Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greedy Ebay sellers  (Read 2301 times)

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Greedy Ebay sellers
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:24 pm »

Hi Guys,

Be aware that a few Ebay sellers are actually getting items sent from Amazon, and adding a bit.

In my case £8 on a £24.95 purchase. very greedy.

When it arrived, I realised the true price, and told ebay seller that I didn't want it. £3 postage  to return, saving £5. Then order part from Amazon.

So it's worth checking Amazon price against Ebay price.

Dave.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Greedy Ebay sellers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »

Greedy - Possibly,  but at the end of the day if you were initially happy to pay the price !!

I always check prices on various platforms before purchasing.

for the Seller Don't forget on the sale of  £24.95  there are charges made by ebay and Paypal and  is at least a 35p listing fee, a 10% Final valuation charge on the Item & any postage if not included in that price. and then about 70p paypal fee. and of course the actual postage, although most sellers now state Postage free, it obviously is not if posted in the Uk.

:-)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:48:17 pm »

Not greedy at all.

This is how all businesses work - buy something - add value - make profit.

Surely if the buyers are happy to pay the price then more fool them for not doing their due diligence.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:16:50 pm »

Someone once asked "If a fool and his money are soon parted then how the hell did they ever get together in the first place?"
Not that I've never been 'had' but checking the price of a proprietary item should become habit, especially when you're buying on-line. Check the quantities and pack sizes, too!
DM

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »

Hi Guys,

Be aware that a few Ebay sellers are actually getting items sent from Amazon, and adding a bit.

In my case £8 on a £24.95 purchase. very greedy.

When it arrived, I realised the true price, and told ebay seller that I didn't want it. £3 postage  to return, saving £5. Then order part from Amazon.

So it's worth checking Amazon price against Ebay price.

Dave.

Dave - thank you for the heads up!!!

I have a list of normal suppliers that I use that I compare prices for my modelling/electronic supplies - very rarely do I consider searching Amazon they are not on my go to list in that context

It's not that I don't use Amazon - I do  - lots ( approx 3- 10 deliveries a week sometimes more in relation to my business)

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:41 am »

Yes the Americans have a name for it and are  experts at it, it's called capitalism.

Don't forget that Amazon, among others, also sells on eBay and also buys from merchants who deliver direct to you with Amazon adding its mark up on what you pay. Same as the eBay sellers.

Stopped shopping via eBay long time ago.

Not rocket science, shop around. Caveat Emptor.

As said, Not only are fools separated from their money but more money than brains comes to mind.

One of my other hobbies is collecting money, not having a great deal of success but I keep working at it O0 O0 {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:33 am »

I think the point Dave was trying to get across was the dubious ness of the ebay seller in that they don't have a product to sell.

What they are doing is advertising someone else's goods, if they get a fish on the hook so to speak, they then order the goods themselves but have it re-directed to the buyers address. It's underhand and bordering on illegal, - what if you ordered the goods paid up front as you have to with ebay, but when the seller goes to order it and have it redirected from Amazon, the amazon seller has sold out? The ebay seller has your money for goods they never had to sell in the first place.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:57 am »

Most businesses work like that - I managed a company where we did 8.5 stock turns per year - most buyers were buying something we didn't have in stock - but good supplier management and a just-in-time methodology meant we didn't get stuck with unsold stock or have money tied up and inaccessible.

If you buy a car, odds are it doesn't exist in the format that you order so it is made after you place your order.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:23 am »

There is a lot of this going on in China on Taobao (ebay equivalent).
It if for stuff that cannot be bought in China. Usually the seller has a relative abroad who will source the goods. One of the problems is that China customs can be difficult if you don't have the right license, and buying things through commercial channels can be almost impossible. Therefore, unofficial channels are used. The catch is that the sellers put up a notice that there 'may be' additional import duties to pay (amount as yet unknown) and you the buyer contract to pay this if it occurs.
The most annoying thing is that the prices are often 3-4 times the purchase price in the overseas market. There are some things that you cannot get any other way, but then I usually find they are not essential and don't purchase. These guys are greedy. But in the OPs case, the guys are just cheeky/opportunistic.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:40 am »

It's called Dropshipping and has been going on for as long as there has been business. Especially in eCommerce.
Perfectly legal and many businesses encourage it as sort of an affiliate scheme.

My first business was dropshipping back when I was 15 and at school, sell things online then order them to be delivered direct to my customer, pay a little bit more and the seller I was getting them from would remove their name and logo from the invoice etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.