Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4  (Read 17941 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:41 pm »

Anybody see the first episode ?   Second one`s trailer looks like fun when they try to balance a heavy G gauge steam locomotive on a tug or offshore work boat with predictable result. A train ferry or even a barge pulled by the tug would have been more logical    A wooden bridge made to span the width of a canal lock collapses etc etc. Another  four episodes to entertain us or have us tear our hair out at the weekends. Expect the usual "southern"  Scottish cliches , rain , midges, Nessie,kilts and so on. Volunteers were a mixed bunch too. 70 miles of track laying, pieces re-used.  I wonder if we couldn't interest Channel 4 in doing a boat version, coast to coast not just Loch Ness.
..well can you land on this?

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model railway Ft Wlliam to Inverness channel 4
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:32:49 pm »

First bend it tipped over and fell off!!

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »

First bend it tipped over and fell off!!

and nothing ever goes wrong with model boats. {-)  {-) {-) {-) {-)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »

and nothing ever goes wrong with model boats. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
  Better ask Neil that  %)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:05:29 pm »

It is the second episode tonight , Ch 4 9 pm,  A bit of train ferry model boating according to trailer.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:15:19 pm »

HELP, its on Now ...8PM till 9PM

T33cno

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »

The producers are a bit overboard with ... everything but it is Channel 4!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

T33cno

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 10:14:59 pm »

I like Richard and really enjoy his other endeavours and resourcefulness  :-))
Careful not to say Dick  {-)

http://chateaudelamottehusson.com/dick-angel/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:11 pm »

Better ask Neil that  %)

if you are referring to me arrow5 re; things going wrong..........never a build that something doesn't go wrong %% mate.............but at least I admit my mistakes and failures, as I like to think that my mistakes, which I can also rectify, are an aid to others getting it right ............it's when one tries to cover up their mistakes with bovine excreta and a touch of arrogance that no one benefits, and the builder is seen right through, by others, %% lol...............in fact, mate..............I'm proud of my mistakes...........always makes me a better modeller in the long run...............now, on to my next blunder, or two. {-) {-) {-)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 01:09:01 am »

As opposed to modelling.
One of our TV channels played the trip on the 'Ghan' from Adelaide to Darwin yesterday.
All 17 hours of it!
I only watched a few minutes before realising how boring the Australian countryside is.
I suppose it will be the Indian Pacific next. Sydney to Perth.  All 3 days of it

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 03:00:02 am »

mmmmmmmmm....I also watched the Driver sitting in the Left Hand seat  >>:-(.........I closed out after 5 minutes ....so speech...no dialogue......nothing
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 07:30:38 am »

I agree with everything you say Neil, it was just the Loch Ness connection .  No offense intended.   :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 07:38:12 am »

Brian and Derek, we had a similar two hour no dialogue image of two Sami girls leading their sledges pulled by reindeer across Lapland. {:-{  BBC of course.

VANYA

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 09:48:29 am »

Do these programmes play overseas or do you need to have a UK IP address to recognise the content? lots of good stuff about weather and storms, beside the railway.

Not working my end when I push the play button.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:12 am »

Do these programmes play overseas or do you need to have a UK IP address to recognise the content? lots of good stuff about weather and storms, beside the railway.

Not working my end when I push the play button.

I'm afraid that you will need a UK IP address to receive BBC Iplayer, ITV player, channel4 player etc., or whatever they call it. Pain in the buttocks of course, but there you are.

LB

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 11:07:04 am »

What a load of amateurs. Is it a comedy show?  Everything seems to go wrong and they got through four quadbikes in two shows.

inertia

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 11:23:26 am »

What a load of amateurs. Is it a comedy show?  Everything seems to go wrong and they got through four quadbikes in two shows.
Ah, but if everything had gone smoothly then we wouldn't be talking about it here. A bit like those awful "talent" shows that depend on ritual humiliation, people tune in to see things go wrong and that buys advertising in the commercial breaks.
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 11:40:22 am »

Hi all, I watched the first episode and gave up after that, they did not seem to know what was wanted or indeed what to do!  It is all very well putting people into teams but there were a lot of people that wanted to do their own thing.  A bit of pre-hands on practical and general direction was needed.  Not that impressed with the management of the operation.  I watched the boat sink in a pre-clip and decided I had seen enough.
I went back to my shed and will stick to 'OO' gauge railway.  And boats and yachts of course!
Regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »

Watched the first two episodes - really have to question the aims of the program.  It does seem to be another vehicle for an over excitable presenter.
As to the maritime effort - it would be interesting to know just what the failure was.  Losing radio contact over a range of less than a couple of hundred yards with what looked to be 27 or 40 Mhz gear just should not happen.  Unless the receiver had its own battery which had been forgotten.  Or the filming vastly over-ran and the boats main battery didn't have enough life.  But either way, the boat was vastly overloaded with a heavy load pushing the CoG too high and probably too far back.  Add to that, nobody seemed to have lashed the load down, and whoever designed the recovery cradle forgot that wood floats. 
I am left wondering what would have happened to their unballasted wooden viaduct over the ford if it had rained up the valley.  Since nothing appeared in the trailer, they likely got away with it.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:58:58 pm »

We will probably see the viaduct float away next week.

inertia

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 06:42:06 pm »

I reckon that's five of us will be watching next week. The producers will be rubbing their hands together happily.
To extend the subject a little, why do you suppose it is that the storylines of all the old soaps have become so harrowing, unpleasant etc? It's because so-called ordinary life is generally so dull that if it were depicted on the screen then few people would watch it. You just KNOW that the Christmas 'Eastenders' will have a murder or a suicide or something equally as improbable in it. That's actually a bad example because the Beeb doesn't have commercial adverts but it still chases the TV ratings, and the commercial TV soaps will be in competition to see which one can suck in the most mugs viewers.
In this case I'm guessing that the conclusions will be that a group of such disparate and inept individuals can be turned into an efficient team, given the task and the time constraints. Don't forget we've only seen the clueless half - there's four programmes in total.
I also imagine that the young Tom Cruise lookalike with the Fred Dibnah accent will be the next TV superstar/celebrity (God help us...)!
DM

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 06:58:21 pm »

I agree with everything you say Neil, it was just the Loch Ness connection .  No offense intended.   :-))

I doubt that there would be arrow5.

he's calm and placid these days,

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

RST

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »

I'm kind of at a loss what to make of the programme to be honest.

I first heard of it perhaps this time last year on a couple of model rail forums.  I costed out the length of "O" gauge track alone and couldn't make the maths add-up for a complete length in one go.  Since then as I live in Inverness I thought there would have been some local "drumming up of enthusiasm" but heard nothing.  They seemed to have done it all from afar and taken / invited allot of folk up to make the programme?

The lengthy pre-amble at the start of each show says "to do what the Victorians failed to do", but in this second episode they clear-enough  explained they didn't fail.  They got part way and a different railway company beat them to do it -so there would have presumably been not enough returns on the investment and work was scrapped.  That's different.

That said, I suppose it is supposed to make new folk think about trying the hobby -but I'm not sure whether to feel ashamed, embarrassed or angry.  It's a clear demonstration that not all engineers are modellers (not many engineers are very good when you take them away from their desk either!), not all modellers are engineers (obviously) and not everyone gets on when you throw them together in groups.

Some really blindingly obvious things for me from the first 15 mins of show 1:  Alarming how they can't keep the locomotive on the track -but they haven't laid any obvious foundations, in some cases it looks like there's little attempt to even get the track flat.

In episode 2 some poor beggar offered an old PSV model -with duct taped sponsons which looked pretty rough and undersized for the load, or what would obviously be the water conditions encountered.  Am afraid I thought this very poor of model ship modellers.  With the gaffer taped hull and the locomotive tie-wrapped to the deck, the fairly pathetic attempt at a launching cradle, I'm not surprised it sank.  That was a fail on so many strange reasons.

The truss bridge in episode one I guessed almost immediately would break at some point.  They made a big deal of trusses but failed at almost the fist point of demonstrating you need a bigger section to resist the biggest bending moment.  Duhh, that's why most of the real examples shown are arch shaped.  I thought the 60m viaduct in this episode was very good though -I suspect there was never really any danger of it being washed away though otherwise there would be no drama!!!  I expect they have been provided very limited materials and tools to create some form of a challenge and drama, but I haven't seen much common sense into using them so far.

Re presenters -well it's the scrapheap challenge gang though I doubt everyone participating would remember them.  Claire Barratt is quite good and I like here in her other programmes.  The big guy the "HSE Brat" keeps on bleeting to I can't remember but I admire his patience.  Dick "hoddit and bodgit" Strawbridge I'm afraid I can't stand in any of his shows.  He may not be as rough as he's made out but I doubt it and I think there's allot of others better than him.

.........Sorry, that's turned into an essay!  I imagine it makes "good viewing" for the masses but I think it's a pathetic showcase for modelling and most of the folk involved.  I don't like any of the voyeur rubbish that's on so I may be biased.  I can look past calamities like ditching quads -I kind of expected drama like that.  Half way through episode 2 and I've pretty much given up which is a shame as it's topical for me.  I'd say good luck to them but there's no real drama -they must have reached town otherwise there'd be no show!

Rich

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »

Dick Strawbridge ruined Scrapheap challenge when he took over as the presenter. Gerard
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.