in position. some might question my wisdom at shortening the shaft because of ingress of water in a short shaft/tube, but the proof is in the "pudding" in that all my classic lifeboats have short tubes and exposed shafts f very similar to what I have just fitted, and with a mixture of Vaseline and carbon powder mixed in, I have never had any leaks through my short tubes ever.
and finally I bought these nihm batteries to power my Flying Christine ambulance launch a few years ago and never really sailed the boat,  and so I am now charging them as they haven't been used in yonks, separate them as they are wired in parallel and then see if one fits in the bow to power a small brushless.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »

well, it was exactly two weeks ago today [this lunchtime to be precise] that I started to resurrect this box of bits, and I thought that I would have to fabricate a lot more than I have done, and contrary to what I said about wishing I hadn't done, I have actually really enjoyed it very much. the prop tube has now been set in milliput and the tube support has been added, and so should be no vibration from the brushless motor revving its nuts off......

I have put it on the radiator to set it off a little quicker, and hopefully tonight I can put it in the bath.......errr I mean test tank with the roll bar on, and control/seating centre to see about weight distribution

Fonts fixed

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2018, 12:33:52 pm »

How much it might have taken me to draw n time and then take along to the 3Dprint shop, god only knows, but my little servo retaining box for the steering links, took me 35minutes and some scraps of 2.5mm plasticard to make and fit into the stern over prop tube.....
it was glued in place using both plastic weld and silicon [in different places I might add, and access to it is easy for removal of the main deck if needed. silicon added to glue to the prop shaft

And the supports underneath raise it to the correct level for linking up to the steering rods from the outboards.The slot in the front is for the lead to the receiver.
Good access to the servo from the seat access hole.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »

Ned,

your wheel arrived this afternoon in the post, safe and sound and absolutely perfect for what I want.....many thanks again mate.

neil.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:05 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))
Forgot the indicator stalk :D :D

Ned

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2018, 05:52:08 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))
Forgot the indicator stalk :D :D

Ned

%% %% %% {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
you old wag..............but it got me thinking for a mo.............did you rob it from a ford mustang model then, lol..........its just the job mate.thanks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »

remember the mould boxes for outboard motors...............well the first half of each mould was laid a little while ago..........., so should be ready this afternoon for the second half of each to be set into the boxes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.