Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build  (Read 24635 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:25 pm »

Thank you.  Probably will be showing aircraft, ie. Wildcat, defender, devastator, with dark blue upper half, with red and white stripe rudder.  Yes, I am aware of her time ferrying P-40's to South Africa... very interesting subject and worth giving some thought to.  Would be more appropriate with the 1942 scheme.  I need to investigate to see if I can find 1/350 kits of P-40's... might be cool to have a squad of them on deck, since I want to carry a number of aircarft on the hanger deck below. Thanks for the suggestion.. I like it, the more I think about it.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:16 pm »

You know, I noticed those cylinders or whatever on one of the photos I have downloaded.  I do not know what they are.  Gonna have to look into it.  Tks,  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 12:17:10 am »

Just a few guesses based on their shape and apparent color, air=yellow or CO2. not sure of that color code. Could be O2, but doesn't look to be green.
Might consider Shapeway's as a source for P-40's

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2018, 05:04:17 pm »

Thank You Jonathan,  I contact Shapeways and one of their designers is making 3D models of the P-40's I need... (actually, they will be a curtis varient design XP-42, which occured just prior to the P-40... at 1/350 scale and painted up, the models will be close in appearance.)  I searched far and wide on the net and could not find a 1/350 kit or built model of the P-40.  So, technology to the rescue.   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 05:26:40 am »

Making jewlery.... one of two cranes from PE.  Fiddley to work with, but it comes out pretty real.  Working on hanger deck sides that will support the flight deck.  Lots of pre-painting before assembly, then touch-up after.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 01:39:27 pm »

Looking good Dennis.
I remember reading that US carriers would regularly open the roll up doors of the hanger deck for light and ventilation, , especially when warming up engines, which was often done on the hangar deck before planes were moved up to the flight deck for a strike mission. About the only time the roll up doors were closed completely was at night, to prevent light escape while planes were being worked on. I did as you when I started my Yorktown. I expect to see a bevy of activity in your hangar. 
Jonathan   :D

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »

Thanks Jonathan,  It was really bugging me that all that wasted space on the hanger deck woud not be seen.  At least there will be "peek-a-boo" glimpses of activity down there.  If I'm not mistaken, one model manufacturer supplied a "clear" flight deck, not to be painted, so one could see down below.  Nice idea, but that does not work for me.  Since I will be featuring a squad of P-40's up on the flight deck being hauled to North Africa in 42, I plan to have a good number of regular ships aircraft with wings folded, or not, on the hanger deck.  Would like to see pics of your Yorktown, are this on this Forum?  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:43 pm »

I hope it doesn't get any smaller than this... :o   Guess you would call these Ballards or Bits?  Figure eight tie off or to a cleat.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:19 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2018, 08:31:39 pm »

Eek! They are small. I love the crane.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2018, 05:43:51 am »

Stairs and railing in PE.     Dennis

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2018, 07:18:14 am »

Hi Dennis,

Coming on a right treat  :} . Have you started thinking about whats next?

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »

If you mean by what ship model, it will either be the Yorktown or the old Interprize.  I'm trying to go by class and the next ship in class after the Ranger is the Yorktown, then it will be the Essex Class, then the Midway Class and I want to conclude with the Forrestal Class and try to depict my old ship that I finished my Navay Career on "Uss Ranger CVA-61).  Three things, I will either run out of room for all these models, run out of money, or run out of time.  {:-{   Dennis  "either way, its gonna be fun"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2018, 09:06:20 pm »

That's only four models, so I have faith in your abilities, space and funds Dennis :O)
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

Well Derek, the saga continues.  Guess what I found in my kit, those strange cylinders or whatever they are.  Trumpeter must have thought them important, there they are on sprue E-4.  And so I dug into trying to find out  what they are or where and came up with zero.  But, I did come to some conclusions.  My boat safety course always said that any flamable and compressed gas must be stored outside on the boat somewhere, or where there is very good ventilation, especially for gases that are heavier than air.  So my conclusion is that those are compressed gas cylinders, possibly used for Fire Control System on the ship and piped to different compartments.  Pictures I have seen show two racks of those cylinders, but not sure that would be enough for such a big ship.  Unless, the gas is going to a very sensitive compartment, like ammo storage, or the galley?  It appears that either the tip or the entire cylinder are painted white, or is that yellow in a black and white photo.  That's my best shot, unless some of you folks can solve this mystery.  I'd sure like to know for certain.  Thanks again Derek.  Sharp eye.  :o  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:10 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »

One more suggestion, Welding Gas cylinders?  D.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »

Your interest in the identity of these cylinders reminded me that on the model of HMS Ark Royal (I think that is she) at the Fleet Air Arm museum, there are a number of torpedo sized cylinders along the bridge side of her flight deck. I wondered if they serve the same purpose as yours? They are not torpedoes or bombs as they have neither fin nor fuse/arming prop.

It's all interesting stuff!

Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »

A shot in the dark - maybe the cylinders are fire fighting foam for the flight deck ?  {:-{

Regards,

Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 09:40:09 pm »

Ok, the mystery cylinders are installed.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2018, 11:20:58 pm »

Dennis,
 Very nice. I did notice that half of the cylinders still retained their valve protection caps. Most flammable gases were protected by the cylinder itself, ie acetylene, so I don' think the theories fit, yet. You might chech with the Naval Historical Foundation, or the naval History and Heritage Command, to identify them. I suspect that they are high pressure from their appearance, but the color of the tanks will identify them.
Jonathan

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:16 pm »

Ok folks, my P-40's (actually Curtis XP-42) have arrived from Shapeways.  3D printed per my request to scale 1/350.  Actually, they are not too bad for the small scale... mind you, not up to the detail accuracy of the Trumpeter aircraft kits, but with some careful painting, they will look like P-40's.  I've got the camo color scheme identified and the decals.  I only ordered eight to start with, they are not cheap, at around $3.00 US ea.  The Ranger carried 74 when they ferried them to North Africa in 1943.  I will order another eight and call it good, or maybe more, we will see how they look on deck.  My kit only supplies a total of 15 aircraft.  The ones with folding wings, I can have on the Hanger Deck, maybe some Wildcats on the Flight Deck.  I'll sort it out.  All in all, I'm pleased.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:54 pm »

more.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:01 pm »

Dennis,
 Those should work! don't forget that Ranger carried four Vindicators with folding wings on deck with her load of 40's. Did you kit come with Vindicators? This is going to look fantastic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.