Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supporting valued suppliers...  (Read 2444 times)

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
Supporting valued suppliers...
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:09:21 pm »

Just a thought...

I have watched the recent thread where a well respected supplier has been vilified because certain individuals cannot afford them the opportunity, and time, to respond when frustrations occur. I wrote the following this morning because I felt compelled to do so as, through having worked hard running a small business in the past, I understand how utterly demoralizing such unfounded criticism can be. Fortunately those days, for me, are gone.

"Whilst I can empathise completely with the frustrations of the original poster, when something doesn’t work as expected, I do think that it would be more appropriate if the Component Shop were given time to respond to the issue raised before those frustrations were aired on an open forum. It’s a shame to see a company, particularly one who offer such a wide range of well respected products, being vilified without being given the opportunity, and time, to respond appropriately themselves. I’m confident that the fact that Iain wasn’t able to respond immediately, on the first day back at work following the festive break, isn’t due to a lack of interest in customer service but more a reflection on the pressures of running a small business nowadays….

If I was new to this hobby, researching electronics for the first time and stumbling across this thread, I would probably question whether to use ACTion products and I don’t think that would be fair.

Personally, in my limited dealings with Component Shop, I have always found Iain extremely knowledgable and helpful."

I did not post the above at the time because I have a policy of avoiding posting when I'm particularly irritated by threads. I've always felt it better to put my feelings down, take time to reflect upon them and then, when the heated emotions have subsided, add my thoughts...  I wasn't able to do this as the original thread has been locked.

The reason I feel compelled to do so now is primarily in the hope that Martin might take the opportunity of removing the original thread completely in order that such unfounded criticism doesn't remain on the forum and misguide newcomers to the hobby.

There, I'm feeling better already  :-))

A very Happy New Year to you all  :-)

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Supporting valued suppliers...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:35 am »

Hi Mark, In your support, I to call on Martin to remove the thread, Iain is a 1 man band and his reply to the complaints is clear, HE HAD CHRISTMAS OFF. Most of us did.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:57 am »

Cant agree more......

Dave

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:09:09 pm »

agree too iain is an excellent supplier who travels thousands of miles a year and organises shows for us. having christmas off is the least he deserves

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:18:19 pm »

Having now found the thread (107 Board) I would suggest that as there is a technical issue it has some merit in being retained

That said, I would also like to put my deep appreciation for Component shop on record as one of the leading suppliers for our hobby - anywhere.  The project in question is an ambitious one for a beginner to the subject (I seem to remember putting him right on the fundamental implications of halving the power supply voltage some time ago) and much patience is required to achieve a successful result.  It is all to easy online to fire off things that are wrong or hurtful when a bit of reflection and pause for seeing what else is relevant avoids going too far - one reason my post count is relatively low! 

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:15:10 pm »

I totally agree ,you only need  to see the masses of people around the comp shop stand at shows to know how popular they are ,good stuff at the right price .lets just put it to bed now
Dave  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:34:06 pm »

Well said Mark . . .

I always buy my modelling stuff from what might be termed 'UK Cottage Industries', and I source all my electrical and electronic requirements from the Component Shop, and have found both the service and the products supplied to be uniformly excellent.

A happy New Year to all on the Forum, (where did 2017 go?).

Cheers,

Mike

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:22:36 pm »

Whilst I agree with the content of the original post about CS being given time to deal with it themselves... does this really warrant an entire new thread?

inertia

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:40 pm »

Whilst I agree with the content of the original post about CS being given time to deal with it themselves... does this really warrant an entire new thread?
It seems that "Vintage" Mark thought so. That's the whole purpose of a forum - anyone can contribute.
It's not compulsory reading, you know.
DM

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:00:41 pm »

It seems that "Vintage" Mark thought so. That's the whole purpose of a forum - anyone can contribute.
It's not compulsory reading, you know.
DM

totally agree but it seems some contributions are more valued than others these days........shall say no more........ ;D

inertia

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:20 pm »

totally agree but it seems some contributions are more valued than others these days........shall say no more........ ;D
That's the order of things, Neil. Some contributions are more valuable than others - for all sorts of different reasons, too.
DM

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »

Thanks Guys - it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in having concerns about the negativity of the original thread...

Absolutely not - my thoughts and concerns, particularly those advocating the removal of the original thread so that any future searches didn't result in giving an unfavorable portrayal of the company involved, could easily have been added to the original thread.

Unfortunately that option wasn't available as the thread had already been locked.

I have a real empathy for the target of the original thread, it is utterly demoralizing when you put in such a huge degree of effort and it's not even about expectations of being appreciated, it's just about people having the respect to give you the opportunity of addressing their issues before telling the world about it...

Thanks again  :-))

Mark

Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 08:43:34 pm »

Unfortunately that option wasn't available as the thread had already been locked.

My point exactly.

The thread was locked, for a reason. The last thing admins need, trust me on this, is people going outside of that thread and continuing a discussion that they are trying to stop. Especially when it is essentially repeating what numerous others said in the original thread.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:54:08 pm »

A staff member at a very good Pub in West Sussex said much the same on Boxing day (when we were talking about meat) As Vintage said. She said it was a shame that rarely do customers bring a deficiency in their meal to the pub staff's attention, where they are more than happy to rectify the issue. Rather they go review sites and "xxxxx" the business off and dent an otherwise excellent reputation.

When a business is serially poor, in correspondence, product or turn around then it becomes an issue for the hobby as a whole and is worth debating, as a means of finding alternate sources of similar products, or alerting fellow hobbyists of payment/fund issues.

King Alfred brought in a law years back. To paraphrase: 'If you have a beef with your neighbour, you must wait five days before confronting them about the issue as then tempers will have abated'.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:31 am »

Mayhem is an international online model boat club, agreed, made up of members from all walks of life, backgrounds, experiences, levels of skill, abilities, means of life,  obligations, desires, life choices, levels of angst, medical circumstances, etc, etc, etc. ..... why would anyone expect any two people on the planet to have the same point of view about anything?! But in actual fact we often do, for exactly the same reason as above, plus morals, empathy,  passion, pathos etc, etc......  not sure where I'm going with this  ...... but here on Mayhem, we gotten into unwinnable arguments  over & over & over again. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view (you've probably 'earned it!'), and Mayhem is a place where you can 'vent their spleen' and that's allowed ( to a certain extent ) but why should anyone leave a 'doggy doo' of a post on this Forum that someone else is obliged to intercede / moderate / clean up / deal with the aftermath  afterwards?! I'm not here to do that, nor are the moderators. Come on lads, we hate having to "have a quiet word with" members but after a while we just get fed up and you'll just get your posts removed and/or banned. How does that help anyone?! No one comes out the winner nor  happy nor satisfied. Have your say in a 'constructive way' as humanly possible.

Rule 1: Use your Local supplier or loose them.
Rule 1: Don't post in anger.
Rule 1: No incendiary posts.
Rule 1: No 'retaliatory' posts.
Rule 1: Mayhem has no legal powers to set the world to rights.
Rule 1: Have your say and leave it at that.
Rule 1: Don't deliberately wind up other Mayhemers.
Rule 1: Yours is not only the opinion that counts.
Rule 1: Just because it 'gets your goat', my goat my be perfectly contented!
Rule 1:  Don't drink & post!

See:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14816.msg143803.html#msg143803
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20567.msg199464.html#msg199464
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40654.msg407722.html#msg407722
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30703.msg303215.html#msg303215
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41467.msg420038.html#msg420038

Back to talking / building model boats chaps & Ladies.   :-))

Admin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.