Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4  (Read 17942 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2018, 11:58:09 am »

As far as irritating goes on TV, I have like most others an HD TV.  So now I can watch in more detail I see re-enactment history type programmes where the scenes are de-focussed to avoid seeing faces etc. or 'blurred Tv' as I think of it, it is bad enough to have to wear glasses and then to realise it was never in focus to start with.

Still I say to myself the world is run by 19 years olds now but closely supervised by the owners on their private islands.
We the oldies etc are now a major part of society and I would like to see programmes made by and for us, I suspect we already have it in You Tube.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 12:14:17 pm »

Only having seen the trailers for this programme and noting the general tone of the comments on here, only serve to confirm my initial impressions.
However on a lighter side, I have found on "YouTube" some mesmerising videos of train journeys shot from the drivers cab. Some of course are somewhat poor but others are superb especially these from a Norwegian driver:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5DAisHbe8   they also show some the differences between the various systems for instance, the dreadful state of long haul American trains and their counterparts in China and Europe.
If you have nothing better to do on a rotten winters day, trying to get off to sleep or just want something running in the background I can recommend them.

LB

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »

Probably made by the same idiots. Dickenson's Real Deal kept on about a collection of Hornby "O" gauge as "Hornby Dublo". Thank goodness that I'm old enough not to have to pay for this crap. Reminds me of the idiot on one of the "antique" shows who showed where you put the meths into the safety valve bush on a Bowman 234 live steam engine. I haven't seen him since but I hope he didn't burn anyone.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:10 pm »

The  maker of the little steam locomotive has a link to Channel 4 player.  I wonder if our overseas Mayhemers could see the first two episodes on this link ?  www.roundhouse-eng.com   There are a couple of snippets on Youtube, a minute or so only.
..well can you land on this?

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2018, 08:03:01 pm »

Oh 'eck! All these negative comments have got me doubting my sanity. I am enjoying the show. It's not after all a modelling show, it's a fun way of doing something which was never achieved at full scale, building a railway across Scotland. Lighten up gents and enjoy.  ;)

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »

I'm not watching it, but I highly suspect it's not seriously claiming to be a professional effort done by serious modellers, so I don't think they'd be claiming to do a perfect job of it.

That said, some of my team were involved with filming a documentary for Quest. They wanted to show the dropping of a wavebreaker block out in the Sound, which is a job we do on a daily basis. The drop was completely routine.

When the program aired, there was a huge story about how the seas were getting rough, there was a storm coming in and if we didn't drop the block on that attempt it would be game over.... All generated for the viewer's benefit.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »

.........and hence why I don't have a TV.

Gave up on that waste of electricity years ago - I get more entertainment from 'mistakes and mishaps' in my workshop!

RST

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 09:12:18 pm »

I'm afraid I can see similarities with what we are more often trained at work to do with presentations these days.  Always keep your audience on your toes, change the appearance regularly, no technical information for too long, more importantly at the start list explicitly what's coming up -during the content repeat yourself three times and at the end re-tell everything again.  That I have always been told (wince) is the "American format" because attention spans there are much shorter (sorry -just repeating what I'm told!).  It is a shame programmes are going this way though because the informative content reduces probably by 50%.  What gets me and particularly off-putting with TV these days though is they cannot apparently afford tripods for cameras any more, so constant scene cutting, shaky cameras and constant focusing in / out, or mis-focusing on something completely separate prevail!!!  That I find almost impossible to watch without following the content properly or just plain feeling ill!

I think though I'm being harsh on the programme, it's clearly not invented for folk already in the hobby -or those local to the area.  I guess it's not made for either kind of folk.

Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 11:54:17 pm »

Hi RST, When I was about 12 our form master said the art of teaching was "to tell 'em what your going to tell 'em, then you tell'em, then you tell'em what you told 'em"!  Never forgotten it.
That was over half a century ago, things do not change much.  In later life I also learned not tell 'em more than three things at a time.
After I 'retired' I had a 2 year spell as a Learning Support Assistant in an Infant school.  That was a very pleasant time, lots of happy memories.
regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 10:32:24 am »

Going back to the thread, I went to see our oldest club member yesterday afternoon, he is 99 in June. 
He asked if I had watched the programme and I said said "yes".
 "Don't know what they are doing doing, do they" he said.  And he has a Roundhouse loco similar to the one used.
 He also said he was not going to make any more locos (macular degeneration) but would have a small track display at our own exhibition in September.  Perhaps Dick might like to come and see us and learn?
regards Roy

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »

So far the little locomotive has been the star of the show, pity it didn't have a local livery for example Caledonian Railway etc.   Poor wee thing, it has been abused, dunked in the canal, flames , fell off the track dozens of time etc etc.  I see there is an American style wooden trestle  section to be shown soon.  The "gravity" gradient section could have been a rack section  In retrospect the warring full-size railway companies may have made an error by not continuing beyond Fort Augustus in view of the massive developments that took place shortly afterwards, thousands of acres planted by the new Forestry Commision and subsequently harvested, an industry that continues today. The massive hydro-electric schemes that were built plus aluminium smelters taking advantage of this power.  Today thousands of tourists that might like a smoother lochside trip to look for Nessie on a heritage steam train after their "Harry Potter" excursion from Ft.William to Mallaig. I will be watching till the last episode, it is/was a great epic, just wish it had been done with a bit more skill.  Model boaters have to do something similar. Been a long time since the  E.D.  boat crossed the English Channel O0

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

Well said Arrow5. So that's two of us enjoying the programme.  :-))
Les

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »

Hi re the channel crossing, one of our long gone club members had a hand in that, I think the radio side was run by a local Watford man who had a RC business, I think a Mr. Willshire?  May have the spelling wrong. 
Our club member also made a large model Lysander aircraft that was displayed in the Dome of Discovery in the South Bank exhibition in 1951 (Festival of Britain).
I did visit and still remember much of it.
regards Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 02:41:10 pm »

Knowing tv/ filming outfits ,
the probably had two or three
Locos along the track to keep
the continuity girl in a job
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57:02 pm »

They certainly appear to have had at least one other loco, it is to be used on the "Gravity" slope, not same weight or heavier rake of trucks :((  as they had shown in a clip of full-size operations of a gravity slope. I wonder if the other engine could have worked as a banking engine ie both pushing together ?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »

What would the producers know about Banking Engines?

Ned

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 03:02:38 pm »

Quite a lot I guess. Every bank has an ATM attached.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 03:28:07 pm »

:embarrassed:

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »

What would the producers know about Banking Engines?

Ned
     ...about same as  they know about loading a model boat.   I`m planning my next Springer, with rail-barge as we speak :D

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 05:04:15 pm »

I can't believe on a model boat forum that the biggest talking point is model trains - go figure! %% %%

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »

Hi Brian, did you see it in Spain ?    If not could you try the Roundhouse link to see if our Antipodean chums can view it on Youtube, just so they know what we are talking about.  They have been quiet after the burst on "where in the world".  BTW there was a model boat involved. O0 {-)  www.roundhouse-eng.com

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 05:37:32 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2rft_F_96E

dunno if that is it or not, it says doncaster. All the rest are american videos. Your link above does work here in Spain so I can't see why the convict offspring can't view it.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »

:-)) Thanks Brian. It is the link on the Roundhouse Engineering, home page (not youtube) that has has the a full episode of the Ch4 production that I thought our Oz and NZ friends might like as it cant be seen on Iplayer as they wont have a UK address ( IPS or summit). There is a photo of the presenters holding one of the locos on home page of Roundhouse Engineering.   Clicking on that shows at least one episode. Thanks again.     P.S. there are a few boaty scenes that Neil and the model lifeboat flotilla will be familiar with from their epic a couple of years ago,

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:29 am »

OK couple of points. If they are having trouble because of the IP address being read to make sure you are viewing from within the UK (this is because of copyright problems) then just install a simple IP anonymiser such as Halo - this fools the sender, in this case channel 4, into thinking you are in the UK - or any other country in the world of your choosing.

Secondly though, with it being embedded as it is requires the activation of Adobe's Flash addon. Not many people use it nowadays due to the simplicity of it being hacked and introducing virus and malware on to your closely guarded device! This is one of the reasons why Youtube has become so popular over the years. Youtube although it has over 200 full programs of Channel 4, only has a couple of clips from this series and then only a minute or so of programming. Probably the reason for that is because it will still be available on their 'catch up' channel. If you were to give it a month or so, then it will appear on their own youtube channel.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:44 am »

Thanks again Brian, very informative for this non savvy IT Luddite. I`m sure it will help a lot of people in far flung parts who have been trying to see what we are on about. More muddeling fun with bridge building to cross water tonight in UK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.