Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old steam fire engine  (Read 1229 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Old steam fire engine
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:35 pm »

Following MarkT's beautiful steam build got me thinking of yesteryear.

When I was 2nd year apprentice (1979), we had been given a project to restore an old steam fire engine. It had languished in an old barn for years and years and was in a sorry state. But after 12 months hard work, all done on site, she was fully restored to full working condition. Every part was stripped down, cleaned, remanafactured if needed. Even the paint work was stripped back, well over 12 layers, we found the original colours and name - THORNEY. Some bod in HR did some digging and dignetaries came and went. All very nicey nicey. The best part was its first public appearance with local firefighters dressed in period uniform with 4 horses charging into the arena at a local fete, smoke and ash flying everywhere, then they squirted water everywhere, absolute mayhem. Kids loved, we (apprentices) loved it and the firefighters loved it, even though they where black from head to foot, wet through, thoroughly exhausted, plus they now had to clean the engine as it now stands in the entrance to Beds fire and rescue HQ, well it did when I lived there 17 years ago.
Enough waffling.......one of the few pics i could find of her, long before the digital age!

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: Old steam fire engine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:39:11 pm »

Found a few more pics of the engine. If you zoom in on the plaque on the front you can see our plate made for the occasion.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:27 pm »

what a beautiful machine, and a beautiful job you guys did to restore her.........fabulous. :-))

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »

Thanks Neil.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:52:58 pm »

Now that is absolutely lovely and something that you should be extremely proud of.  Things like this just do not get done anymore well not from what I've seen anyway.  This post made me think about a job I did in 1987 for the science museum in London.  I commissioned the steam plant for the engine in the picture.  It took weeks but I'll never ever forget the Directors face when it moved and ran for the first time in 60 years.  He later told me that a previous company tried to commission it and had fractured the main cylinder.  It had taken years to repair and they were still suing that company!!  We did slightly flood the basement due to the condensate that it produced but they weren't too bothered than god!

I was 20 years old and self employed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.