Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handrail Stanchions  (Read 1695 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Handrail Stanchions
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »

for the last few days I have been making handrail stanchions at 1/12 scale for my model. I thought I would give you a description of the process on my small Unimat lathe.
Firstly we bore the 4mm hole for the handrail through the material, this is bored central using another section of the rod, with a carefully centred hole, this in the pillar drill enables the hole to be accurately drilled in the centre of the rod.
The rod is then chucked into the lathe, the end squared off, The diameter is turned down to 9mm over a length and then using a lathe tool shaped for a quadrant radius, the top end is rounded off.
Using the next tool bit shaped to create the remaining quadrant, neck and shoulder the ball is finished off.
After this a parting tool makes the rest of the shoulder and turns the next section down to 4mm diameter, for a length of about 12mm, and its then parted off.
Now the workpiece is removed from the lathe and the handrail support re-chucked with the 4mm section sticking out ready to be threaded.
On my lathe threading is accomplished with some change gears and a hand crank, so the lathe has to be reconfigured to achieve this.
the threading is set up for a standard 4mm x 0.7mm pitch, unfortunately its not possible to thread right to the shoulder on the lathe, so once the thread is formed it is threaded into a 4mm die to clean up and thread closer to the shoulder.
All that remains is to thread a nut onto the thread and the handrail stanchion is finished.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Handrail Stanchions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:02:15 pm »

Lovely work, I used to have a Unimat many years ago, sadly with them being so small it was stolen along with all my other power tools when my garage was broken into one night.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Handrail Stanchions
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »

I have had mine from new since the 1970's probably used it more in the last 2 years than I ever did before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.