Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build  (Read 24628 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:46:56 pm »

Well folks,  here we go again, with my next project.  The USS Ranger CV-4 static build at 1/350 scale. Kit is again from Trumpeter with photo-etch detail enhancement.  I have just cracked the box open and have started work on the hull by preparing her for bottom paint.  I will provide pictures shortly, but am starting off right out of the gate with a question for you folks.  This model kit is showing her color scheme with the 1945 period "Razzle-Dazzle" camo config.  I have mixed feeling about it and the look, plus having to mask and hand brush all those different geometric patterns on the hull sides, etc.  It would be stunning and unique in appearance, but my feelings are that I would like to show the Ranger as she would have been post 1942 vintage which had the standard G-5 (?) type dark blue/grey color, pretty much like all the other US Naval ships of ww2 that I have been building.  I'm not afraid to take on the challenge of that camo paint schem.  I'll take a poll from you good folks as to what you think I should do with it.  More later.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »

While I love the razzle dazzle, I would see if it distracts the eye from other detail such as aircraft etc. Give it a go, it will probably be the only carrier in the narrative you do in such a scheme, so it won't be one of a whole chore load to contemplate. I expect you can make your life eaier by pmasking and painting the hull before you add too many details so there is little risk of damage from hungry tape.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:49 pm »

Yes, that would be the plan to paint the hull early in the game.  I think there are about 5 different colors going on and alot of masking.  Still thinking on this  It is very striking in appearance... from light grey to black, dark blue, med. blue, etc.  I wonder how effective it was as camo in real life?  Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:26:19 pm »

I would imagine very effective Dennis.  Painting camo at that scale sounds even more challenging than your previous carriers.  Good luck I shall be watching with interest.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:03:47 am »

Ok, unless something I find out from further research directs me otherwise, I will paint on the camo.  I haven't learned how to spray paint (yet), so this will all have to be hand brushed with masking.  It was the challenge part that hooked me.  I love a challenge.  Its this thing I have... if I can still get this old mind of mine to keep going, then I'll keep going... make any sense? Cheers!  :-)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:16 am »

Here are a couple of pics that will help with the visual of my "Razzle Dazzle" model ship.  Work has started on the hull, drilling out the ports and masking off for the bottom paint.  As is always the case, painting will be done in stages, more so with this paint pattern. Trumpter has done a wonderful job with this new kit.  Lots of fine detail, clean castings and even a nice selection of photo-etch parts.  Yup, the kit manufactures are starting to get smart and are including their own upscale sets in the kits.  I'm looking at the USS Yorktown CV-5 as my "next" project (always have to have one in the wings right?) and that kit is loaded with PE.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:57:03 am »

more

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:18:14 am »

Further digging on paint scheme for the Ranger.  The "Dazzle" scheme was done around 1944.  In 1942, the Ranger was painted what they called a "Camo Mod", much the same as the USS Hornet.  I have attached two photo's  and I'm leaning towards going with this scheme only because I like the look... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:27:29 am »

Here is the 1942 picture of the Ranger in the Mod. Camo Scheme.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:20 am »

Evening Dennis..............they say a picture never lies  ;D, however the photographic image of CV-4 displays 3 chimney stacks quite a little AFT of the representation in the kit photographs

My guess is that the picture never lies   %)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 05:22:34 pm »

Well sir, sorry to say, pictures do lie.  That is a deception due to the angle of the photo.  I just checked my deck plate, which has openings for the stacks against the actual ship plans that I downloaded from the web (and they don't lie, unless mods were made that I don't know about).  I think I'm fine with the accuracy of this model. Reviews are backing that up as they say that Trumpeter did a great job with this hull.  I agree that one has to watch these kit manuafacters, many errors and I'm certain that there will be some with this kit.  Thanks for your sharp eye sir.  What are your feelings about the camo scheme, which way would you go with it?   :-)  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »

Dennis.....in no way suggesting a criticism, however further photographic images from the WEB confirms the USS Ranger as twin x 3 stacks...with each set well AFT of the Island

My apologies, I stand corrected, in that the Trumpeter box art appears correct :-)), it was just the other cameo image [of the Hornet] that threw me

In some of the reading of CV-4 Ranger, the twin x 3 smoke stacks are spoken of as unique??

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:54 pm »

Hi Dennis, she is one of those ships that was lucky with the camo schemes she wore. You have more than one choice of interesting scheme so definitly go with the 'Camo Mod'. It looks a little more forgiving in the accuracy stakes as well.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:05 pm »

No problem Derek, you have a sharp eye and one thing I like about this group is that things are spotted that really can help with an accurate build.  I'm posting a couple of pics that help to see the stack location.  Looks like the kit is pretty close.  Yes... I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the camo mod. wave pattern, only because it just looks better to me than the Razzle Dazzle.  You know, if you investigate on the web. about camo patterns, there are some pretty wild shcemes that were used.. almost scary.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:31 pm »

more.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 11:57:02 pm »

One further complication Dennis......it appears that the 6 stacks could be rotated to the horizontal plane [90 degrees down] and this as assumed would be for take off and landing of aircraft.....looking more at the Trumpeter box art......it appears that they are shown as lowered state

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 01:28:29 am »

That is true... I have pondered how I want to display those stacks. The nice thing about the kit is that the parts are designed so that once assembled, they can be rotated easily up or down. Now, do I show one side up and one side down or both up or down?  From what I have read, they lowered those stacks if they had aircraft on deck or running flight ops and raised them for flat out steaming.  I would guess that having the stacks in the up position would blow the exhaust up and away.  I remember my Navy aircraft carrier days when I was aboard the newer Ranger.  It didn't make any difference if the smoke was blowing up or out, it still came over the deck depending on speed and wind direction.  I think it was more a removal of vertical objects for flight ops that they put them down.  I could have "one up and one down" all the way around and that would solve the connundrum. O0   Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 10:05:58 am »

Dennis.  Using the definition you have just given, if you are planning to show aircraft on the deck, especially if flying off or over, then all the smoke stacks should be in the lowered position.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 02:19:26 pm »

Tks Bob, I agree.  Now.... if I can figure out a way to have an entire squadren flying over....... cheers!  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 09:22:42 pm »

Encapsulating the entire model and its aircraft in acrylic resin as the paper weight people do would allow you to have the aircraft flying without the need for wires, but the whole block of resin, ship and aircraft would weigh quite a lot!

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:19:59 am »

Brilliant!  {-)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 02:40:00 pm »

Dennis,
 A wonderful book for your reference about Ranger is " Torpedo Squadron Four A Cockpit View of World War II", by Gerald W. Thomas. The author reported aboard Ranger as an ensign pilot on 1/10/42. The first 1/4 of the book is Ranger based right thru the North African invasion.
All stacks up or down, don't mix them. As an aside, I believe the USS United States was designed with folding stacks as well. Also, the Japanese horizontally vented almost all of their carriers until quite late in the war.
Jonathan
PS, Great under represented subject!

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:33 pm »

Dennis,
 Here is a nugget for you involving the Ranger. It will require you to come up with TBM-3W's though.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:26:21 pm »

Very interesting indeed. Did not read that part of her history.  I have decided to render my model of the Ranger as she appeared in the 1942 time period.  Her camo was what they called "camo-mod". Similar to the USS Hornet's camo scheme.  I'm about 50% complete on that paint scheme at his moment.  No air brushing, all free-hand brush.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 10:27:39 pm »

Camo is finally on the hull.  The masking tape I used failed and managed to pull a large portion of my hull paint off.. first time I've had that occur.  It was old tape or hull prep and I knew better.  So, alot of hand work to correct, but its behind me now.  Shaft supports and main shafts, plus rudder to install next, then the hanger deck is ready to install.  I have to admire the lines of this ship.  She was not fast for a carrier, probably could have used more power.  Still, a beauty in my books.  Dennis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.