Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland (Inverness / Dingwall) Area Model Group  (Read 6692 times)

RST

Re: Highland (Inverness / Dingwall) Area Model Group
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 04:40:54 pm »

There is a few other ponds/lochs in the area and I have my eye on ones to the west but they are a wee bit of a hike to get to.

Share any ideas I guess but close parking is better.  I haven't seen the pond in Nairn for ages now, not sure if it's just for kids paddling and no doubt chained off now anyway. Theres also that small park with the pool near the Glen Mhor hotel, forget the name -is that chained off? I never actually went to investigate yet -something always came up.

redpiperbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 04:09:36 pm »

O went to the pond too many kids throwing stuff in then it started to spit rain so went up to the college that looks to be a good spot.
Bob

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »

I think you mean the wee pond in Bellfield Park - last time I checked it was drained - Craig Dunain Duck Pond ? - There is a few ponds to the west but a bit of a hike.

There is one up a Daviot near the new houses but far enough away to avoid brats

RST

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:37 pm »

Bellfield Park yes, sorry the name escaped me.  I read also yesterday the Nairn pool has gone -turned into a paved "splash" play area. Drat!

I've not been very organised last few days. I think I'm night have not long missed you Bob. There were just 2 kids there but they stopped throwing the stones straight away.  I timed it for after the shoolkids coming home.  To be honest it was my first sail there and the first time my speed line HFM Pilot boat has hit the water so I expected a disaster.  Went fine but the motor gets a bit too warm. One 3.8ah Ni-Mh battery and some of a 3ah battery kept me going for an hour so quite pleased.  It's a good boat.

It's easier to wear wellies and launch from the bank. The wooden staging is a bit high.

It's a bit small but clear enough of weed so far.  Don't know how deep it is but deep enough the fly tipped tyres and something blue in the middle are well enough down not to cause trouble.  Might catch then with a yacht keel.

The college pond is great for waterside access but a bit of a hike from the car park.  I've never worked out whether it's allowed to park next to the pond or not. Some folk seem to do it but I've not attracted any unnecessary attention and just walked there.

redpiperbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 06:34:24 am »

if the weather is good on Saturday I will be going to Loch Ceo Glais for a sail. I will be taking an Aerokits Sea queen I built 15 years ago  but it has yet to see the water. I will be going up at about 1 o clock if anyone wants to join me.
Bob

RST

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 07:27:40 pm »

Out of interest is that the RSPB reserve or is that the bigger loch near by? I must have passed it dozens of times going to the Gorthleck water plant a few years ago.

I'm having to take a step back. At least 2 almost finished models weirdly decided to come apart.  Found the prints on my PEBA mooring tug kit I finished are too distorted to keep water out. I was trying to get my Sangsetia finished as that will handle open water at almost 4' long unlike the smaller models but's like a step backwards 4 or 5 months!

redpiperbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 07:37:07 pm »

Hi Richard
 it is the one on the B862 at the far end of  Loch Duntelchaig 57.3327518,-4.326776,14.5
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.3309728,-4.3294042,14.5z
As I say if the weather is OK I will be there at about 1 0 clock.
I just looked up  Sangsetia
 that looks a nice model.
My Billings Smit Rotterdam arrived today so I know what I am building next winter.
All the best
Bob

redpiperbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 07:27:20 am »

Hi All
something has come up. I will not be at the loch  today (Saturday) as I previously said.
bob

RST

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2021, 08:17:17 pm »

No worries, I've been tearing my hair out with my printer the last couple of days trying to make the most of being home.  Found out it has the same "auto level" problem as the last one. 3 days wasted.  Once I did manual level it was fine and off again.  I got to the Culloden SUDS  pond again this morning, first dip of the PEBA mooring tug this time which needs a tiny bit of ballast on stbd side to correct an alarming heel sometimes.  No evidence of any wheel balancing weights after in Halfords today, maybe they have them in the sports and model shop as have seen them somewhere.   The SUDS pond is great for small models, but with snow on the mountains behind and just a small breeze despite the sun my hands were freezing so finished after 40mins. Back on trying to sort my flat out as with so much time away from home since 2018 it looks like the tinks have squatted!  Some-way through it now.

...I'm doing reasonably well with models. My MV Raasay is just about ready save for calmac decals. Test dipped in bath this afternoon, simplified electrics worked fine, it's noisy as hec without any vibration but my drivelune is appawling. Just have to figure out how to seal the bow ramp before a proper sailing otherwise the deck will flood.

Rich

RST

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2021, 09:57:03 pm »

Also: didn't go near town to try bellefield park again. Drove through high street yesterday and it was packed -tourists everywhere, the caravan park up top of Culloden looked full also so just stayed close to home rather than venturing out!

RST

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2021, 05:11:15 pm »

Don't know if you saw the pond this morning Bob but it was flooded.  Someone with a high-viz was at the outlet sluice. I got a pic of what it was like but I've been busy carpet cleaning today. By the time I got there this afternoon it was back to normal.  Went for a quick recce and the gent from the council with high-vis was back tapping at the sluice handle.  I suspected as much: Said someone had maliciously closed the sluice yesterday. Probably kids. No surprise really, the handwheel wasn't padlocked off -he was trying to take the wheel off but it was stuck fast.  I'd have offered him my pullers but they're in my works toolkit in my mother's garage in Falkirk. As he said though. First time it had been full and it didn't leak!

redpiperbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 05:18:11 pm »

Hi Richard no I have not seen the pond since I was up last week.I was thinking of going oout to loch Ceo Glais on Thursday (most people will be too busy with the election) at about lunchtime if you want to meet up.
I have PM'ed you
Bob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.