Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4  (Read 17936 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Biggest Little Railway in the World - Channel 4
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2018, 12:08:42 pm »

I can't believe on a model boat forum that the biggest talking point is model trains - go figure! %% %%

'cos we're not all one trick ponies is the reason for that %%

LB, whose other interests include: car mechanics and restoration, steam engines of all types, photography and videography of all types, well, most types anyway, travel and winding people up. 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2018, 01:36:10 pm »

I agree, model boats, yachts, full size sailing, model railways, preserved railways, I play Bridge, dance when my knees allow, a bit of cycling for exercise, Meccano club, Secretary of society, all the cooking at home, etc.
I think I will go and have a rest now!
Roy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 05:40:35 pm »

'cos we're not all one trick ponies is the reason for that %%

LB, whose other interests include: car mechanics and restoration, steam engines of all types, photography and videography of all types, well, most types anyway, travel and winding people up.

Now you see, this is why I thought long and hard about posting this.

Not because you are discussing railways or any other subject, it is after all the chit chat forum.

No the reason I posted it was because this is a model boat forum, and except for a very few people who do comment on boat related articles, the winds of desolation mostly blow through posts about boats.  But railways - every man and his dog come out to make a comment, I guess the question really should be - Why is that?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2018, 05:50:14 pm »

Many many more people have travelled by rail than Ships,
 as opposed to ferries were the transport of the much better off.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »

I think model railways are No 2 pastime after fishing in the UK.  On Mayhem there are an awful lot of subject headings to discuss model boats in exquisite detail.
regards Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:54 am »

After the last episode 3 i wonder what the criteria to help out was! There were at least 2 people who have nothing to do with model railways that i saw interviewed. I female whose boyfriend liked model railways but was a project engineer for br and another who had never driven a train! So did their rral life jobs give tgem any insight into engineering in real life....i doubt it!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:41 am »

Hi Klunk, I have a niece who is a project manager for Network rail and she would roll her eyes up at the thought of driving a 'toy' train.  I liked the way the TV girl smiled and said "He makes up for it in other ways"!  Mind you I think that some of the younger ones there did it as something to put on their CV's.
regards Roy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:41 am »

Yep i agreewith that Roy. I work with project managers and to be honest most cannot tell their elbow from their ar#e. A simple measurement will come to us in imperial, so we convert it to metric do the testing and give them the data and they complain as we converted everything to metric! To them its irrelevant we only test in metric!
full time penguin

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2018, 01:37:53 pm »

After the last episode 3 i wonder what the criteria to help out was! There were at least 2 people who have nothing to do with model railways that i saw interviewed. I female whose boyfriend liked model railways but was a project engineer for br and another who had never driven a train! So did their rral life jobs give tgem any insight into engineering in real life....i doubt it!

The production company approached lots of people, not just railway modellers. I know someone in science and engineering communications who was asked if they could help find engineers, including female ones.

This isn't really a model railway challenge, look at the tasks and it's far more engineering based a lot of the time.

RST

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »

I've kind of given up on this now.  Just watching episode 3 on a recording rather than watching live.  I still can't believe there isn't much / any evident local input so for me it's turned into a bit of a holiday for "southerners" LoL.  Just a holiday for folk with a bit of a challenge set.  I'm beginning to get a bit bitter why there's not more local involvement.  But kudos to them -they did it this year and there was NOTHING leaked in the press ANYWHERE local .  I'm not interested in them making town -we NEVER HEARD about it so it's no biggie now.

...Considering the schools in my area have had their budgets cut recently.  I wax lyrical back to my days in school 30 years ago when we had "challenge" days and had to do teambuilding or engineering challenges akin to sections of this programme.  I'd rather see money put towards getting kids in schools to do challenges and be the next engineers rather than the complete guff this dumbed down Strawbridge norm becomes repeatably presentable!!!!!

RST

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

Sorry but one parting shot towards Major Dick...

For all the mentions of "Silver lady" nobody has as far as I can see so far explained properly what it (she) is.  No explanation of steam locomotives, nothing how it's minituarised, nothing how it is controlled, nothing how this is a big ask -period for a model.  No wonder the guy from the manufactuer of the loco always looks a little sheepish / embarrased when he is called in to fix things.  It's just a joke how the show has been put together if you have any interest in it.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:41 pm »

Project engineer for NETWORK RAIL who litterally does railway engineering for a living and you think it doesn't give them any insight into engineering in the real world......riiiiiight.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:37 pm »

Precisely. That's who i deal with in the real world. And more to the point did that person solve the problem????
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:23 pm »

:-) :-) :-) :-)
Lol
Ps look at the state of network rail!
full time penguin

RST

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:01 pm »

I work with project managers and to be honest most cannot tell their elbow from their ar#e.

I work for a company which will make you both if required, but we are not sure which is which ourselves but we're right either way, so we get confused fairly often to be honest.  (Have you considered how good a pair of butt cheeks might look so good on a kneekap these days???)  The smaller the company the more flat earth / discworld is believeble.  I hate working in municipal sector!!!!

...I used to like arguing with PM's.  Half of them were easier to catch-out than a Tim Vine one -liner and were a partial nightmare, the other half were a joy to work for.  Miss those days.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 12:49:59 am »

I work in a consulting engineering firm......we have good and not so good    but then we see clients that are.....well you know, they're right and the laws of physics are wrong!
full time penguin

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2018, 10:01:23 am »

Not sure what the introduction of the Electric was supposed to have achieved especially as they used it to go over the large span viaduct,  and quite disappointed on the uphill track where we pulled it up without the benefit of a cable way.  Makes you wonder why we didn't just pull it all the  way, on a piece of string, or am I missing the point.  I  think Hadrian(I think he's called) needs a personality implant and lessons on how to talk to people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.