Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY WHY WHY ( ... why not just ask?!)  (Read 4875 times)

Stavros

WHY WHY WHY ( ... why not just ask?!)
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:36 am »

Why oh why do I even bother thats my thought of the day.

Why is it same questions about paint are being asked time and time again......

WHY  not read the painting guide in the paint section.

WHY do people ask and then think they know better than someone who has not only built more boats than them.

WHY  do they ask then go the opp way spending loads of money then moaning well it cost loads to build.

Why ask for advise knowing you know sod all and then do their own thing thinking the know better

Why ???????????

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WHY WHY WHY
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:00 am »

Dave......you will not find your answer by reading of the Chronicles of modern man, and I understand our MAYHEM Rules ....however in reading such Proverbs from the oldest Text, you may find forgiveness in your heath to shower upon those who have not yet learnt perfection or those who stray from the given worn..........

I acknowledge I sometimes stray.......but my only excuse is that I am human

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:24:39 am »

Oh and WHY  do some members try and belittle others on here and get away with it with their so called comments....I will never know.

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:39:19 am »

No one is trying to belittle you Dave, it's all in your head.

One of the problems with all forums is that it seems to be human nature that a newcomer will almost always ask a question rather than do some digging around first, yes it is regrettable but that's the way it is and why the same questions come up again and again. What to stick up your propshaft tube for example!

It is also true that there are usually more ways than one to do something which work perfectly well although not being conventional best practice. I would never give advice on something unless I KNOW it will work.

Calm down, it's Saturday!  ok2

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:49:03 am »

As Ena Sharples once remarked in an early Coronation Street, "There's nowt so queer as folk".  Or more likely, the scriptwriter.

We live in a technological age, which does not mean that anybody actually understands the technology that they use.  The vast majority of people using smartphones have no idea at all about how their magic slate works - it might just as well be worked by magic.  They just know that the battery needs charging, and they have to pay somebody to work a different spell to be able use it.  What goes on to make the spells work is a total mystery.
Many people now think that a majority opinion is the correct answer.  Possibly OK for getting a lot of people to pull the same way, but for technical matters, the best way is still the best way no matter what.  Most people using the internet are aware of google, but don't use it.  They stumble on a site like this, but never see the "search" button.  Easier to just create a new post and let the answer walk to them. 
And for many of us, reading the instructions is a last, desperate, resort.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:23 am »

'you may find forgiveness in your heath'...oh dear ...I do apologise.....the intended word was obviously heart...who do I blame for this?

My Toshiba keyboard?.......MS Outlook?......Bill Gates.....or my failure to use spell check?  :kiss:
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:17 am »

Dave
My sympathies, but you should understand the Rules for New Posters by now:

• "Search" buttons never work. You can avoid any research - or any other effort on your part - by ignoring the possibility of a question having been asked and answered before. Using the word "newbie" in your thread title will automatically entitle you to unlimited patience on the part of other members.
  • Don't forget that people who reply do it for free and that they don't mind being asked the same question over and over again.
  • No need to be specific. Just ask a vague question and let the "experts" argue first over what you meant and only then about the correct reply.
  • If you don't like or don't understand the reply then by all means argue with the person who posted it. He probably is a moron and so he might just change his mind if bullied or insulted.
  • Showing any sign of having common sense identifies you as common.
  • Poor spelling, bad grammar, omitted words and txtspeak make reading your posts far more challenging and thus far more interesting.
  • If something doesn't work make sure the whole Forum knows about it (before you take the matter up with the supplier) by opening a Mayhem thread which starts with "Has anyone else had problems with..."
  • When corresponding with a trader allow no more than half an hour for a reply to an E-Mail, especially during public holidays, at weekends and in the evenings when the recipient can have no excuse for ignoring it. Don't forget to open a Mayhem thread about poor service.
  • If you choose to buy the most expensive option then you might find that you didn't get everything you expected, but if you buy the cheapest then you'll usually end up with everything you deserve.
  • If you ask twelve forum members which is the best radio to buy you'll get at least thirteen different answers. At least one will be a brand of motor car and several others will be a Speedline Shannon.
  • If you really don't like a reply then do as Unbuiltnautilus suggests - listen politely, nod approvingly then do what you want.
DM

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:26 am »

Hi Dave,
If there's one person to turn to about paint it's you  that's WHY you get asked the same questions over and over again, yes  some are lazy and don't read up on it  some do but still want to make sure, what's why they ask the expert  I will read up and still check with you that I have understood what I have read .
    Regards Howard.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:46 am »

Love it Dave and Dave (Stav). Why aren't you two at number 10?
       Cheers, Pete. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:46 am »

Stavros having a bad hair day???

Kind of like when you are the first to answer someone's post with a correct succinct answer, but then other replies offer almost the same advice and the OP acknowledges their info and ignores your first answer!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:53 am »

Why why why make a huge drama over another members legitimate reply and then make ANOTHER thread about it!?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:50 am »

I think the answer to all the questions is that, we are all human %) , fallible %) , don't trust everything we read %)  (especially on the internet :-X ), and we sometimes need to learn from our own mistakes  :o .
 O0 O0 O0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:23:32 pm »

Why Why Why only read the last post on a thread and immediately throw in your two pennerth, when a reprise of previous posts which show others have given the same advice and worded it better
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:28:32 pm »

Why Why Why only read the last post on a thread and immediately throw in your two pennerth, when a reprise of previous posts which show others have given the same advice and worded it better

Not at all as the advise GIVEN  in this case was incorrect and would cause the poster more greif....but of course what do i know....what is my job....ah yes I paint for a living.....if someone had bothered to READ  the posting we wouldnt have this disscussion would we !!!!!

Dave

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 01:12:46 pm »

Lol dave. Have a beer and go play with the baby wombles. I believe peppa pig is on kids tv all day now........
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:06 pm »

I think the only answer to this topic is Delilah

inertia

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:39 pm »

I remembered these as well.

1. Never give your age or location in your profile
2. Adopting an avatar which is already in use by someone else will save you having to think of one for yourself. Try also to choose one which moves or flashes; they’re so amusing.
3. Always post on a non-specific board, particularly if your question is of a highly technical nature.
4. A title which actually explains your question is a waste of time; nobody reads those. Instead use a phrase which conjures up curiosity e.g. “Help needed”.
5. Typing in capital letters throughout will make your question stand out for those who have poor eyesight.
6. Never use a spell checker. You’re not helping the language evolve by doing that.
7. Punctuation is for pussies. A ‘stream of consciousness’ approach is far more interesting.
8. Capital letters for proper names is also optional; e.g. we don’t mind whether you ‘help your Uncle Jack off his horse’ or ‘help your uncle jack off his horse’.
9. Try to move discussion away from the original topic as quickly as possible.
10. Never, ever give a direct answer to a simple question e.g. “Which Brand X speed controller should I use?” should be answered “I use Brand Y”. Questions like this are also an invitation to give a lengthy discourse on the entire subject, irrespective of whether or not you know anything about it.
11. Never read any posts in a thread apart from the original and the most recent.
12. If you do read any other posts then copying someone else’s reply and re-posting it yourself will emphasise to others what a good answer you think it is.
 13. Give only the absolute minimum of detail about the model in question. Specifics such as its name, size, type, number of motors etc will only clutter up the posting.
14. You can avoid the software’s rude-word editing function by substituting numbers for letters e.g. 0 = o and 8 = B. Unfortunately there are no useable substitutes for F or T.
15. This country has laws permitting freedom of expression so you can post anything you like on an Internet forum with total impunity.
16. The use of “textspeak” will show everyone how young and groovy UR.
17. It is forbidden to thank anyone for a helpful reply; only cissies do things like that.
18. Never post requests for copies of instructions; real men throw those away because they don’t need them.
19. If you are required to make a minimum of posts before you can access certain privileges (e.g. a sales board) then make up the number with helpful comments such as “Nice finish, dude” and “I have one of those, too”.
20. Ignore any reference to Forum Rules – they don’t apply to you…   ;D

and finally
21. At all costs avoid being recognised as an expert. No-one likes a smart alec.

...but Delilah?? Come on, Admiral - don't keep us in suspenders.   :o
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 01:40:20 pm »

Oh DM - need you really ask?  %)

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »

Stav and Milbs.................I think we old men of the "sea" should start charging for our long formed knowledge and information......... %) :o .....then perhaps people might take our knowledge as what it is......... knowledge and experience............and not arrogance.............and then they might take notice of what we say, do and practice.............and in that way, they wouldn't make so many fundamental mistakes on their rapid builds........ykwim!!! %% {-) {-) {-) O0 O0

T33cno

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 01:48:29 pm »

As a newcomer a year ago I was much more appreciative of answers specifically directed at my question than wading through mud as it can sometimes feel with so much information to read.

If I was offered more than one solution as is often the case I went with what I thought best.
As long as newbies take up modelling there will always be much repetition but taking the time for individuals wins friends  :-)

inertia

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »

Oh DM - need you really ask?  %)

Colin

'Fraid so. Been soldering P96's all morning and my brain hurts...
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 01:58:02 pm »

I think the only answer to this topic is Delilah

Another Mr Jones said that and was knighted %) %)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 02:18:16 pm »

Another Mr Jones said that and was knighted %) %)

Ned

they'll give gongs to anyone these days..................even footballers, I believe <*<

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »

they'll give gongs to anyone these days..................even footballers, I believe <*<

The balls of my feet will never be Knighted ;D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »

Oh, yeah....."Why? Why? Why, Delilah?"
It's in a song, innit?
And there's me trying to think of an acronym clean enough to post.

Ah, well - 144 x P95's await.
Yippee...
DM

Ned
Why be obscure when you can be completely unfathomable? Discuss (800 words)
Neil
YIDKWYM.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.