Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHY WHY WHY ( ... why not just ask?!)  (Read 4876 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: WHY WHY WHY
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »

Oh, yeah....."Why? Why? Why, Delilah?"
It's in a song, innit?
And there's me trying to think of an acronym clean enough to post.

Ah, well - 144 x P95's await.
Yippee...
DM

Ned
Why be obscure when you can be completely unfathomable? Discuss (800 words)
Neil
YIDKWYM.

Unfathomable Hey Ho :-))
Never be 6 feet under then {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 04:17:57 pm »

Unfathomable Hey Ho :-))
Never be 6 feet under then {-)

Ned

Never thought about it before but I suppose thats how the saying came into being . Deeper than the length of the lead line can measure !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 05:44:08 pm »

As a newbie (am I still one?) I agree with all that has been said. I've asked a few questions but I have searched first and read most, if not all, the relevant posts on this and other forums because for me that is all part of the fun and adds to the interest.

Even I as a newbie, tut when I read a post asking something that has already been asked very recently on another thread. Why not just add to it if your specific question hasn't been answered?

I have been guilty of asking technical questions in the non-technical sections but as a beginner what's wrong with asking in the Beginners section etc? I've noticed that posts tend to get more answers than if posted in the Technical section anyway.

What hasn't been said and is a reason that some get annoyed with the same old and badly worded and vague questions is that it is sometimes pretty obvious that the person posting isn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer!     
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

inertia

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 05:46:59 pm »

If it hasn't been done already you could run a very long thread about the commonly used English words and phrases that have a nautical origin.

This thread, however, was a cri de coeur from Stavros and I apologise for drifting away from that.
Dave - I've no idea what the answer is, but you won't stop it by complaining. In my experience half the enjoyment of the hobby is finding out things for myself, not just asking someone else for an answer. You seldom gain an understanding of the matter - you just get an answer.
Others clearly don't see it like that: "I'm in a hurry so I want it all and I want it now, then I can move on to next business".
Like my Dad used to say, "it takes all sorts - unfortunately".
Your choice is simple - either reply to such questions or ignore them.
Chris - You can say that, but I couldn't possibly comment!

DM

T33cno

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »

A few slates short of a roof ?
Not quite a full box of matches   {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 06:08:34 pm »

People just like definitive answers to open ended questions.

... "How long is a piece of string?"  - Forty Two
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »

nah, martin,,,.............. reckon it's 40.5.........and anyone who argues...............well.........there we go again.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »

I'm trying to think constructively about this. Is their any way on this forum to put a FAQ section at the top?
 It could have a small number of headings. i.e, painting models with a link to the masterclass, how do I plank a hull to the planking tutorial, and oil or grease in a prop shaft to.....   A different forum. I'm sick of seeing that one.
 If it can be done, I'm sure you'll all have some good ideas.
Maybe a link to a medical site on keeping our blood pressure down would be good too.
Chas.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 06:48:47 pm »

DON'T PANIC!
The first page in
The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, starring : Arthur Dent, Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 06:55:28 pm »

We tried that in the early days... 90% became 'sticky' topics!

The search does work but I think people do a Google search, end up here on Mayhem but don't think to do a search here!

( NB: Mayhem search works best if you start from the Forum home page. )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 07:06:31 pm »

For crying out loud ,like Dave's dad said it takes all sorts, can we stop all the bitching .lets talk about model boats

Dave  >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:08 pm »

Or maybe we should just celebrate that we have someone posting (new or new to the specific topic) in this dying hobby of ours?

If we just looked up things and found the answer from historic posts then the forum would be mighty quiet...

I have reflected on this thread - I use Google sometimes hundreds of times a day yet I rarely search the Mayhem forum before posting.

I posted just the other day asking about a glue gun - should I have searched the history first? - I didn't

Personally I find the whole thread very negative and can see that it could well put off some people asking questions for fear of some of the forum elders shouting and ranting at them - this is a hobby and supposed to be enjoyable.

The whole thing could have been dealt with simply - a reply post showing where the answer was located with a link to the historic post

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: WHY WHY WHY ( ... why not just ask?!)
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 07:41:36 pm »

Vive le difererence. I haven't found this thread especially negative, but it has highlighted a possible problem. If the people well qualified to answer a question are thinking, " oh no, not again. I can't be bothered "  , the poster may get poor answers to there question.
   Encouraging posters to think about an issue has to be to everyone's interest. As Dave said, working things out is half the fun.
You can shoot me down now.
Chas

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:24 pm »

You are Both wrong re the length of a piece of string it is always Twice the length from the middle

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:46 pm »

Vive le difererence. I haven't found this thread especially negative, but it has highlighted a possible problem. If the people well qualified to answer a question are thinking, " oh no, not again. I can't be bothered "  , the poster may get poor answers to there question.
   Encouraging posters to think about an issue has to be to everyone's interest. As Dave said, working things out is half the fun.
You can shoot me down now.
Chas

I think that is a wonderful and very fair answer to something that could, as has happened more times than not, turned ugly, but has summed up the situation succinctly, and I think there is no further point in going round in ever decreasing circles............e all know where that leads too.......ad to save acrimony, may I suggest the topic is locked, 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 08:54:10 pm »

Yes, rant mode off everyone!    O0

Locked.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.