Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don Brown and his superb CMB at Windermere  (Read 2186 times)

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
Don Brown and his superb CMB at Windermere
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:12 pm »

I  knew Don Brown well from our active participation in the Naviga events of the 1970s and as members of the British team .  Don was a consummate model maker  , in fact one of the best collecting  many awards both nationally and Internationally. Don and his brother Derek  where keen supporters of the Windermere steam Boat Weekend  and the images here show  Don with the assistance of Steve Kirby  launching his model of a CMB for and evening sail on lake Windermere.  Note the blazer  and tie a regular   attire  for  the  evening  event as the Museum always  hosted a truly magnificent  get together for food and a wee dram or two by the edge  by the lake side.  That weekend in May was always convivial  , relaxed and very well attended.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Don Brown and his superb CMB at Windermere
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

Really nice to see those photos Dave. Don joined our Berrylands Club in Surbiton in the early 70s and we became good friends. He introduced his cousin Derek who then took up model boating very successfully. We used to hire the local Lido, Surbiton Lagoon, now sadly filled in, and pioneered many scale course innovations - I still have some of the bits in my garage! Halcyon days indeed!

Don was up there with the very best marine modellers such as Brian King etc. His HMS Ashanti had a moulded gummed paper strip hull which weighed almost nothing.

I last saw him around 2004 at the Midhurst Modellers Exhibition in Sussex where he had his partially completed Fishery Cruiser Brenda on display - I was building the same ship myself. Sadly by that time his advancing Parkinsons had put an end to his meticulous workmanship but he was still persevering with modelmaking. By then he had stopped responding to Christmas cards and I think he had moved address so we lost touch. I do wonder what happened to his models. I think he sold some at Christies.

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:52:25 pm »

Hi Colin   Yes  couldn't  agree more  Don Brown's skill as a model maker was one of the very best , equal  to Brian King's  and   these where working models   that sailed beautifully  and  to top it all he was  a  real  gentleman . I'm not sure as to whether  he's still around ,as you say his illness took its toll on his model making . The last time I saw Don was back in  04 at  one of the last events at Windermere .
Bowwave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:37:26 pm »

Damned medical conditions  >>:-( That is a beautiful model of a beautiful vessel.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.