Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW SEAQUEL BUILD  (Read 27434 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
NEW SEAQUEL BUILD
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:35:10 pm »

Hi guys well my new boat arrived today and i have to say its absolutely stunning,the finnish is exellent.The hull seems very rigid without been too heavy at just over 6lb in weight,the boat was made by Alan Gavin from Blue C Marine and this is his first rc boat design .All i can say is for anyone who thinks new guys cant make great quality boats is try one.These sell at £70 delivered and i couldnt be happier O0.Heres some pics,by the way they come with deck unjoined or joined the choice is youres .I chose unjoined to make it easyer to install the rails etc.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW SEAQUEL BUILD
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:14:15 pm »

Looks OK., what length is it please Martin?

You going to run it with surface drive?

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:43:23 pm »

It measures 461/2"long including the lip which is large as you can see so will need quite a bit of trimming.The width is 13 " at the widest part and at the transom its 11" across at the chine rails 11 1/2"not including the lip at the deck join.Seems a good size and should make a good stable boat,the sides are3 3/8" at the back from chine to deck join 3 5/8" at deepest and at the transom she is 5 1/2" from deck join to the V.Yes surface drive i have all the hardware ready to be installed  O0.

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »

If I was you I would drill a hole in the center of the step and run  a pipe up to the deck to vent the step it will make it quicker and improve the handling
 but definitely good looking boat O0
Right which one will I do next?;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »

If I was you I would drill a hole in the center of the step and run  a pipe up to the deck to vent the step it will make it quicker and improve the handling
Interesting idea where did you get that from ?any pics of what you mean how does it make it handle better?.cheers
mart

Phantom1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 04:43:03 pm »

Interesting idea where did you get that from ?any pics of what you mean how does it make it handle better?.cheers
mart

Mart, Andy is right, this is exactly what we do on our full size powerboats. Basically on our big stuff the idea is to allow air to run off the hull at the transom, venting the prop so as it cavitates slightly, because the prop is cavitating it then revs much higher giving superb "hole shot". There isnt much if any advantage running at speed in my opinion.

O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 06:46:14 pm »

so are you saying i should do it ?.

Phantom1

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 06:59:17 pm »

so are you saying i should do it ?.

No i'm not saying do it  as i cant comment on how an RC  hull would benefit from venting, i can only give my experience of the full scale boats we make.  :angel:

omra85

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:24:21 pm »

Hi Mart
Nice looking hull (as we said when "Phantom" first put them on here, sooo long ago)  ;)
Nice shade of red ORANGE  ;D ;D
I like the new top and there is lots of area to open up for a centre exhaust (unless you're going under deck, then it won't matter).
The spray rails on the bottom look interesting.  You will have to set it up to corner 'nose up', as the two front rails finish well forward and there are only the two wide rails at the rear, so set the CB well back otherwise, when you go into a corner, the front will 'grip' and the back will 'slide', giving you a spin! You will probably need a turn fin(s) on it.
As for venting - the principle is sound but remember these boats don't go as fast as the real thing - and air doesn't scale.  So to get sufficient air to the step will require some sort of 'ram scoop' on the top.  I would just rely on the fact that SOME air will be drawn under the hull from the sides and leave it at that!
There are many more ways (most easier) to get more speed.  The step should give an increase on it's own, so I wouldn't be tempted to start 'air injection' at this stage.  You can always try it when you've got the most out of it and are looking for the 'extra half mph'.  ;D

Good luck and keep us posted.

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:06 pm »

I  was just asking thats all ,i wasnt going to do it just yet but who knows i might try it at a later date.Thanks for the tips Danny ill bare your advice in mind when im setting up the balance point,where would you suggest i put the balance point at 25% maybe?.When  you say spray rails i presume you mean the chine rails ? .Its a  pretty deep v i wouldnt think the chines will be a problem in the turns to be honest but ill bare what you said in mind.Ill run the boat without fins and tabs to start just to see how she handles and make a decision on them then  ;).Allan is making me a new hatch as im running a clutch on the zen and the plug sticks up too high for the hatch so hes making me one like in the pic.

omra85

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 10:30:50 pm »

Try it with the balance (CG) level with the outer ends of the step (looks about 25 - 28%).
The  shape of the chines means the back end will LIFT on corners (as the boat tries to slide sideways they will act as a step).
The front rails will tend to dig in if the nose goes too low as they are the 'opposite' shape.
You will either have a fantastic runner - or a pig.  It's up to you to set it up right  O0 - so no pressure then  ;D ;D

danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 10:46:32 pm »

Danny everyone told me my woodys chines were wrong and the boat would dig in etc etc ,she runs great so ill wait and see.What do you mean by the shape of the chines will make the back lift what makes you say that? .I havent a clue how it will run to be honest but if looks are anything to go by i cant wait  O0.setting it up is half the fun for me and i hope it will run well  ;).

omra85

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »

Hi Mart
I'm NOT saying the rails are wrong - you COULD end up with the fastest boat in the country.
If you imagine how the water 'pushes' against the rails when the boat turns, you'll find that the angles on yours will 'push ' the water downwards - hence creating lift.  This is not neccesarily a BAD thing - it's just how you handle it. You are right in the only way to tell is to try it.  So get cracking  O0 ;D ;D ;

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 11:35:05 pm »

Ok ill get cracking but first i need some 5 ply and some resin  ;),once the rails are in it should come together nicely  O0.Thanks for taking the time to explain things mate ,ill be sure to keep you posted as i go cheers.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

Ok ill get cracking but first i need some 5 ply and some resin  ;),once the rails are in it should come together nicely  O0.Thanks for taking the time to explain things mate ,ill be sure to keep you posted as i go cheers.

So it should be in the water next weekend then Mart?

Glenn

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:17:19 am »

mart
mart

I have had a lot of experience with this hull it was first called a riptide made buy John Smith although the top was different the hull is basically the same but I see some of the lines have been have been sharpened up which I see as an improvement but basically the step is facing the wrong way which creates a suction below the boat which sucks the boat down and doesn't let the air in by venting the step it you allow air in and get the lift which will give you the speed,right the handling side as it is the outer edges of the step are higher   than the keel line as the water flows over the hull it creates a vacuum pocket ether side of the keel so when you turn and the boat leans you then get vacuum on one side of the keel and as soon as air gets in the other side you will have pressure and at that point you cant know what the boat will do and its not usually nice (I know from my own experience lol) All this is what I discovered when  I was running a riptide 1 in omra a few years ago the most fun boat I have had running John Kerr took a photo of it at the Weymouth  event 2004  and it made the front cover of the December issue of model boats
At the end of the day it is your boat and it is up to you what you want to do I am just trying to help
Andy       

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 08:42:24 am »

Hi Andy your help is very much appreciated thanks,ill try her as she is first and see how she handles then i might try what you suggested.Do you have a pic of your riptide and its step,Allan who made this also builds full size boats too,this one is his own design as far as i know.Ill let him answer that one,id love to see some pics of your hull and see the similaritys .Im asuming you drilled a hole in the step on youres  and this helped yea ?.I know of one guy who has this same boat with a sikk engine in it but im not sure if hes run it yet but ill be interested to hear how it goes ill need to email a mate of mine who knows him.Ill let you know if i hear anything and thanks again your input is very welcome ,this is only my second gas boat so any help is welcome  O0 cheers.

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:32 am »

I wish I could show you some pictures unfortunately I was running on the local haven with the tide flowing doing a bit of a chase boat thing when it hit a just submerged buoy at full pelt well it went about 7ft in the air when it was recovered the hull was damaged to much to repair :'( I had a 50" apache after that but it wasn't the same   :(
But having said that here are a couple of the replacement I got for it that I never got round to doing mainly because I went more over to scale(don't say it) 
but they must still perform  O0   

this hull comes in slightly longer at 48" and the tops different but I think your recognise the hull lines although there are differences

Phantom1

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 02:07:05 pm »

the hull i have was a Shakespeare Designed hull as far as i know, i reduced the step height by 3mm and sharpened the chine and strakes and extended the innermost strakes. The original hull was 49" long with a very rounded transom. The topsides on mine are also inreased by 10mm.

O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 03:07:18 pm »

Do you know of anyone who has one running mate if so any chance of some pics or vids?.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 04:22:16 pm »

Andy is this your boat by any chance ?

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 05:01:26 pm »

no D37 is Johns number that is the later riptide that one has no step and it handled better.
The only picture I have is on the front cover of the December 2004 model boat mag I ll scan it down  and post it
Phantom1 funny you should mention Shakespeare because thats where John said hes came from got to some thing in it

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 06:15:20 pm »

Can i ask where abouts your spark plug was in relation to the transom ie how far? reason i ask is to make sure im going to have enough room as the hatch doesnt go all the way to the front edge of where the screen moulding is as you can see.

omra85

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 06:38:05 pm »

John Smith is running a Riptide.  It is not renowned as the most stable of boats and can be a 'handful'.
His best results this year have been two thirds at Stevenage and Weymouth.
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007, 07:40:34 pm »

your just trying to scare me arent yaa Danny  ;D,i think the riptide is 11" wide? mines 13" at widest point.11" across the chines at the back so mine should be more stable hopefully.Anyway i have a mate who has one of daves panther hulls and it seems to spend all its time upside down  ;).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.