Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange Peel Effect using Halfords Appliance White Aerosol  (Read 7019 times)

RST

Re: Orange Peel Effect using Halfords Appliance White Aerosol
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:23 pm »

In my experience white primer from Halfords never used to be "soft" -until the last few cans I've had anyway.  In any case I can tell you most of Halfords rattle cans have been acrylic for a very long time.  proper paint (cely) was banned in Scotland a very long time before England -it's been a nightmare to get proper paint up here for a good while unless you were commercial.

FerryNostalgic

...Did you get any scotchbrite?  It's brilliant at cutting back round detail.  It may save you allot of hassle -particularly on leaving paint as-is.  It's as rough or delicate as you buy it and use-it.  It may save you allot of hassle!

Worth noting also humidity is a spray painting killer, possibly more with airbrush than rattle can.  You need a reasonably dry (and warm) environment) to spray.  I have a relatively cheap dehumidifier I use for drying clothes, my last one lasted 10 years constantly drying clothes and setting up rooms for spraying.  Can't complain and no complaints of orange peel -varnish clouding.

Hope this helps,

Rich

FerryNostalgic

• Ferry Enthusiast
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:57 pm »

@RST

Thanks for your advice. I will get Scotchbrite but for this I just used a combination of 400 and 600 sandpaper and Modelcraft flexi-sanders to get around all the awkward bits. Unfortunately this model ship has protruding window frames which made it doubly difficult. I sanded down the orange-peel surface and re-coated with Optima High-Build Primer (from Euro Car Parts) which has given me a perfectly smooth finish and hidden the worst of the imperfections.

Now I just need to spray over it with white paint (but I won't be using Halfords Appliance White). I'm tempted to use my recently acquired airbrush but will bear in mind your note of caution regarding humidity. It's not particularly humid here in London right now, just a little cold. I just need to find the right shade of white. Time to speak to a car paint supplier...

JP

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »

As I see from the spec sheet. But I also see it is named gloss white, it is not named appliance white. The true appliance whitch they used to stock was totally incompatible with their car paint range.

Just got home from working away . Looked at the back of the can of Appliance white gloss and it say Acrylic

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 06:15:43 pm »

Hi JP
Before you decide on what white to do . It would be worth considering what type of paint you are going to use for the hull green/orange. This could have an effect on what paint you can use .
John 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.