Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nordkap  (Read 2049 times)

Zil

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Nordkap
« on: January 21, 2018, 04:49:29 pm »

Hello all fellow boaters .santa bought me the nordkap and I'm have a bit of a problem ..the motor if I keep it inline with the prop shaft it will need a big chunk cut out of the bottom not a good idea.so I was thinking of using belt drive my problem is where do I get said belt drive as I dont want to use a universal joint at such a steep angle .motor is 12 volt

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Nordkap
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:26:20 pm »

You could do worse than peruse the Motionco website, http://www.motionco.co.uk/. There ought to be something there to suit your needs.

Greg

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:37 pm »

Hi Zil
Iv'e used a few of these motors with it having the gearbox the out put shaft is low
Just an idea good price too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-1-MFA-Large-Single-Ratio-Metal-Motor-Integral-Gearbox/192421253277?hash=item2ccd33509d:g:79wAAOSw~o5aUylK

Jason

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:46 am »

G'day Zil,

I have used the following since the early 80's and it works fine on my big tugs. It's a product called "Redthane" Belting and it's a hollow polyurethane O ring section which is infinitely adjustable in length and joined by an aluminium stud/joiner.
I also turn my own pulleys to suit the application. The image shows the installation in my Iron Cove, and it drives a 6"x 4 blade prop with no slip.
Ordinary O rings don't last long in use, but this stuff lasts for years. I also use it for the drive belts on my Emco Unimat SL lathe.
The advantage over notched timing belts is that you simply cut and join to suit the length required. And it's quiet in operation, not like the geared reduction motors.
Ian

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:01 am »

I've used a Robbe 755/40 in my Nordkap, and I had to cut in two frames, one to accomodate the coupling and the other one where the motor went. In order to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, I've inverted the motor mount. Basically, my motor hangs in the support.
For the same reason, I've also cut the frames where the battery sits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.