Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glue gun  (Read 2620 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Glue gun
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:40 am »

Hi - I want to get a hot glue gun

Any recommdations - taking into account easeof purchase/cost of glue sticks?

Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Glue gun
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:48:56 am »

I bought mine from Hobbycraft.  Comes with quite a few sticks, and packets of sticks are quite cheap.
Works well.

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:22 am »

B&q Screwfix poundland all very much of a muchness

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:34:13 am »

not recommended for gluing long or large surface areas because by the time you have got to the other end of the surface the glue you put on first has gone cold and lumpy and won't stick............gave up using mine years ago.........

ok for gluing  "bendy pieces" together where you can get between both pieces such as the across grain cut plywood.  about all I have ever found a use for is spot welding"

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:09 am »

Another thing to think about is any stand that they may have. Mine has a flimsy stand that flips out from the gun, that is almost useless.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:32 pm »

I bought a new one on wednesday, some odd Spanish named one, but an exact copy except for its colouring to the Evo Stick branded one it is replacing. The nozzle on the old one had split so glue was coming out all over the place.

As pointed out earlier not good for long runs as it starts to set up, but I've found 6 to 8 inches is doable with no problems, I don't often use mine to tack parts together, but I do use it for holding parts while the main glue like epoxy or resin sets up. I also use it to mount wires in place, better than using those sticky pad cable tie thingys.

Oh the cost? my new one was €4.85 :} so around £4 in real UK currency, complete with 3 sticks of glue which went in the bin, I prefer the ones I have. :-))

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:16 am »

I Use bosch at work. Has a nice metal tube on the front for fine application work. At home i have 2 cheapies. Also depending on how much ypu use it buy the glue sticks in bulk. About £27 for 179 of 12mm x 100mm clear

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pkp18e-glue-gun-240v/25512

https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/shop/12mm-gluesticks/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIpmecwEBQWUlu7ZYrl_ugVoRe3q-wrLNZGYplhJhQUX-j1uOwOgqBQaAqQFEALw_wcB

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:33 am »

I Use bosch at work. Has a nice metal tube on the front for fine application work. At home i have 2 cheapies. Also depending on how much ypu use it buy the glue sticks in bulk. About £27 for 179 of 12mm x 100mm clear
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pkp18e-glue-gun-240v/25512
https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/shop/12mm-gluesticks/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIpmecwEBQWUlu7ZYrl_ugVoRe3q-wrLNZGYplhJhQUX-j1uOwOgqBQaAqQFEALw_wcB
Copied the quote, pasted it into notepad which dumped the unwanted formatting, copied and pasted it back here.
Real computers still have their uses.

While I would never consider a hot glue gun as a main method of joining stuff, it does have its uses.  Fixing small motors with a "blob and strap" is one, but preferably where the resulting effort is going to be unseen.  The label on one side of mine says "Stanley", the label on the other side says "made in China", so probably identical to many others.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

boatsdelboy2

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:38 pm »

Hi all I found mine on ebay and find replacement sticks quite cheap

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:33 pm »

I use mine when framing up a hull when making a plug. In conjuction with a Weller gun with the "sixpenny" bit, so if a plank is awry it is easily altered back into position. nemesis

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:08 pm »

I bought one of these.
Only for small jobs really but very handy!

Stanley Mini Trigger Glue Gun 0-GR15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Mini-Trigger-Glue-0-GR15/dp/B000RI1YUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518131198&sr=8-3&keywords=hot+glue+stanley

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:41 am »

I bought one of these.
Only for small jobs really but very handy!

Stanley Mini Trigger Glue Gun 0-GR15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Mini-Trigger-Glue-0-GR15/dp/B000RI1YUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518131198&sr=8-3&keywords=hot+glue+stanley

I have used this Stanley over all other options we have purchased over the years.
And purchase these to back up  one or two in use on the job, And I do big jobs.
The 30 cm long glue sticks keeps the feed going reducing the need to stop and reload.

The High temperature feature is nice when doing long (1.2m) runs of glue and can do this several times before needing to catch up, and reheat.

Cons:
The trigger spring will break after about two or three years of heavy use.
The High temperature setting can overheat the glue if left to sit and can cause third degree burns.
... if you are not running the glue gun for a few moments set it to low...
It is better to wait for it to heat up, than suffer any burns, or have a joint that won't cure quickly.

Note: If you get hot glue on your hand, wipe the glue off your hand, do not wave it around wildly trying to cool off the glue.

In the photo below, all furniture pieces are foam core, and hot glue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.