Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build  (Read 24612 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Ranger CV-4, scale 1/350 Static Build
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:58 am »

Yes it did, along with TBF's and F8F's.  Those are pretty standard for this era and additional kits are readly available from Trumpeter.  Currently finishing up with the stacks... articulating piping is fiddly to work with, but each swival quite nicely... like little kits on their own.  Still need to decide if I want them down for flight ops or up for steaming.  I'm finding this kit to be great for lots of detail.  I can't even find a detail upscale kit out there yet for the Ranger.  Seems to be enough PE that Trumpeter has got it covered.  I will need to purchase Wind Breaks from Gold Medal, which will include some additional details that just may work for the Ranger. (kit is for the Hornet).  Very pleasing, working for hours under my mag loop in a warm room as the storms rage outside.. boy, we have had the weather in the great North Wet. Cheers! Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2018, 02:39:52 am »

Here is the first P40 in camo.  Pretty small to paint.  Just needs decals.  I think it looks pretty close.  Also a shot of STBD stacks so far. Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 02:40:23 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 02:40:59 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2018, 02:43:55 pm »

Hi Stan, I tried to reply to your personal msg.  But that didn't work.  What can say about your Gambler Bay.... I bow to the master.... beautiful and stunning.  Now that's a scale you can get your hands on... lovely detail work.  Curious now where the model is stored and what you plan to do with it down the road.  I'm producing models at such a high rate, I'm running out of room.  Its no different than my wife and her cross-stitch pictures that require framing when completed.  Between the two of us, our house is filling up.  I have sold a few models.  Tks for sharing.  The talent on this forum is amazing.  Cheers,  Dennis

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »

Hi Dennis to answer your questions.

The model is stored in a very large box that splits into two halves it also includes a draw to store the aircraft. The box keeps out sun light and dust giving protection to the model. The box is stored in the garage. With regard to the future of the model should I ever build the second one then Gambier Bay may be seen again long term who knows. The aircraft are from  John Haynes fine scale models and painted using paints from white ensign now sovereign hobbies.

Hope this answers your questions.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 08:55:10 pm »

Thanks Stan.  Good protection for a model that truly runs on the water.  I choose to display mine in plexi cases, which I'm finding is a very expensive way to go.  I'm too much of a chicken to learn to build my own, which would save me a ton.  Your aircraft are beautifully rendered.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:46 pm »

Painted up the warhawk is a lovely model. The canopy works well in transparent plastic.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:40 am »

Tks, but I changed the paint job.... Dessert Sand solid, except for canopy.  Yes, I'm glad they rendered it in a frosted acrylic... man, that stuff is tough, it will break.  I'll get pics when I apply decals.  Dennis

RST

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2018, 12:53:56 am »

I bookmarked a few pics before shutting my laptop down and it's not remembered anythigng which is very annoying as your quandry regarding the "shell shaped" objects sacked up on the gantry on the transom had me obsessed as to find out more pics or find out what they were.

...Suffice to say I lost a very good pic of the stern, and I lost the link to the website (GRR!!)).

...But I had a clear BnW shot of the stern and it showed not the shell shaped objects but a line of maybe a dozen other objects across the beam instead.  They were clusters of what looked like three balls each (two lower, one upper, bit like a clover leaf), I would guess 2-3 foot diameter each ball, maybe 6 feet separation right across the stern on that platform under the landing deck.  I thought it was maybe some form of system with lamps set at angles / colours to aid landing on deck.  Each lamp a different colour and angle you could only see if you were flying at just the right approach angle to land???  Maybe not!  I coouldn't tell from the pic when it was taken, or why the bank of them was different from the "rocket" shaped items in the other picture which only spanned half the beam otherwise.

I'm perplexed by this.  I spent allot of hours trawling the internet.  It annoys me when I can't find an answer somewhere but to be fair I have spent a good few hours reading up on this vessel which I never heard of before which is all good.

RST

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2018, 01:10:50 am »

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020421.jpg

... this pic shows something different, I'm fairly sure it's a pic from the stern.  I am intrigued as to what that formation is compared to other pics in the area.  I can't work out whether it's re-fits / original fits etc or not, it lacks the significant diameter ducting from the other pics to the platform anyway.  Any ideas?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:24 am »

RST......this is very interesting.....

I am sure that Dennis could accept that these are a series of rotatable for angular placement Landing Lights.... for stern on landing geometry/direction aid lights

It remains a mystery  >>:-( why Trumpeter provided the brace of pointed shell like projectiles for the model kit?, and as shown in the earlier image of Ranger

The earlier image displays what appear to be two inflatable life rafts on smaller & stacked in the larger.....the corners of these could be confused as say 12 " to 20" diameter ducting or trunking??

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2018, 01:57:53 am »

Gentlemen, well I certainly appreciate the hours you are spending trying to find out answers for me.  Sadly, I have no clue what those are and I'm with you, I would agree that those could be landing lights for aircraft.. makes perfect sense to me.  Most all the pictures I have are from NavSource and none show those lights.  However, In going over those pictures, one from 1942, shows a two tub arraigment for AA guns, where my model kit shows 3, with a larger middle AA gun and two smaller cal. on either side.  I have very small copies of the original build plans for the ship that I managed to download and they show the 3 tub config. for those guns.  I know this must be very satisifying doing all this research, but you gentlement are spending way too much time on the internet and need to be building models.  Thank you for the efforts.. most kind of you. ;)   Dennis

RST

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2018, 03:01:34 am »

Gentlemen, well I certainly appreciate the hours you are spending trying to find out answers for me.  Sadly, I have no clue what those are and I'm with you, I would agree that those could be landing lights for aircraft.. makes perfect sense to me.  Most all the pictures I have are from NavSource and none show those lights.  However, In going over those pictures, one from 1942, shows a two tub arraigment for AA guns, where my model kit shows 3, with a larger middle AA gun and two smaller cal. on either side.  I have very small copies of the original build plans for the ship that I managed to download and they show the 3 tub config. for those guns.  I know this must be very satisifying doing all this research, but you gentlement are spending way too much time on the internet and need to be building models.  Thank you for the efforts.. most kind of you. ;)   Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Ha, no chance.  I am still intrigued by this.  I have never been somewhat obsessed like this ever before!!!!

In regards to Trumpeter.  To be fair on them -they have probably worked off the same pictures (probably less than we have today with 'tinternet!!!) and it's entirely reasonable at the scale to give an approximation worthy of the return on the price of the model.

Also, there are a few pics of the stern as you say -differences in armament through the few years she was in service.  Begs the question how accurate you want to be I guess!!

....for all the supposed history and pioneering effort of the real thing there is little left on the web to go on apart from the later namesake.

By the way the term "PE" has had me going for weeks... e.g.  "PE platform added".  I may not have posted before but I've been googling "PE Platform, Ranger" etc. like mad and not come up with much as to where it was or its use.  Recently realised "PE" probably means "Photo Etch"? , not part of the ship  Excuse my own nativity!!!!!  DUUH

RST

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:52 am »

the corners of these could be confused as say 12 " to 20" diameter ducting or trunking??

...My netbook is hung up on updates and apparently didn't keep any bookmarks I made on this but apparently somewhere in pics anyway when the the Ranger changed from the pics showing the "balls" under the hanger to the other perfectly valid "rocket" shaped objects.  I Can guarantee I saw in legit photos (all from port side) outer ductwork around the stern area around this platform but no pictures show anything clearly!  I'll post a pic when I find it again -it was a hard find!

THE FORUM TOOK A WOBBLY WHEN I TRIED TO POST -I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TRUNKING IS!!!!?????

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2018, 03:48:41 am »

I forget sometimes that acronyms can cause confusion.  PE is Photo Etch... sorry.  Photo-etch parts are becoming the "go to" for added detail.  One can spend a ton of money on "Upscale" kits full of several or one sheet of Photo-etch parts.

Again, don't have a clue on the piping in stern area.  Good point made, at this scale, one just can't get it all in.. oh, I suppose one really could if you want to start counting the rivets.  Trumpeter probably has protacol for where to "draw the line" when it comes to detail, where it starts to become unreasonable without driving the price of the kit way beyond the average modelers means.  I defer to a company called TechnoArt.  Located in Latvia of all places.  They produce, in my books, some of the best, highly detailed kits on the market. If you check the archives on this Forum, I posted the build of the USS Indianapolis at close to 1/200 scale. The kit cost me close to $1,000 US.  I saw it, I had to have it.. end of story.  It is now a center piece in my collection.  I can't even begin to tell you the amount of detail, from resin cast hull, to bronze and brass castings, to several photo-etch sheets, decals, rigging.  It was a massive project and really got me going into build WW2 US Navy Warships.  I built a destroyer from another TechnoArt kit, it was cheaper in price, but smaller.. still with outstanding detail.  Now, I have discovered Trumpeter, who in my opinion come very close to the quality and detail level as TechnoArt and at a much cheaper price point,  one that I can afford.  Nothing wrong with plastic, not these days.  Ok, I can go on and on with this subject.

Again, I do appreciate the time and willingness to investigate to get a question answered.  After all, that is a huge part of this forum.  Best regards, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2018, 04:59:13 am »

Back to the madness, final Desert paint scheme and decals on P40.  By the historical pic I have on the P40's on the Ranger flight deck on the way to North Africa, I'm led to believe that the paint scheme is right out of the factory.  So, that is how I did it.  I have started with the AA guns .50 cal.  I need to build 47 of these little guys.  the shield is Photo-etch and the gun is plastic.  Just two parts, but crazy small.  Can't afford anything going "Ping".  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2018, 05:00:02 am »

more.

RST

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2018, 05:46:25 am »

Sorry fella, photo etch tech more than 40 years old pretty much well established now.  Just when I see "PHxxx" I was usually expecting /  looking for that part of the ship it was pertaining to -most others refer to that.  My Bad, realise my mistake now.

Cheers,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2018, 05:00:54 am »

I am currently working on several of the small, tedious guns and radar, etc. that is both necessary and time consuming.  So, large gaps in progress reports for you.  Here is pic of the 5" guns completed.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:49 pm »

Don't fret Dennis. Your hobby takes as long as it takes. We will be here waiting patiently. After all it will be worth waiting for  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2018, 05:05:46 am »

Roger that!  One of two gangways. So well to I remember coming aboard the USS Ranger CVA-61, when upon reaching the top, I first saluted the Flag on the stern and then saluting the Officer of the Day, asking  "RM2 Lancaster, permission to come aboard sir!", then stepping aboard that "floating city", such a huge vessel, I was always proud, still am today and sadly, she is now scrap iron somewhere..... amazing the detail of Photo-Etch.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2018, 05:06:14 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2018, 05:06:40 am »

more.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:18 am »

Ok, the mystery cylinders are installed.  Dennis

I believe that these are part of the ships smoke screen generating equipment.  On the General Arrangement drawing available at http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv4.pdf  that area is labelled "Screen Tanks".  It is possible that they are actually smoke floats designed for air dropping.  They're obvious quite light or they wouldn't be stored upright.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 22 queries.